Changing carry gun

Primary Choice: CZ 2075 D RAMI

2ndary Choice: SIG 938

Sometimes in place of the primary choice I'll pick either an ATI Titan 1911 in .45 ACP or Citadel Compact 1911 in 9 mm

The RAMI is my primary choice today for it's lack of complex controls and no need for a safety being it is a decocker. It fits and fills my hand very much like the compact 1911's do. The 1911's were my primary carry previous to the RAMI. Sweeping the thumb safety on the 1911's comes like 2nd nature so I feel good with the choice of the SIG 938 when on days I want a smaller lighter compaion. All are carried in the same type and brand of holster too...

Primary Choice: CZ 2075 D RAM

The RAMI is my primary choice today for it's lack of complex controls and no need for a safety being it is a decocker. It fits and fills my hand very much like the compact 1911's do. The 1911's were my primary carry previous to the RAMI. Sweeping the thumb safety on the 1911's comes like 2nd nature so I feel good with the choice of the SIG 938 when on days I want a smaller lighter compaion. All are carried in the same type and brand of holster too...

Next to the Like Button, this forum needs a High-Five Button.  :)    2075B here, on half-cock in a Tucker's Mini-IWB.

For you guys that change carry weapons often, serious question.
Do you believe you will have the wherewithal to draw and fire effectively when you change a lot? Especially if switching from a weapon without manual safety to one with, etc.?

Personally, I do not do this.  I detest manual safeties, and have never carried a pistol that has one. In a shoot situation, I would probably be dead before I could get a manual safety pistol into action.  I simply do not have the muscle memory to use a that type of pistol.

I switch carry guns often between my Glock 19, Glock 26, Kahr PM9, LCP, and PPQ.  Depends on my mood.  But all of them have one thing in common......no manual safety.  Just draw and pull the trigger.

Nope. I've carried the same pistol since I bought it several years ago. I always carry the same thing the same way. Muscle memory is a powerful thing. After a week driving my work truck, I can hop in the car on a weekend, reach for and miss the window or lock buttons because I'm so used to where they are in my work truck it takes a split second to realize they're not there. If that happens in a complete no stress, doesn't matter situation I can't imagine fumbling around trying to remember which gun I'm carrying or where it is will be any easier if someone is trying to kill me.
  • 1 month later...
I usually alternate between a G17 or LCP based on what I'm doing for the day and and wearing. I'm not a huge fan of external safeties on my EDC gun. I will own a 1911 again someday but it will not be a regular carry based on it's size and conceal ability with how I normally dress, additionally I have shot enough with Glocks now that when I aim with a 1911 I have to quickly adjust for the difference in grip angle. Not the end of the world but I am faster/smoother with my Glock's.
  • 2 weeks later...

The vast majority of the time I carry a Lightweight Commander .45acp year round. On my daily exercise walk I carry a Colt Mustang XSP. Same manual of arms, but smaller and darn near sweat proof. 

Occasionally dress and circumstances call for something else. For serious deep concealment I might stick a tiny .25 auto in my pocket. yeah, I know. But it sure beats harsh language.  ;)

For camping/hiking I prefer the S&W 696 .44 Special. Mid-sized, easy to carry and will handle most any critter I might run across. Two or four legged. 

However, I will admit that every once in a while the mood will strike and just for S&G, I'm liable to reach into the safe and grab whatever suits me. It could be anything from a small pocket pistol up to a big bore N-frame. No particular reason, I just get that way sometimes.  :shrug:

Edited by Grayfox54

For you guys that change carry weapons often, serious question.
Do you believe you will have the wherewithal to draw and fire effectively when you change a lot? Especially if switching from a weapon without manual safety to one with, etc.?

It would affect me, therefore I very seldom carry a gun with a manual safety.
  • Like 1