Fuel Efficient Vehicles

TDI are under legal problems due an emission cheating schedule.

Thanks
Robert

Only the new ones. Mine is a 2001 TDI with 170,000+ miles on it now.

Buy a used TDI Beetle. They only run $3-5K and 47-56 mpg's city-highway. Your choice. :)

Not all TDis only pretty recent years, and honestly it's a load of crap. These remarkably efficient engines are burning half the fuel of many of their competitors and when hooked up to an actual 5 gas analyzer they produce LESS(by slightly over half) the raw emissions PER MILE than the comparable gasoline powered drivetrains offered in the same vehicles.

The VW software people programmed the car to recognize the presence of an engine analyzer.  When the analyzer is installed, the computer uses different fuel/ignition map and engages the emissions systems.  When the analyzer is removed, the computer defaults back to a different map which uses less fuel, disengages emissions systems, and results in higher NOx and SOx emissions than are allowed by the regs.  They cheated and got caught. 

Does that really mean anything to the end consumer?  Only if you live in a place that requires emissions testing.   

• Like 2

The VW software people programmed the car to recognize the presence of an engine analyzer.  When the analyzer is installed, the computer uses different fuel/ignition map and engages the emissions systems.  When the analyzer is removed, the computer defaults back to a different map which uses less fuel, disengages emissions systems, and results in higher NOx and SOx emissions than are allowed by the regs.  They cheated and got caught. 

Does that really mean anything to the end consumer?  Only if you live in a place that requires emissions testing.   

It could make it much harder to sell.  Right now my understanding is you can't actually sell the effected models in the US.  If you have one of the effected vehicles no one is sure what is going to happen.  At a min I would guess a software update that will bring it truly in to line with emissions standards at the price of increased fuel cuts.  There are lots of ways this can play out.  Many of these are going to cost consumer money.

Thanks

Robert

It could make it much harder to sell. Right now my understanding is you can't actually sell the effected models in the US. If you have one of the effected vehicles no one is sure what is going to happen. At a min I would guess a software update that will bring it truly in to line with emissions standards at the price of increased fuel cuts. There are lots of ways this can play out. Many of these are going to cost consumer money.

Thanks
Robert

Yes, there's a "stop sale" in force for those models now. They're working on a software update that will have to be verified, and reverified, and re-reverified before it's ready for use. Then they'll likely issue notice to all registered owners of a mandatory recall, which will piss off all the people who live in an area where emissions testing isn't required (which is probably the majority).
  • Like 1

We just traded my wife's 2006 Lexus for a 2016 Subaru Outback and I'm favorably impressed with the Outback. I have driven a variety of Chevy Tahoes since 1995 and have driven the Outback about a thousand miles since we traded on Feb. 1. The Outback is equipped with adaptive cruise control (Subaru calls it 'Eyesight') and it works! The 'lane departure' warning also works really well and will actually steer you into your lane if you get distracted. I have experimented with the Eyesight system and have actually had it stop the Outback while I sat there with my foot above the brake if it didn't work fast enough to suit me. Stopped every time!

We got the 4 cylinder version (a 6 cyl is available but scarce) and the little 4 cyl has plenty of pep.

You should at least read some reviews and check out the Outback before deciding . . . it's a fine little vehicle!

I deal with all makes in the auto industry. In my opinion Subaru is building the most durable car on the road today.

The all wheel drive is pretty amazing. It's much better than all wheel drive in other makes.

I just bought an Infiniti FX35 because I needed third row seats. I would have bought a Forester had I not needed the third row. I would take a Forester off road vs a jeep any day.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

It could make it much harder to sell.  Right now my understanding is you can't actually sell the effected models in the US.  If you have one of the effected vehicles no one is sure what is going to happen.  At a min I would guess a software update that will bring it truly in to line with emissions standards at the price of increased fuel cuts.  There are lots of ways this can play out.  Many of these are going to cost consumer money.

Thanks
Robert

It depends on what the the priority of the person buying really is. Bottom line, if it is max mpg's and saving money, the TDI is where its at.

Personally, if I could buy one of those fudged TDI cars pre-fix right now, I'd snap it up!

You'd have a car that gets excellent mpg's and is reliable.

Even after the fix comes, it probably won't lose much in mpg's so why write it off? The big bad Govt isn't going to come confiscate these cars. It's a simple re-tune via PCM program. Most performance shops could probably tune it to pass without sacrificing much mpg's. Edited by JohnC

I deal with all makes in the auto industry. In my opinion Subaru is building the most durable car on the road today.

The all wheel drive is pretty amazing. It's much better than all wheel drive in other makes.

I've heard other folks mention that about their all wheel drive. What makes theirs better?

I've heard other folks mention that about their all wheel drive. What makes theirs better?

It's in the electronics. It's more effective at managing which wheels need most traction. Each wheel is treated independently by the computer.

I read an article about a hill climb test. I thinks it's a roller on one side and gravel on another. It's some kind of industry test.

Rav 4 and CRV made it about six feet up. Forester went straight to the top with zero issue.

I took out a Subaru WRX STI straight off the truck hauler in the rain and shot around downtown back roads at ridiculous speeds in the rain and it was like dry pavement. I've never felt such torque off the line and I use to have a pretty hopped up Mustang in my youth. Fun car to drive.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 2

I love Subarus!  You can't go wrong with them.  Just wish they were bigger!

I wish they made a third row seat vehicle.  They did a few years back and it sold very poorly.  The third row was roomy enough for two five year olds.  

I wish they made a third row seat vehicle. They did a few years back and it sold very poorly. The third row was roomy enough for two five year olds.

You are thinking of the Tribeca 7 passenger. It was a pretty futuristic looking car for a Subaru. It dropped after 2014.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I love Subarus!  You can't go wrong with them.  Just wish they were bigger!

I hate my wife's Subaru :eek:

She has a 2011 legacy, seems to be the bastard year for that model as it's difficult to find parts for it.  Hate changing the oil, very nice of the designers to put the filter between 2 exhaust pipes.  We've got to take the car to the dealer next week to find out why her "BRAKE" light is flashing.  Parking break still works, we were told that one of the calipers was bad so I replaced both rear calipers, no luck on fixing the light. No body local seems to stock Subaru parts, had to order them online.   

All in all I never liked the car from day one, but it was her car, now she does not like it and is looking for it's replacement.

I hate my wife's Subaru :eek:

She has a 2011 legacy, seems to be the bastard year for that model as it's difficult to find parts for it. Hate changing the oil, very nice of the designers to put the filter between 2 exhaust pipes. We've got to take the car to the dealer next week to find out why her "BRAKE" light is flashing. Parking break still works, we were told that one of the calipers was bad so I replaced both rear calipers, no luck on fixing the light. No body local seems to stock Subaru parts, had to order them online.

All in all I never liked the car from day one, but it was her car, now she does not like it and is looking for it's replacement.

Sounds like you got a dud. Most people either love them or hate them, but they have quite a large following.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I wish they made a third row seat vehicle.  They did a few years back and it sold very poorly.  The third row was roomy enough for two five year olds.  

The same can be said for virtually every "mid size" vehicle with a 3rd row seat.  3rd row seats in anything smaller than a suburban or full size van are so small as to be useless for anyone over age 10. 

Iv had 4 VW TDI's in the past and they were decent cars. I will not buy any new VW's since the screwing I got over the 05 Passat TDI wagon I had. VW had put a very cheesy balancer shaft drive chain in the engines that would pretty much disintegrate by 120K. I had 87K on mine and they would not honor a upgrade to their "new" GEAR driven balancer. They completely discontinued the old bicycle type chain system. The cost of installing the new parts was about 4K. Now the engine was running fine when I sold it and as far as a running 2 L Pump Duce engine 5spd auto trans, it was pretty good with 36 mpg highway but VW lost me as a customer for good at that point. The older ALH engines I had were decent engines but the Auto trans were weak in those cars and there again they carry a 4K replacement charge. So the older ALH engine (99-03) with a 5 speed manual is a good bang around hi mileage car.

Now we only have a 05 2.8L Diesel Jeep liberty. Oddly the new Chevy half ton trucks are using the same 2.8 Italian Motorini engine although updated to some degree. My wife Loves the Jeep. It has a 5 speed Auto and I upgraded both the trans and engine modules with Green Diesel Engineering programs. After a few other minor upgrades, its a pretty good little 4X. It gets 27-28 mpg solidly running 70-75 out here on I-40. If Motorini put timing chains in these instead of belts, you would really have some thing. That's why I put both my kids into Hyundai's. Over 35 mpg's and NO TIMING BELTS !!!  

The biggest issue I have with most midsize SUV's is they all seem underpowered.  I really liked the Subaru, but the 4 cylinder was lacking in my opinion.  The V6 was much better, but they both still had another issue that I found with a lot of other small SUV's as well.   That was engine noise.  I admit I have a bit of a heavy foot so what I am referring to is really from a stop to cruising speed and in passing mode.  It sounds like many of them have to rev so high that they really become annoying to me.  I don't want to feel like I have pushing the engine that hard all of time even if it isn't.  Just some additional sound dampening material in the engine compartment would help.

I personally want a car that doesn't sound like it has to be at redline when I want to pass someone on the freeway if I need to.  There are a few out there that are less noisy than others, but many of the small SUV's really need some extra HP and Torque for me.  That was one thing that impressed me and my parents with the Escape.  Their 2.0 V4 Turbo has about 60-70 more HP than most and 90 ft/lb's of torque all while doing it much more quietly and it still gets 30mpg vs 33 on some of the others.  I will give up 3 mpg for better engine performance any day.

Edited by Hozzie

I wanted to see from some of the bigger guys out there what you're driving that's fuel efficient.

As I've been working on my degree and applying for jobs it's become very apparent I'll be driving to Chattanooga most likely. I've seen one IT job posted here in Cleveland. Driving a Jeep just isn't going to cut it anymore if I'm driving to Chattanooga or further on a daily basis.

So I'm currently searching for a more fuel efficient vehicle. I've looked at a Mazda CX-5 and Honda CR-V for a bigger vehicle that's got better gas mileage. Those still seem to top out at 30 MPG best case scenario, though.

I have looked at the Prius and Civic, but haven't test driven either one yet. I think I'd have a heck of a time clawing my way out of one though...

What are you guys driving that you're happy with? Just wanted some ideas on vehicles I should be looking into and giving a test drive.

Also if you have any dealers you like dealing with in Cleveland, Chattanooga, or elsewhere I'd be interested in that too.

Well until it was destroyed by a drunk driver , I had a 1989 Toyota Tercel , hence my user name . It was the one of the last carbureted Toyotas made . It got 50 MPG , better than some Hybrids now days . I got on the average of 475-500 miles on a tank of gas .  Over 300,000 miles no problems . If you find one in good shape snag it up !

Edited by tercel89

I just wanted give a little bit of input.  My wife drives a 2010 Honda Civic that she bought new and it now has about 120K on it.  I drive a 2004 Toyota Tundra that I bought 2+ years ago with 125K on it.  The paint on the Civic looks just aweful, the clearcoat is flaking off.  We always kept the car washed and waxed.  Honda admitted there was a problem with the paint and extended the warranty but we lost the warranty on the car when we paid it off early.  In addition to the paint issue IMO the car is underpowered, poorly insulated to outside noise, and just feels like it is cheaply made.  The powertrain will probably last forever but I rate it 3 out of 5 stars on comfort, as I don't think that it is extremely comfortable. 

The Tundra.  Even though it is 12 years old the paint is in relatively good shape.  The clearcoat is intact and it still looks good.  Interior wise the truck is in pretty good shape.  Only compliant is the trim pieces around the bottom of the seats keeps falling off.  Other than that the trim and whatnot has been durable.  I'm really thinking about just removing the trim pieces because most people would never notice that they were missing anyway.  Comfort wise the Tundra is pretty comfortable yet doesn't quite have that luxury car feeling.  Properly maintained I would expect the drivetrain to last a very long time.

To sum things up I think that Toyota makes a better product than Honda does.  I realize there is nothing fuel efficient about a Tundra but it was a specimen that I have experience owning by an automaker that is relevant to the conversation.