Changing carry gun

Out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone besides myself changes out their carry gun. Personal I use whatever fits the job and take the gun out to the range before I carry it. My go to is usually my glock 19. I've taken it to competitions and I'm really comfortable with it. However, sometimes I need a lower profile and use my glock 43 or P938. In the winter months I go with a heavy caliber .45ACP or a .357SIG. I look forward to everyone's input and why.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
The only reason I change my carry gun is if I must carry in deep concealment. In that case, I will carry the wife's LCP. The other 99.9% of the time, it's my 19. To me, being able to draw and operate that firearm should come as second nature because you've practiced and put in so much time with it. I just don't have the time to get to that level with multiple pistols, nor do I want to.
  • Like 1

I change often, I must be the weird one.  Sometimes I like the various Glocks, others the various Sigs, and then there is the 1911 and the Beretta.  I believe my team of rotation has feelings, and if they don't get love, then they may not function when needed. 

• Like 2
For you guys that change carry weapons often, serious question.
Do you believe you will have the wherewithal to draw and fire effectively when you change a lot? Especially if switching from a weapon without manual safety to one with, etc.?

Do you believe you will have the wherewithal to draw and fire effectively when you change a lot? Especially if switching from a weapon without manual safety to one with, etc.?

I've never had an issue with it.  I've shot all of my guns quite a bit and feel comfortable with them all.  Any idiot can get used to a Glock.  1911's are carried l cocked and locked, it's second nature to me to throw the safety on the draw.  The 642 that I rarely carry anymore takes about as much skill as the Glock to operate.  The first carry gun I ever had was a Bersa Thunder.  I didn't like the safety on it, nor do I like any gun as a carry gun whose safety isn't really easy to operate.

Good point, I practice a lot and usually bring multiple pistols to the range. I carry a few guns with safety, but because the safety is easy to manipulate like the 1911. You can think about like being a race car driver (since many drivers race multiple platforms). Drag car and stock car two different cars, but near same skill set and you got to practice both to be proficient. In the end I'm fully confident in ability to engage with effective shots with any pistol I decide to carry, except revolvers.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I rotate between these depending on weather and how I'm dressed. Smaller carry guns for warm weather, obviously.

Gen 4 G21 .45acp

Gen 4 G22 .40 S&W

FN Five-Seven 5.7x28mm

XDs .45acp

I carry #1 the least because of size 

I carry #2 mostly in the winter

I carry #3 mostly in the cooler months

I carry #4 strictly in the heat of the summer.

I have a couple, but the only real differences are size, caliber and some cosmetics (ss vs blue). I want them to operate the same way, it just gives me a bit more confidence that under stress I know I won't have to think about it.

Size/caliber is about how I'm dressed or the season. I do prefer 45acp in the colder months when ammunition performance can be effected by clothing more.

EXCELLENT question to ask. Anyone who doesn't seriously consider this is asking for trouble, IMHO. As one who also switches a lot, I feel 100% sure I can draw and fire any of the handguns in my rotation. 

It helps that I avoid buying guns with manual safeties and would never even consider carrying any of mine that do have a manual safety. 

Also, I practice drawing whichever one I'm carrying several times before I leave the house, so I don't get caught off guard.

I wonder how many people would get fouled up by something as simple as changing from an unbuttoned cover garment to a pullover to a zip-up jacket. Switching from OWB to IWB or pocket carry seems more risky to me than switching from one gun to another when the carry method stays the same.

• Like 2

All the time. I prefer to carry a full size duty weapon when possible, but that's dependent on a lot of factors as I always carry concealed in public.

My rotation consists of:

Glock 22

Glock 27

Sig Sauer P938

Ruger LCP (more or less relegated to a backup weapon these days).

EXCELLENT question to ask. Anyone who doesn't seriously consider this is asking for trouble, IMHO. As one who also switches a lot, I feel 100% sure I can draw and fire any of the handguns in my rotation. 

It helps that I avoid buying guns with manual safeties and would never even consider carrying any of mine that do have a manual safety. 

Also, I practice drawing whichever one I'm carrying several times before I leave the house, so I don't get caught off guard.

I wonder how many people would get fouled up by something as simple as changing from an unbuttoned cover garment to a pullover to a zip-up jacket. Switching from OWB to IWB or pocket carry seems more risky to me than switching from one gun to another when the carry method stays the same.

To each his own.  The difference between a manual safety on a 1911 and a gun without a safety such as a Glock is that I'm much more likely to hit what I'm shooting at with the 1911.  I can confidently say that I'm not on a target any faster at all with the Glock.  Plus I shoot a Glock embarrassingly bad.  There are other guns with manual safeties that I do not feel this confident about though.

• Like 1

To each his own.  The difference between a manual safety on a 1911 and a gun without a safety such as a Glock is that I'm much more likely to hit what I'm shooting at with the 1911.  I can confidently say that I'm not on a target any faster at all with the Glock.  Plus I shoot a Glock embarrassingly bad.  There are other guns with manual safeties that I do not feel this confident about though.

I totally agree about "To each his own."  I've had a Glock 34, but traded it for a CZ SP-01. Later I had a Glock17 and traded it for a CZ Phantom. Then I had a 1911, but traded it for a CZ PCR. See a pattern? I keep trying other guns and going back to what I like the best.

I have 3 guns I carry often though I do cycle through almost all of them through out the year.  Primarily I carry a Glock 30, Glock 17, or a Beretta Nano.  Most of the depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.   I only cary concealed so depending on what I'm wearing I'll pick my gun.   Day to day around my office I usually carry a Glock.  When I go to the corporate office I usually carry the Nano.  Only the people who know me well in that office know that I carry.  

I change with the seasons...except if something new comes along. I traded for an XDS in 45acp that's as thin as my shield. Wow..what a great gun and very versatile. Besides...I'm always in search of the "perfect carry gun"  ;)