Fuel Efficient Vehicles

I wanted to see from some of the bigger guys out there what you're driving that's fuel efficient.

As I've been working on my degree and applying for jobs it's become very apparent I'll be driving to Chattanooga most likely. I've seen one IT job posted here in Cleveland. Driving a Jeep just isn't going to cut it anymore if I'm driving to Chattanooga or further on a daily basis.

So I'm currently searching for a more fuel efficient vehicle. I've looked at a Mazda CX-5 and Honda CR-V for a bigger vehicle that's got better gas mileage. Those still seem to top out at 30 MPG best case scenario, though.

I have looked at the Prius and Civic, but haven't test driven either one yet. I think I'd have a heck of a time clawing my way out of one though...

What are you guys driving that you're happy with? Just wanted some ideas on vehicles I should be looking into and giving a test drive.

Also if you have any dealers you like dealing with in Cleveland, Chattanooga, or elsewhere I'd be interested in that too.

I wanted to see from some of the bigger guys out there what you're driving that's fuel efficient.

As I've been working on my degree and applying for jobs it's become very apparent I'll be driving to Chattanooga most likely. I've seen one IT job posted here in Cleveland. Driving a Jeep just isn't going to cut it anymore if I'm driving to Chattanooga or further on a daily basis.

So I'm currently searching for a more fuel efficient vehicle. I've looked at a Mazda CX-5 and Honda CR-V for a bigger vehicle that's got better gas mileage. Those still seem to top out at 30 MPG best case scenario, though.

I have looked at the Prius and Civic, but haven't test driven either one yet. I think I'd have a heck of a time clawing my way out of one though...

What are you guys driving that you're happy with? Just wanted some ideas on vehicles I should be looking into and giving a test drive.

Also if you have any dealers you like dealing with in Cleveland, Chattanooga, or elsewhere I'd be interested in that too.

Look at a plugin hybrid or maybe if it will be your 2nd car a pure electric they cost a bit more but their gas millage is way better.  Especially if you take the time to plug then in at night.  Electric drives are way cheaper to run then gas based ones.  If you aren't sure what the electric part will cost look for the kwh per 100 miles on the label most around 30 so at $0.10 per kwh what I pay to Cleveland utilities it would be $3.00 to drive a hundred miles under electric only.

Elio Motors ;)

Had to Google that, hadn't heard of it before.

All I can say is wow. I think I'd be a little-terrified driving that on the interstate. One wrong move and you become a pancake between a couple semis I'd think, though they list several safety features.

My wife is driving a KIA Optima Hybrid.  It's getting about 30Mpg but it should get 40+ but neither of us can keep our foot off the gas like we should.  It's been a great car but we're going to have to sell it because both of our mothers are in wheel chairs now and they both have a hard time getting in and out of it.   My wife decided she wants a 2015 Tahoe so I'm going to miss the good gas milage.

Had to Google that, hadn't heard of it before.

All I can say is wow. I think I'd be a little-terrified driving that on the interstate. One wrong move and you become a pancake between a couple semis I'd think, though they list several safety features.

Technically an enclosed motorcycle with a rollcage and convenience and features of a car. Oh, and 85 mpg and new cost $6,800. 

We just traded my wife's 2006 Lexus for a 2016 Subaru Outback and I'm favorably impressed with the Outback. I have driven a variety of Chevy Tahoes since 1995 and have driven the Outback about a thousand miles since we traded on Feb. 1.  The Outback is equipped with adaptive cruise control (Subaru calls it 'Eyesight') and it works! The 'lane departure' warning also works really well and will actually steer you into your lane if you get distracted. I have experimented with the Eyesight system and have actually had it stop the Outback while I sat there with my foot above the brake if it didn't work fast enough to suit me. Stopped every time!

We got the 4 cylinder version (a 6 cyl is available but scarce) and  the little 4 cyl has plenty of pep. 

You should at least read some reviews and check out the Outback before deciding . . . it's a fine little vehicle!

• Like 2

I just drove about every small/midsize SUV with my parents recently.  If you are a big guy, the CRV may be a bit cramped.  My dad is 6'4" and couldn't really get comfortable.  They did really like the Outback, but for me, I would have to have the V6.    They really liked the CX-5, but in the end, the 2016 Ford Escape got the nod.  Best HP and Torque in class and it get 30mpg.   It was reasonably priced and they have a good incentive going on right now.  If you trade a vehicle in, get a $2000 rebate plus 0% for 60 months.  The dealer in Franklin gave my parents in trade what they expected to get selling their Impala themselves.  We also had Z-plan which made it a no brainer for them.   They were within $500 of a used model with over 20k miles on it.  

If you know anyone who works at Ford, it is well worth looking into.  I would at least drive one if you haven't.  I am not a big Ford guy, but I was pretty impressed with it.

• Like 1
If 30mpg isn't cutting it , I don't know what to tell you. Especially as a big guy.

I'm 6'5" and I simply don't fit in economy cars. And my comfort is worth quite a bit to me. I only get around 15-17 is my Sierra right now.

If I had to get something with better mileage, it would be either the new Colorado, or a Duramax with a programmer. They get 25mpg hwy with 600+ftlbs and absolute comfort. Plus 4x4 if you need it.

If you need over 30mpg, you need to be looking at a bike.
  • Like 1

My wife bought a Prius in 2008. 220,000 miles later it's still getting 53 mpg in town and about 48 on the road. Yes, better mileage in town because it runs electrically a lot in stop and go traffic. It's been very dependable. Only thing I don't like is when the headlight burns out it's $200 a piece. I guess all the good mileage has to make up for that. Still has original brake pads and they are checked every 5000 miles so no complaint there. Last time I got it serviced at the Firestone store the guy told me he had a Prius to come in with over 500,000 miles on it and going strong. Hope mine lasts that long.

• Like 1

Im fairly tall but not heavy,  and I like the prius.  My mom has had one for about 10 years now and its given no trouble at all,  classic Toyota dependability and longevity in a comfortable car.   I have no trouble getting in and out of it,  its not sports car low and its not truck high, its a little lower than your typical car but not "low" by any stretch. 

That said, the thing about hybrids ... they are not really designed for interstate.   It will do it, but its not awesome. 

I would just get a 35-40 MPG family sedan type car that you like for this type of daily drive in.   Something with a moderate 4 cylinder and a low body weight will do quite well. 

• Like 1
I figure I'm average height. I'm about 5'10/11. More of a heavier weight guy these days, though.

I didn't mean for it to sound like 30mpg wasn't good enough, but obviously if I can get even better gas mileage I'd love to. Driving an old grand Cherokee when gad was almost $4 really sucked. I don't expect gas to stay this low forever. Just trying to anticipate the future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I daily a V6 Mustang around 80 miles a day. If I keep my foot out of it I can average ~32MPG on a tank. That is nearly all interstate. If I don't keep my foot out of it I can pull an average of 28MPG.

My wife has a Fiesta, it has the NA 1.6 with the traditional automatic. I can pull ~45MPG out of it if I keep my foot out of it. Otherwise I can get 35MPG.

I consider keeping my foot out of it cruise set at 65MPH. And that is it. That takes some discipline.

However, I am not a big guy. I am a 200lb 6' guy. I guess what is considered 'average.' I fit in the Mustang fine, but I will crack my head on my wife's Fiesta from time to time if I haven't driven it in a few weeks.

It is also worth noting that my wife can't get above 23MPG average in the Mustang or 30MPG in her Fiesta. She is a full go/full whoa driver.

Anything above 30MPG with a normal driver in a car big enough to fit four adults is essentially a pipe dream. But it can be done.

Don't fall for the fallacy that a Hybrid gets better mileage. It does in the city. It doesn't on the interstate. A good friend bought a Prius, nice car, I liked it. He thought it would get 50MPG+ on his 100 mile daily commute, but as he was always running 70+ it never ran in electric mode, which is where a hybrid shines. He never pulled more than 45MPG reliably. While that is nice, I didn't tend to think the premium of the car offset the mild cost saving.

Edit: Harmony is a `13 Mustang automatic and Ratchet is a `14 Fiesta automatic, not CVT. 

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 1

I have actually had my eye on a Tesla model 3. I'd love a model S but I'm not made of money. I don't think they start rolling out until next year, though.

That's supposed to be the cheaper "entry level" kind of tesla wasn't it? I thought I had heard that they also weren't going to get the same kind of range as a model S, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • Like 1