Harbor Freight Success And Failure Stories

runco

Electric B, I haven't heard about one opening in the "Boro. Where they going to put it?

It’s at the intersection of Old Fort and Bridge (West across the street from Red Lobster). That intersection is already a mess and this will make it really bad. The road to Lowes is about 100 feet back from the intersection traffic light and during busy times it backs up traffic on Bridge. I’m curious to see how the city handles it.

Stuff at Harbor Freight is really cheap. I don’t buy anything except limited use stuff there.
The step drill bits are ok , they are $9 bucks for the three pack not now. Drill soft metal.
I've used and abused a red Chicago corded drill for 10 years. Sounds like a rod bearing is bad, makes hella noise but still does rust and polish duties well.

Do not buy any auto darkening welding helmet, they last one year.
Or their rasp bits for a hand drill. Suck it up and find a snapon or Mac truck.

I have carts and dollys all those have been fine, wheels etc.

I have only gotten a few few things over the years. two 3 ton floor jacks, one 4 ton, a 2 ton engine crane, a one ton engine crane, four 12ton jack stands, four 3 ton jack stands, and two 1 ton engine stands. Out of all of those items, one of the jacks has been beaten to hell and back for the past 4 years and it still works great. And most of the other stuff gets almost daily use. Except for the engine stand and the crane. Those get moderate use.

As most know, some things at Harbor Freight can be hit-and-miss. However, one purchase I do not even slightly regret is my tool chest. For the money (and even more), I don't think you can find a better tool chest. I'm sure it's not $2855658585 Snap-on good, but I've been beyond happy with this purchase. I got mine for $299 during one of their super duper specials.

c033aa077529b0255a7334282926bf40.jpg

Got the same tool box, didnt last past an year. Oddly enough, if you can somehow find a sears, the craftsman ones are pretty dope.

Got the same tool box, didnt last past an year. Oddly enough, if you can somehow find a sears, the craftsman ones are pretty dope.

Wow! I've had this one for going on 4 years, and I haven't had a single problem. I did compare it to some of the Craftsman models, and I wasn't impressed with most of them. I did find that the far more expensive Craftsman models were pretty decent, but I would have had to spend much more money than I could justify. If I had the space, I wouldn't hesitate to add one of the larger tool chests. I'm not ready to give up my parking space, though. [emoji1]

Wow! I've had this one for going on 4 years, and I haven't had a single problem. I did compare it to some of the Craftsman models, and I wasn't impressed with most of them. I did find that the far more expensive Craftsman models were pretty decent, but I would have had to spend much more money than I could justify. If I had the space, I wouldn't hesitate to add one of the larger tool chests. I'm not ready to give up my parking space, though. [emoji1]

The pro line of HF boxes actually have a great reputation. I've worked with several guys that use them daily in a professional shop. It's one of the few things at HF that's actually a pretty good deal.

A guy on Garage Journal did an extremely in depth tool box comparison between the big box stores and HF, and the HF box came out on top by a long way.
  • Like 1

The pro line of HF boxes actually have a great reputation. I've worked with several guys that use them daily in a professional shop. It's one of the few things at HF that's actually a pretty good deal.

A guy on Garage Journal did an extremely in depth tool box comparison between the big box stores and HF, and the HF box came out on top by a long way.

Not sure if this one is part of their pro line, but it's built very well, in my opinion. I'm not sure if a serious mechanic would want to use it all day, every day (maybe they would), but you won't have to take out a second mortgage on your home to buy one, either.
  • Like 1

I wait for the super sales and stock up on consumables like tie-wraps, leather gloves, latex gloves, tape, carter pins, dust masks etc....AND tools also. For occasional home use they seem to be good enough for me. I've got a quick lift rolling jack I've had for 10 years and it still works fine. I bought one of their finish nail guns on super saver sale and have used the crap out of it doing wood working projects and I always buy their nails for the gun and it's still going strong. I have a small side grinder I've used a lot and it's still going like a new one and I always get the discs when they go on sale. I have a heat gun I've used a lot and it's still going strong. I've got a jointed multi-position 3/8 ratchet that has worked really well and has come in very handy may times. I have their wrenches, metric and standard, and have never broke one, but then all I work on is motorcycles and my lawnmowers usually.  I did buy an air powered grease gun that was junk which they took back and they refunded my money with no problem. (I bought another one at O'Reillys and its worked great for about the same price.) I've bought their batteries, AA and AAA mostly, for use in my coyote call and night fishing headlamps and have no complaints on them either especially at 4.99 for a box of 20 on Super Saver sales. They seem to last as long as most name brands. I'd say for consumables, go for it. Tools and other items? I've had good luck (except the air grease gun) but then I'm only an occasional user and if something breaks, I've never had a problem returning the item.

I've got one of their 20 gal compressors.  It's ok.  It's fine for airing up tires and such, but even though it's a 20 gal tank, the tube exiting the tank into the regulator is only 1/4" so it doesn't supply enough air to run my air impact.  It runs my air ratchet fine, runs the die grinder intermittently.  The low pressure switch is set much too low, at about 60 psi, so it runs way down before it kicks on to fill back up.  It leaks oil (not oil-less motor).  It blew the head gasket after a few years, but that was fairly easily fixed.  If used a lot in the summer, it'll over-heat.  I wouldn't buy another one.

That said, I'm in the market for an electric impact wrench.  Anyone care to recommend one?

That said, I'm in the market for an electric impact wrench.  Anyone care to recommend one?

I don't know what kind of cordless tools you have, but I bought the Makita 1/2" Impact for my 18v set and it is impressive.  I looked at corded as well, but it has been well worth having cordless.  I take it on trips where I am pulling a trailer in case I have to change a tire.  My buddy used it to break bolts on an 8ft John Deere Bushog that hadn't had the bolts off the spindles in probably 10 years.  

I bought the bare tool since I already had the batteries.  It was a bit more expensive, but I feel well worth the extra cost for convenience.  If you are using it everyday, then I am not sure I would go cordless, but it last surprisingly long on a single battery.

"I've got one of their 20 gal compressors.  It's ok.  It's fine for airing up tires and such, but even though it's a 20 gal tank, the tube exiting the tank into the regulator is only 1/4" so it doesn't supply enough air to run my air impact.  It runs my air ratchet fine, runs the die grinder intermittently.  The low pressure switch is set much too low, at about 60 psi, so it runs way down before it kicks on to fill back up.  It leaks oil (not oil-less motor).  It blew the head gasket after a few years, but that was fairly easily fixed.  If used a lot in the summer, it'll over-heat.  I wouldn't buy another one.

That said, I'm in the market for an electric impact wrench.  Anyone care to recommend one?"

I have a Campbell Hausfeld set I bought on craigslist a couple of years ago. It's a well used set but was very cheap. It looks like crap but works like a champ.

Edited by Randall53

I've had good luck with my HF purchases, though nothing has had a motor in it.  I get mostly consumables there, moving blankets, tarps, tie wraps.

A couple of tools for once in a while use.  I picked up the brake line vacuum bleeder for working on my car, it worked ok (none of the adapters for the bleeder valve fit my car so I had to rig something up to keep the vacuum, no biggie).

Just last night I picked up an inspection camera that I'd been looking at.  It's on sale, plus I had a 20% off coupon.  Used it last night changing a light bulb in the car, worked great.

Now that there is a HF store in Collierville, I might be in trouble.

• Like 1

I've had good luck with my HF purchases, though nothing has had a motor in it. I get mostly consumables there, moving blankets, tarps, tie wraps.

A couple of tools for once in a while use. I picked up the brake line vacuum bleeder for working on my car, it worked ok (none of the adapters for the bleeder valve fit my car so I had to rig something up to keep the vacuum, no biggie).

Just last night I picked up an inspection camera that I'd been looking at. It's on sale, plus I had a 20% off coupon. Used it last night changing a light bulb in the car, worked great.

Now that there is a HF store in Collierville, I might be in trouble.

The Collierville store is nice.... And right around the corner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had great tools from HB as long as you know the limitations before you buy.  Related to guns, I have their mini chop saw to convert my 300Blk, their wet tumbler and vibratory tumbler as well.  I have assorted hand tools such as posthole digging bar and sockets for my impact wrenches.  I even bought an electric pole saw to trim my trees, works fine.  Their motors and steel are not the best but hold up long enough and priced low enough that when they do break you got your money out of them.  I guess the bottom line is, if you need a tool for a project and your livelihood does not depend on such a tool then they will do.

The only thing that I've bought from them that has worked for any appreciable amount of time is a wire welder and a cut-off saw for cutting 5.56 brass for 300 BLK brass. I bought a drill that broke in half at the first use. Pretty much I stay away from the place unless I want something cheap that's unimportant like wheels, O-rings, and such.

I don't know what kind of cordless tools you have, but I bought the Makita 1/2" Impact for my 18v set and it is impressive.  I looked at corded as well, but it has been well worth having cordless.  I take it on trips where I am pulling a trailer in case I have to change a tire.  My buddy used it to break bolts on an 8ft John Deere Bushog that hadn't had the bolts off the spindles in probably 10 years.  

I bought the bare tool since I already had the batteries.  It was a bit more expensive, but I feel well worth the extra cost for convenience.  If you are using it everyday, then I am not sure I would go cordless, but it last surprisingly long on a single battery.

Thanks, I've read that the Makita is a good one.  I've got a Makita circular saw, and it's great.  I'm on the fence as to corded or cordless.  I really wouldn't use it that much and it seems like every time I need to use my drill, the dang battery is dead so I have to wait an hour for it to charge.  At this point, I think dealing with an extension cord would be less annoying than batteries that are always dead when I need them. 

I bought a couple power tools and a couple hand tools from HF. 100% failure rates on first try. Took it back for replacement. It all immediately failed again. Haven't been back. Not worth my time. Fortunately I was only out all of $50 ... which should have been my first clue.

Has anyone ever bought one of those tennis racket shaped bug zappers?
They look entertaining....

I bought a couple once. They work.

Ha, I got three of them for free with coupons.  Love them things.

• Like 1