Fuel Efficient Vehicles

Yep, TDi Vws absolutely rule milage wise. Took a chipped Audi A3 TDi from Nashville to Chatty and back and averaged 52mpg with the car loaded up with four of us doing 70+.

http://www.dw.com/en/audi-a3-named-green-car-of-the-year/a-5018375

And yes this is the same TDi engine that is supposedly "cheating" on it's federal emissions tests. Short of a very efficient engine nothing other than witchcraft could get a wagon loaded down with camping gear to and from chatty with so little fuel used. I can't possibly understand how an engine so marvelously efficient could possibly be that bad for the environment since it's burning HALF the fuel or less mile for mile of ANY of the cars currently in my driveway.

"At least" 200 miles on a charge. The official unveiling and preorders in the 31st of this month so we'll have more info soon enough. Supposedly starting around 30k.

They've already started filling Meijer's parking lots with 5 Tesla charging stations each up north. Apparently they think it's going to be a huge hit.
I guess you're looking at new cars but FWIW, my old 99 Volvo S80 gets 30mpg cruising at 70 which I think is pretty good for a car with 211kmi. I'm a big guy and there's plenty of room in it. No problem going to Florida and back... its a comfortable ride. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a new one as I've read they're being built in China. :down: :shake:

They've already started filling Meijer's parking lots with 5 Tesla charging stations each up north. Apparently they think it's going to be a huge hit.

It will be.  We see lots of the high price Tesla's here in Nashville already.  If I were rich I'd already have one

Well I gave a Honda civic touring a go and was pretty impressed with now nice it was, how it drove, and how roomy it was on the inside. It instantly went top of the list for now.

Only problem is the getting out of it. So used to being able to step out of my jeeps. Gotta climb my way out of that civic.

Didn't like the CR-V as much surprisingly. Didn't like the features or handling of it that much.

Gonna try and check out some more vehicles today while it's gorgeous.

Gonna make sure to check out some of the other suggestions you guys have made.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well I gave a Honda civic touring a go and was pretty impressed with now nice it was, how it drove, and how roomy it was on the inside. It instantly went top of the list for now.

Only problem is the getting out of it. So used to being able to step out of my jeeps. Gotta climb my way out of that civic.

Didn't like the CR-V as much surprisingly. Didn't like the features or handling of it that much.

Gonna try and check out some more vehicles today while it's gorgeous.

Gonna make sure to check out some of the other suggestions you guys have made.

My sister has a 2014 Ford Escape and she loves it.  I know someone else recommended them above but just wanted to throw a "2nd" out there.  They made some major changes to them over the early models that were pretty basic and very rough around the edges.  

My sister has a 2014 Ford Escape and she loves it. I know someone else recommended them above but just wanted to throw a "2nd" out there. They made some major changes to them over the early models that were pretty basic and very rough around the edges.

Unfortunately I think anything ford is off the table. My girlfriend bought a Ford brand new and had constant problems with it. Their cars do look nice, but I do want reliability.

Unfortunately I think anything ford is off the table. My girlfriend bought a Ford brand new and had constant problems with it. Their cars do look nice, but I do want reliability.

I think your girlfriend may have just been unlucky, but I can understand bad personal experience is hard to overcome

I think your girlfriend may have just been unlucky, but I can understand bad personal experience is hard to overcome

Yeah she had bought a brand new focus and constantly had to take it into the shop. The transmission was the biggest issue. I think she was in the shop 3 times for the alone.

Ford is the only domestic vehicle I will own after the `08 crash. My Mustang and Fiesta have been solid, as was my Explorer prior. I will admit that my extensive experience with Ford vehicles has been positive. I think I might have only gotten one lemon, an `85ish Mercury Lynx wagon, a long long time ago.

That may be true in the short term but if you keep it long enough to have to replace the batteries then you're going to have a heart attack on the replacement bill.

Somewhat true.  They seem to be running around 6k to replace right now (Not Authoritative).  That is one hell of a repair bill.  Then again buy the time it is time to replace them who know what they will cost.  All the current EV on the road are still under Warrantee for a few more years.  Although I am guessing when it does come time to replace them you will likely get an increase in range since batteries seem to be getting smaller and lighter.

I fill the TDI up to the fuel cap, but here are examples of winter mileage with lots of city driving and idling.

Look where the fuel gauge needle is in relation to the trip meter.

Don't mind the crud. I've not had it 2 weeks and it came to me needing a cleaning. lol

d741f44f092b047e8c6c642bb1be72ce.jpg

f93af54e2659edcd0211828a9c75edd6.jpg

ce446bc6a28b972dd5893041ac8c9577.jpg

7a2d57a8c18c5b30a8827f272d19f6b8.jpg

Running on cold day...

https://vimeo.com/158437005

It's a heck of a downgrade in performance from driving a Mustang GT, but I LOVE the MPG's!

These Beetles can be had in this model year for $3-5K used.

Just expect the interior to be falling apart and some pesky electrical issues such as keyless entry not working, roof liner falling apart, door liners coming off, ac/heat blend door foam blowing through vents which means not cold ac in summer and not hot heat in winter until you replace it, etc. All common VW problems of this era and you will see that if you search VW and TDI forums.

Maintenance on these TDI's is expensive and will offset some of the fuel savings if you can't do the work yourself. VW wants about $1,500 to do a 80,000 service which is timing belt, water pump, idlers and pulleys, serpentine accessory belt and new TTY bolts. I'd also do the t-stat while its apart. If you do it yourself it is $300 in parts and if you need specific tools, another $200.

If you don't know the history of the car, check the timing belt first thing. These are interference fit engines, so if the timing belt snaps, the Pistons smash the valves, so you'll then be adding a head removal, rebuild and reinstall to your timing belt bill that's already $1,500 if you're not doing the labor yourself.

That aside, they're solid cars if you keep the maintenance up and they get 2-3x the MPG's of most other cars out there. :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JohnC
Check out the Mazda 6. I have the last body style. I'm 6' 260 and have tons of room. The 6speed is slick and it's fun for a 4 cylinder. I get 29 mpg, but shift high and drive too fast. 128,000 with only oil, a set of brakes and a headlight or two and had it since 30k miles.

Good luck!

Every one will enjoy their fuel mileage more if they would remove the Ethanol from the fuel. It has been proven that 100% pure gas improved fuel mileage by 15 to 25%  depending on the vehicle. That is why you have to stop and purchase fuel more often with Ethanol fuel......... :mad:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 4

My wife is driving a KIA Optima Hybrid.  It's getting about 30Mpg but it should get 40+ but neither of us can keep our foot off the gas like we should.  It's been a great car but we're going to have to sell it because both of our mothers are in wheel chairs now and they both have a hard time getting in and out of it.   My wife decided she wants a 2015 Tahoe so I'm going to miss the good gas milage.

I had a similar situation to consider when I bought a new vehicle. Needed 4 doors, as was looking to care for and help inlaws eventually.  So it needed, I thought, to be capable of fulfilling my requirements as well as possible needs.

I looked at about every wagon style, sedan, and SUV I could find. On the basis of like and possible use in the future; I chose the Chevrolet Traverse.

Has 4 doors, plenty of room front and back, rear lift gate and good cargo room. It also has a flat floor pan, with it being front drive. Easy to get in and out of all four doors. Rides fairly comfortably, and is getting a solid 18-20 mpg. I have only 34K on it now and it seems to get a bit better with each tank. It's 5 years old in about 45 days, and the service dept tells me I've just barely got it broken in, milage and engine wise.

The only drawback that we've seen so far is that the 20" wheels ad a bit of height. More so than the 17 or 18 wheels. It seems that little amount does give shorter people/passengers a bit more difficulty in getting in.

For your projected use of Cleveland to Chattanooga, I'd say no to it. For your wife and inlaws, I think it's worth taking a look at.

And BTW, I did look strongly at the Tahoe Enclave.

The Tahoe, you know about. The Enclave is the Buick version of the Traverse. Very nice, but averages 12-15,000 higher in price. Had I the money, I'd have gotten the Enclave.

Just my opinions and observations. Both worth what you paid for them.

Addendum

One more advantage for me...headroom. I have some back issues and like/need to drive upright as much as possible. I have to recline seats in most vehicles, except p/u, to get in and drive. Just doesn't work for me.

Edited by hipower

I just drove about every small/midsize SUV with my parents recently.  If you are a big guy, the CRV may be a bit cramped.  My dad is 6'4" and couldn't really get comfortable.  They did really like the Outback, but for me, I would have to have the V6.    They really liked the CX-5, but in the end, the 2016 Ford Escape got the nod.  Best HP and Torque in class and it get 30mpg.   It was reasonably priced and they have a good incentive going on right now.  If you trade a vehicle in, get a $2000 rebate plus 0% for 60 months.  The dealer in Franklin gave my parents in trade what they expected to get selling their Impala themselves.  We also had Z-plan which made it a no brainer for them.   They were within $500 of a used model with over 20k miles on it.  

If you know anyone who works at Ford, it is well worth looking into.  I would at least drive one if you haven't.  I am not a big Ford guy, but I was pretty impressed with it.

Yes. If I could have fit comfortably in it. lol

Somewhat true.  They seem to be running around 6k to replace right now (Not Authoritative).  That is one hell of a repair bill.  Then again buy the time it is time to replace them who know what they will cost.  All the current EV on the road are still under Warrantee for a few more years.  Although I am guessing when it does come time to replace them you will likely get an increase in range since batteries seem to be getting smaller and lighter.

the prius battery is running 2500 at the moment, which isn't far off the tax break you get for buying the car if they are still doing that (not sure).

battery development is huge and ongoing.   If a battery lasts 5 years the price will drop a fair bit in that time at todays rate of tech increases.

TDI are under legal problems due an emission cheating schedule.

Thanks

Robert

Not all TDis only pretty recent years, and honestly it's a load of crap. These remarkably efficient engines are burning half the fuel of many of their competitors and when hooked up to an actual 5 gas analyzer they produce LESS(by slightly over half) the raw emissions PER MILE than the comparable gasoline powered drivetrains offered in the same vehicles.

• Like 1