another case of Glock leg

• 1 month later...

The only way that happens is to break at least 2 safety rules at the same time....

Treat all guns as if they are loaded

Don't point at something you are not willing to destroy, pay for or go to jail for.

Keep finger off trigger until your gun is indexed on target

Be aware of target and what is beyond.

You really have to break a MINIMUM of AT LEAST 2 rules to shoot yourself. Guns don't just "go off". They respond to a trigger press...the way they were DESIGNED TO WORK. If you keep the booger hook off the bang switch and don't point it at yourself and make sure your clothing is not down in your holster before you holster then it is pretty much close to impossible to shoot yourself. 

• Like 2

...If you keep the booger hook off the bang switch and don't point it at yourself and make sure your clothing is not down in your holster before you holster then it is pretty much close to impossible to shoot yourself. 

This simply is not accurate. As you have implied, if the tail of the shirt or vest snags in the trigger guard, it can pull the trigger. If the top edge of the holster gets caught in the trigger guard, it can pull the trigger. If you stick your thumb into the trigger guard while holstering or trying to catch a falling gun, it can pull the trigger. Add that to the fact that it is almost impossible to reholster in the 5 o'clock position without painting your hips. Plus, you can't see the holster in the 5 o'clock position. 

I don't reholster while wearing a holster. I take the holster off. The only time I reholster while wearing the holster is when I'm practicing drawing drills with an empty gun and dummy snap-caps.

Sorry... rant over... Do whatever you like...

Not to be a jackass, but if we look at exactly what I said.....if you 

1. Keep fingers out of trigger guard

2. Don't point it at yourself

3. Make sure clothing is not in your holster (or maybe I should have worded it differently and said clothing not impeding the gun)....

.....then it is pretty much impossible to shoot yourself. And I stand by that.

You countered with several instances where clothing DOES get in the way and where you point it at yourself...... I holster my gun every day without pointing it at myself and with fingers and clothing clear of the gun....it's not that difficult if you simply pay attention and do not practice sloppy gunhandling. 

I've been carrying a gun in public concealed for over 20 years....not carrying it once or twice in a 20 year span when I go to a bad neighborhood or other such silliness that the casual gun carrier does, but probably an average of 360 days a year for 20 years in all manner of clothing, weather , environments, threat levels, etc. I've shot over 200 pistol matches and taught over 200 professional firearm classes ranging from TN Handgun carry classes to Advanced pistol classes involving weak handed only access of the pistol and weak handed only reholstering.....In that time I have seen literally THOUSANDS (not exaggerating) of reholstering reps. 

And in all of that time I see the same things over and over....if your finger or clothing are not on the trigger and the gun is not pointed AT YOU when you reholster then it is all but impossible to shoot yourself and if you DO shoot your self it was in every case due to breaking a bare minimum of TWO safety rules. You have to point it at something you are not willing to destroy (your body) and you have to either touch the trigger with one (or more ) of your own digits or a foreign object. That is the ONLY way it happens. Something has to actuate the trigger while it is pointed at you....TWO safety rules broken at same time. 

They don't just go off by themselves. If your holster can pull the trigger then you need to get a new holster and get rid of that one. There are plenty of good quality holsters that will not pull the trigger. Your clothing does not have a mind of its own or the ability to take willful action...it just hangs where it hangs. So you CAN outsmart your clothing and keep it from getting in the trigger guard as you reholster. You just have to take the time to look before shoving the gun in. As to catching falling loaded guns...let them fall. Modern guns are drop safe so let them fall. One of the most dangerous things you can do is to try to catch one....and I'm baffled at how someone can stick their thumb in a trigger guard while reholstering properly.... And you absolutely can (barring extreme obesity) reholster in the 5 o'clock position without pointing the muzzle at yourself.  And there are plenty of people out there who can and do reholster safely everyday without removing the holster. Agreeing with me or not does not change the facts.

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

Muzzle direction...finger placement.....2 rules broken.....

If he had only broken 1 rule and merely pointed at himself without pulling the trigger he'd not have gotten shot. 

If he had only broken 1 rule and merely pulled the trigger with the gun pointed anywhere but at himself he'd not have gotten shot.

But since he broke rules and pulled the trigger with it pointed at himself.....he predictably got shot. Alarmingly simple how that happens. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 2
Strange thing all the same rules apply to knives... Don't point it at your self, don't stab or cut yourself, know where its going to go if it slips. No one has sympathy for the guy that slices himself with a box cutter, but he also doesn't make the news. Its still not a smart thing to do and everyone regrets it when they do. The big difference is how loud it is and the potential for fatal consequences are a bit higher with a firearm. In ALL cases the problem is complacency. We should NEVER be so comfortable with gun handling that we get careless. We should be competent and attentive. A great many of these incidents happen when we are distracted, tired, etc. Those are times when we need to be EXTRA vigilant about our actions.

Strange thing all the same rules apply to knives... Don't point it at your self, don't stab or cut yourself, know where its going to go if it slips. No one has sympathy for the guy that slices himself with a box cutter, but he also doesn't make the news. Its still not a smart thing to do and everyone regrets it when they do. The big difference is how loud it is and the potential for fatal consequences are a bit higher with a firearm. In ALL cases the problem is complacency. We should NEVER be so comfortable with gun handling that we get careless. We should be competent and attentive. A great many of these incidents happen when we are distracted, tired, etc. Those are times when we need to be EXTRA vigilant about our actions.

You could just leave this whole conversation on high heat until it boils down to it's base components.

Personal Responsibility.  Keep your mind on the here and now where it belongs.  Be deliberate in all things.  Man up when you do something stupid.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On March 6, 2016 at 3:35 PM, sschrick said:

Is this type of thing more likely to happen with a Glock than for some other single action semi-auto that is carried with a round in the chamber?   

1 hour ago, Jenny1234 said:

Is this type of thing more likely to happen with a Glock than for some other single action semi-auto that is carried with a round in the chamber?   

As far as comparable models, no. Just the high proportionality of Glocks being the weapon of choice. You can certainly shoot yerself in the ass with any of them via unsafe behavior. Or elsewhere of course.

Reholstering seems to be involved with many occurrences, so that should be taken quite seriously. While a quick draw can certainly be beneficial, a quick reholster is almost never needed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I put an upgraded trigger on my Glock and tested to see how 'easy' an AD would be.

i had to pull and hold a thick fleece jacket (couldn't get it to happen with a T shirt) through the trigger guard and push really hard into the holster to get it to 'click'.