another case of Glock leg

"Friends had applied pressure to the gunshot wound in attempt to control the bleeding and officers then put a tourniquet on the leg. Brumbaugh was taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries, according to police."

Tourniquet for a non-life threatening injury? Somebody needs another first aid class.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
I would guess reholstering after dinner. Dude probably left his weapon in the car and wore his holster in the restaurant. I'll never understand this practice. Concealed means concealed.....unable to detect....cannot be seen. When I carry concealed the only places I stay away from have wands and metal detectors. Unless I'm packin' my Glock 7 which is the ceramic model that can't be detected.
  • Like 5

How about just eating somewhere that isn't posted instead of supporting businesses that post.  My wife (she's new to Nashville) told me the other day that she had heard that the Loveless Cafe had good biscuits.  I told her that I would never know.

• Like 6
Every time I think about getting a new gun with a better trigger, I hear a story like this. Then, I don't feel so bad carrying an LC9 with a "legendary" trigger and manual safety stuck in in my pants.

I figure if people with more experience than me can shoot themselves in the leg or butt, maybe I'll just continue to train with what I have.
  • Like 3

"Friends had applied pressure to the gunshot wound in attempt to control the bleeding and officers then put a tourniquet on the leg. Brumbaugh was taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries, according to police."

Tourniquet for a non-life threatening injury? Somebody needs another first aid class.

My guess is that there's very little chance the reporter who wrote the story knows the difference between a tourniquet and a bandage to soak up the blood. "He wrapped a white rag around they guy's leg, must be a tourniquet, what else could it be?"  Remember these guys think that earplugs are rubber bullets.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 1

I would guess reholstering after dinner. Dude probably left his weapon in the car and wore his holster in the restaurant. I'll never understand this practice. Concealed means concealed.....unable to detect....cannot be seen. When I carry concealed the only places I stay away from have wands and metal detectors. Unless I'm packin' my Glock 7 which is the ceramic model that can't be detected.

That is why I like a kydex inside the waistband holster.  You just unhook the clip and slide holster and all out and then when you want to put it back on, you slide it back in.   The trigger guard is protected inside the kydex the entire time.

• Like 3

Every time I think about getting a new gun with a better trigger, I hear a story like this. Then, I don't feel so bad carrying an LC9 with a "legendary" trigger and manual safety stuck in in my pants.

I figure if people with more experience than me can shoot themselves in the leg or butt, maybe I'll just continue to train with what I have.

No problems 'yet' but sort of regret replacing my Glock 19 factory with a 3.5 pound kit. Though it's crisp and feels great...

Cheesecake factory is already posted right? Maybe he was slyly, and unwisely (obviously) trying to unholster so he could get some overpriced food.

I can't remember. Last time I was at that mall, the mall entrances were posted with gun busters but the big box stores were not. The restaurant is a separate building and I can't remember if it is posted. Probably will be now.

I love my Glock, but it doesn't come out of the holster unless I'm about to fire it or clean it. If I have to leave her behind it's holster and all... nice little OWB kydex paddle holster makes this easy. The holster is your primary safety for a Glock. You wouldn't leave your 1911 locked and cocked with the safety off... leaving a loaded Glock unholstered is pretty much the same thing to my mind.

• Like 1

My thoughts are just lack of discipline. . .probably on a re-holster as many of you have mentioned.  You would be surprised how many people shooting IDPA when they go to re-holster after a string, just slam the gun in the holster, get their jacket/shirt/vest caught in the way or whatever and instead of looking down to view the issue and fix it with their other hand, they just continue to blindly pull the gun in and out of the holster trying to get it placed properly.  On many instances the RO reaches a hand in to help pull the obstructing garment back.  This habit is bad enough with an empty gun, but how potentially tragic with a loaded gun. 

• Like 1

My thoughts are just lack of discipline. . .probably on a re-holster as many of you have mentioned.  You would be surprised how many people shooting IDPA when they go to re-holster after a string, just slam the gun in the holster, get their jacket/shirt/vest caught in the way or whatever and instead of looking down to view the issue and fix it with their other hand, they just continue to blindly pull the gun in and out of the holster trying to get it placed properly.  On many instances the RO reaches a hand in to help pull the obstructing garment back.  This habit is bad enough with an empty gun, but how potentially tragic with a loaded gun.

We see the same people lol

You can never draw too fast and you can never holster too slow.
  • Like 1

Cheesecake factory is already posted right? Maybe he was slyly, and unwisely (obviously) trying to unholster so he could get some overpriced food.

No idea if they are posted, but my point is that business owners read incidents like this and think they don't want "accidental discharges" in their establishments and then post them. Right or wrong doesn't really matter at that point.

Yep. If an LC9 goes bang, it's because you really really really wanted it to :). Of course, they had to mess that up with the 9s

As an IDPA newcomer this is something that I have tried to be very careful about.  I'm never in a hurry to reholster as time doesn't matter at that point.  When I start to go towards the holster I make sure that my trigger finger is straight along the side of the gun.  Of course at this point the chamber has been checked by the SO and dry fired, so it's pretty dang safe anyway.  I also pay special attention on the draw to make sure that the trigger finger is straight and off the trigger until I am on target.  I really don't want to be the guy that puts a bullet in his own foot, or the floor in front of me for that matter.

This is why I carry concealed. No one in the Cheesecake Factory is going to know I'm carrying, so no need to unholster/reholster. 

EDITED: It's also why I don't carry a Glock, but that's another story. It's an excellent gun as long as steps are taken to keep Murphy out of the equation.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1