Question for a new hunter

Bassoneer

My son has been dating this girl who is a hunter...her dad brought her up that way and she can shoot a deer, clean it, cut it up, wrap and freeze and probably even cook it too.  My son and I are not a hunters.  We love the outdoors...he has fished since he could walk.  And we love firearms - shoot every chance we get.  He is very good with safely handling guns...mostly been around handguns, but some rifles and shotguns.  He is going to turn 20 soon and has asked if I might consider getting him a hunting rifle for his birthday.  He is planning to take the hunter safety class at John Sevier, and he can store the rifle in my safe when he's not using it...so I'm thinking about it.

My question is what to get him without breaking the bank.  He really likes everything to be camo (even his truck seats and bed spread are camo).  He sent me a text with a photo of a Savage XP, camo, with some type of scope attached at Bud's for $369.  I have heard good things about Savage arms for hunting rifles, but just wanted to get some more input.  What is a good first (real/quality) gun that won't make me go broke?  I just assume 30-06 is the caliber, but would like input on that as well.  I'm guessing $300-$500 including the scope if possible.

Thanks in advance!  B

This package is the best deal you will find in the price range you want to be. He will probably want to upgrade things later on, but 700 is King and this would give him a starter platform.

Dicks use to have these every year, but I don’t know if they do anymore.

I would go with the .308. Nothing wrong with the 30-06, but plenty more options in .308 rifles (AR) and availability of surplus range ammo; the .308 will take anything he will run into in North America. Resale is better on a .308 also.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=GM443637

This package is the best deal you will find in the price range you want to be. He will probably want to upgrade things later on, but 700 is King and this would give him a starter platform.

Dicks use to have these every year, but I don’t know if they do anymore.

I would go with the .308. Nothing wrong with the 30-06, but plenty more options in .308 rifles (AR) and availability of surplus range ammo; the .308 will take anything he will run into in North America. Resale is better on a .308 also.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=GM443637

This would be a great choice.  Aftermarket support for the 700 is huge.  That way he could upgrade things later on if he wanted to.

Here's another option for you:  https://grabagun.com/ruger-american-rifle-308win-22-inch-4rd-wolf-camo.html

I would also go with 308 over the '06.  It will kill any game in TN and ammo is cheaper with a wider selection. 

Hard to beat a Savage 110/111 or Remington 700.  You can't really go wrong with .270, .308, or .30-06.  

Most of the package scopes are ok, but that is a good place to spend a little extra money.  

Another option, especially if you are hunting in heavy brush, would be a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94.  The Marlin is easier to mount a scope if he needs it.  

Good advice above and I agree, a .308 is a better caliber for big game around here.
I would also look for a 30/30 lever action like quiet guy mentioned. It is a fantastic woods gun and offers distance as well. That would be my first choice personally. Who needs camo?!?
He is young, he doesn't need a scope yet :D Edited by Ugly

I would stick with either .270, .308 for around here, with the .270 getting the bigger nod.  While other calibers like the 30/30 are OK for under 100 yards, so can the other two but stretch it out and the 30/30 just can't keep up.  If you get a Rem 700 or Win mod 70 you won't be disappointed.

Think about recoil.  The vast majority of us shoot better the lower the recoil.  Personally I would lean towards a 270 which will be good for up to and including elk. The .30-30 is also a great choice and it is good out to 200 yards, especially with Hordany Leverevolution ammo but I would lean towards a used Marlin with the "JP" proof mark on the barrel near the action as the quality is generally better than the newer ones.  

Thanks for all the input!  You guys are better than an encyclopedia.  I guess I am just old and remember when everybody used 30-06, but I am certainly interested in the .308 now.  I'm going to take a look at Savage and Remington 700.  Thanks again!!!  B

Take aloooong hard look at the Savage model 11 hog hunter in .308
Pretty much THE best bang for the buck hunting rifle money can buy. The Axis is a fantastic rifle for less cash up front, but the model 11 is FAR superior. A decent 2-7 or 3-9 scope in the $150 bracket (my pick is Vortex. All my guns wear them now!) & he's set for life. Everything from TN coyotes to Alaska moose.
.30-06 has a bit more velocity, but they both shoot the exact same bullet & at anything under 800yds, the critter won't know the difference.
As has been mentioned, .308 is far more common & cheaper to boot.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/78093/redirect Edited by robtattoo

I don't think you are going to do a 700 in your budget.  I'd take a look at the Ruger American.  I don't own one but I had a scope failure on a hunt this past season and grabbed my buddies American and dropped one deer at 300 yards and then two more at 250 and 125.  It is a more than capable gun and imo it's the best bang for your buck.  I'm partial to .270 as well.  There is no one right answer when it comes to caliber, much of it depends on what terrain you want to hunt.  I like to hunt wide open spaces and the .270 has served me very well.  I have noticed with light ammo, I use 130 grain bullets, I don't get the quick kills under 100 yards that I get past 100, out to 200 and even 300, though currently 300 is my personal limit.  I think that the bullet is moving so fast under 100 yards that it is not expanding properly.  Once it gets out further out slows down a little and really does a good job.  Under 100 and I'm seeing deer running 30-40 yards and then folding up.

I don't think anyone's talking it down Gregg, just pointing out that everything else is better! ;)
Seriously though, the old, venerable '06 really is the best all round cartridge money can buy, however at actual hunting ranges it doesn't do anything the .308 can't with less recoil & expense.

In hunting ammunition, no. But as far as practice & range time go, surplus fmj 7.62x51 is much, much cheaper

Agreed, but does shooting surplus FMJ really give you much of an indication of performance in hunting conditions?  

My primary deer rifle is .308, so I get where you are going.  However, the thread is about hunting.  I have never judged my hunting rifles on performance with mil-spec or surplus rounds.  I want to know how my rifle will perform with the actual round I will be using, whether it is off the shelf or hand-loaded.  

• Like 1

Agreed, but does shooting surplus FMJ really give you much of an indication of performance in hunting conditions?  

My primary deer rifle is .308, so I get where you are going.  However, the thread is about hunting.  I have never judged my hunting rifles on performance with mil-spec or surplus rounds.  I want to know how my rifle will perform with the actual round I will be using, whether it is off the shelf or hand-loaded.  

Why yes, I zeroed and practice with mil .308 in my Rem 700.  I confirm zero with my hunting rounds, but they are within hunting zero of my practice rounds ~1 inch high at 100yds.  Same goes with my 5.56, well within milspec rounds zero.  And even my 300blk, I practice with varmint 115 grain rounds and hunt with the Barnes 115 blacktips.

Why yes, I zeroed and practice with mil .308 in my Rem 700.  I confirm zero with my hunting rounds, but they are within hunting zero of my practice rounds ~1 inch high at 100yds.  Same goes with my 5.56, well within milspec rounds zero.  And even my 300blk, I practice with varmint 115 grain rounds and hunt with the Barnes 115 blacktips.

See below

Edited by quietguy