10mm Choices ....

I've been watchin this a bit to get the lay parts of the discussion...The disparaging and "caliber war" parts, especially....Here is a dispatch from the long ago...

I'm old enough to remember when there was a revolutionary new addition to that greatest killer of them all, the 45ACP... It showed up in the seventies and i shot a bunch of 'em thru various 1911's, and handloaded em by the hundreds (...maybe even to the 1000's...)... It wuz called the "flying ashtray"... An instant "defensive ammo" success... It wuz a 185 grain JHP loaded to about 1000 fps... Heralded as a "game changer; and more likely a "game ender"... And it wuz if ya got hit by one...

.Everybody loved 'em who pined for something "better" than the old "hardball" loads in the ACP... Things were saner in those days, and no one dared call a 185 grain, 1000 fps 45CP load "wimpy" or "short and weak"...

Fast forward until today... Thirty five or so years later, folks call a 40 caliber, 180 grain JHP travelling at 950 FPS "inadequate"... "short and weak", etc... Ya get the picture... My have things have changed...

Think about it...

leroy, the "rememberer of the old days"...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

T

here will ALWAYS be caliber "wars" and these kind of discussions. Just practice and be proficient ant what you are shooting!

1 hour ago, sybo said:

T

here will ALWAYS be caliber "wars" and these kind of discussions. Just practice and be proficient ant what you are shooting!

Drinking early this morning?

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:20 AM, leroy said:

I've been watchin this a bit to get the lay parts of the discussion...The disparaging and "caliber war" parts, especially....Here is a dispatch from the long ago...

I'm old enough to remember when there was a revolutionary new addition to that greatest killer of them all, the 45ACP... It showed up in the seventies and i shot a bunch of 'em thru various 1911's, and handloaded em by the hundreds (...maybe even to the 1000's...)... It wuz called the "flying ashtray"... An instant "defensive ammo" success... It wuz a 185 grain JHP loaded to about 1000 fps... Heralded as a "game changer; and more likely a "game ender"... And it wuz if ya got hit by one...

.Everybody loved 'em who pined for something "better" than the old "hardball" loads in the ACP... Things were saner in those days, and no one dared call a 185 grain, 1000 fps 45CP load "wimpy" or "short and weak"...

Fast forward until today... Thirty five or so years later, folks call a 40 caliber, 180 grain JHP travelling at 950 FPS "inadequate"... "short and weak", etc... Ya get the picture... My have things have changed...

Think about it...

leroy, the "rememberer of the old days"...

Ditto. Does this make me old? lol

I still like the 185 grain rounds, and have maybe 500 JHP lying around for "special use."

• Like 1
5 hours ago, hipower said:

Ditto. Does this make me old? lol

I still like the 185 grain rounds, and have maybe 500 JHP lying around for "special use."

Hipower...

We ain't old brother, we are just "aged" a bit.. HEHEHE... Great ta hear about the "special use" ammo... I got a few layin around myself...

leroy

• Like 1
3 hours ago, leroy said:

Hipower...

We ain't old brother, we are just "aged" a bit.. HEHEHE... Great ta hear about the "special use" ammo... I got a few layin around myself...

leroy

"Aged" Yes...like a fine wine. We get better with age. Right? Well...some do. I'm falling apart faster than a speeding hp round hitting a block of  ballistic gel.

• Like 1