iPhone 5s water damage

So my wife's iPhone 5s got water damage. The home button quit working. So we went and bought a new phone and had the Verizon SIM card swapped over. Now that about a week has passed the old phone is now working properly. Does the iPhone 5s 32 gig without SIM card have any value? The indicator inside the SIM card port was red indicating water had got in there. I hate to throw it away.

Yes, it does have value if it works.  I don't know the best way to sell it.  There are plenty of charities that will accept it as a donation.

I had an Apple Macbook Pro with some water damage.  I sold it on Craigslist.  Of course I acknowledged that it had water damage.

You shouldn't have any difficulty selling it to somoeone, even with the history of water damage, as buyers are always looking for a deal. But another option is to download one of the I-Phone surveillance camera apps... https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/surveillance-camera/id331398513?mt=8 . Since your phone is probably already paid for you can use it for discrete wireless remote monitoring of work or home. I know people who have purchased outdated I-Phones just to do this as a less expensive home security system they've tied into their WIFI.  

Even if it is working properly, you could still have some moisture inside.  Turn the phone off ASAP.  Fill a small container with dry rice, and immerse the phone inside.  Let it sit for a couple of days in a warm dry place.  

Then you can use it as described above, as an iPod, etc.  

• Like 1

Don't sell it for parts, sell it as a working phone.  Craigslist would be best because there's no buyer's remorse.  If not, list it on ebay and be honest because people will freak out and accuse you of trying to scam them if you don't mention it and they see the detector strip turned.

and as the others have said, next time it happens, power it off and stick it in rice for a few days.  Unless there was an actual short that occurred, it should fix the issue.

Edited by Sam1

I recently shopped the used market for this phone they were going for around $150.  That was undamaged of course, but as long as it's working fine I'd say it should fetch $120-130.

Edited by 10-Ring