Windows 10... Destroy it?

There are instructions on the
Windows website on how to roll it back to Windows 7. However, if you keep it, I would suggest getting a program called startisback. Makes the start menu and directories function and look like Windows 7. Well worth it to me.
  • Like 1

One week in on a new Dell with 10 on it.  Takes some getting used to.  May get that app/add.  I tried importing my favorites from the machine that was dying and it apparently only want's to look at itself.  Would not look at the files I transferred.  I'm just using short cuts to links on the external HD.  It's like a big smart phone.  I hate smart phones.

Buy a MAC ! .....  :hiding: :cheers:

The problem with Macs is that they are stupid expensive. I just looked at Best Buy. The cheapest Mac laptop was $899 with many going into the $2,000-$3,000 range. The one I would probably want is about $1,300. Are you kidding me? I can buy a Dell, ASUS, or HP for $350 or less... maybe up to a $100 at the annual sales or on Dell's outlet website. Then, I can download all the free software I need: LibreOffice. Every two years, I can toss my laptop and upgrade to a newer version. My 17.1 inch HP that I'm typing this on was $250. My wife's new Dell was $250. My 13.1 inch Chromebook I use when flying was $165. That's $665, plus another $550 for my Sig Sauer anti-theft device comes to only $1,215.

Granted, my laptops are a little heavier than a MacBook Air, but I've been working out... :biglol:  

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 5

I'm an IT guy, and I have to keep up with the latest MS stuff, so I forced myself to use and get used to Win8.1. I didn't like it at first, but I learned to get around in it. Eventually when I got the interface kinks worked out, I was OK with it. 

I did upgrade to Win 10, and I think it is SO much better than 8.1. I know folks that resisted the Win8 upgrade due to the drastic interface change, and they have been able to deal with the Win 10 interface much better. They just jumped right in and figured it out. Mostly that is due to the Start Button being back.

I've not found anything that didn't work after the upgrade. There may be some tweaking to do to make it more user friendly for me. All in all I really like Win 10. It's what Win 8 should have been. This interface is just enough different than Win7 to make it feel more modern, but just enough like it to still feel familiar in getting around.

I'd say give it some more time and see if you can't work out the kinks.What specifically don't you like about it? Perhaps we can help make it more to your liking.

• Like 4
  • Moderators

I'm an IT guy, and I have to keep up with the latest MS stuff, so I forced myself to use and get used to Win8.1. I didn't like it at first, but I learned to get around in it. Eventually when I got the interface kinks worked out, I was OK with it.

I did upgrade to Win 10, and I think it is SO much better than 8.1. I know folks that resisted the Win8 upgrade due to the drastic interface change, and they have been able to deal with the Win 10 interface much better. They just jumped right in and figured it out. Mostly that is due to the Start Button being back.

I've not found anything that didn't work after the upgrade. There may be some tweaking to do to make it more user friendly for me. All in all I really like Win 10. It's what Win 8 should have been. This interface is just enough different than Win7 to make it feel more modern, but just enough like it to still feel familiar in getting around.

I'd say give it some more time and see if you can't work out the kinks.What specifically don't you like about it? Perhaps we can help make it more to your liking.

I agree. I hated Windows 8. After using Windows 10 for a few weeks I really like it. It feels more like Windows 7. The biggest challenge for me was taking the time to read and learn about the new layouts and how it operated. I have the plug and go attitude so changing something that works drives me nuts.
The only thing I disliked about Win8 was the fact that for a little bit there they kept making a bunch of stupid touchscreen laptops and I got stuck buying on in a pinch.

I didnt mind the interface as I was using Server 2012 which was similar with the charm lists and the sleek design.

I run Linux boxes and a Win7 VM on my personal computer but my wife has Win10 on hers and I really like it - maybe its because the interfaces are a hyrid of the newer design and legacy but it feels so much more responsive.

You should take a look at a Linux distro if you really hate 10. I think something like Ubuntu or Mint would be up your alley.

I cant understand how anyone would want to use a Mac, theyre overpriced, you cannot modify them and that GUI is appalling, plus it doesnt even have a right click button, that is jusr screwy

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ok, those who know me have a good idea of my non-existant tech skills. Foolishly...I hit the link for Windows 10 download. I do not like it.

So, in a nutshell...how do I get rid of it?

You can install software that will make it look like windows 7, it's not a big deal.  I personally like windows 10 after a bit of use, but human nature is to resist change so it takes a bit to get over it.  Anyways if you want windows 7 faux, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEblJ1UBQF0

• Authorized Vendor

I keep getting the Windows 10 reminder, but I'm holding off for as long as possible. I hate Windows 8, and it seems like 10 has a similar look.

I did the update....to me 10 is nothing like 8. I'm still learning all the stuff but I like 10 just fine...much better than 8.

• Like 1

I did the update....to me 10 is nothing like 8. I'm still learning all the stuff but I like 10 just fine...much better than 8.

Admittedly, I'm basing my opinion on the look of Windows 10. At first glance, it looked very similar to Windows 8, which I didn't like. Now that I'm seeing there's software to make 10 look like 7, I may go ahead with the upgrade.
  • Moderators

Admittedly, I'm basing my opinion on the look of Windows 10. At first glance, it looked very similar to Windows 8, which I didn't like. Now that I'm seeing there's software to make 10 look like 7, I may go ahead with the upgrade.

Definitely do the upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner.
Win 10 crashed beyond recovery on both of my laptops. Just went south and none of the built-in tools could recover. One of the laptops is now happily running Win7 again, the other is being reloaded with apps after a Win10 reinstallation. I am much less than thrilled. At least one of them could become a Linux machine.
  • Like 1

I hate Windows 10. When I got the opportunity I installed it on my desktop and my laptop. It drove me batshit crazy inside a week. I tried everything before formatting and reinstalling Windows 7. I bought a new machine for my wife and it has Windows 10 and from her corner I hear a constant diatribe regarding Windows 10. And we generally embrace change and technology but so far Windows 10 seems to be a monster.

The worst part is any time I needed a program I had to search for it. Could not figure out how to get quick access to the programs I use regularly. I use notepad and paint almost daily and having to open Cortana then search for them is just too much of a waste of time for me. Another HUGE problem for us is the constant crashing. Even got to a point where I started saving things about 1/2 way through my day because I knew a crash was coming.

I guess I need to suck it up and learn it but I won't as long as the MS special ops teams haven't raided my house and taken all my copies of Windows 7. For me Windows 7 was the last great MS product.

• Like 2

Precisely. Like another commented as well its a lot like a new smart phone, the more you use it the easier it is to use. As to Mac Books. Well they're an over priced but very good set up that's also a PITA to learn to use after running a Windows based system. Overall I just go with the most universally common and cost effective solution and drive on. 

I’m running 10 and I like it. I tried 10 on an older computer and it had issues. I wrote it off to hardware that wasn’t supported.

If you have the hardware to run it; give it a try. Many of the problems I see is people installing 10 and then installing a different browser, having problems and blaming 10.

I wouldn’t try to roll back any OS. If you know how to do it; format and do a clean install.

Get Acronis and image your drive before installing 10, then if you want to switch back it’s not a big deal and you don’t have to reinstall everything.
  • Like 1

At least one of them could become a Linux machine.

You are a gentleman and a scholar

I do not understand how much crashing issues you guys are having - typically if its having a catastrophic failure one of your drives is ready to crap out, or your cache/memory is taking a dump...hell, driver errors and old BIOS/UEFI firmware can also do that - hard resets arent helping that at all. Do you want bad sectors? Thats how you get them.

I would rather buy a new production laptop with 10 than try to roll up a Win7 system thats 5 years old - thats way past life cycle. The only thing your OS will cause is an error if the boot file corrupted - everything else is hardware related that's not all Microsofts fault.

Again I reccomend getting a Linux machine, and install a VB or Wine/PoL to use your favorite MS apps. You know Microsoft gives 180 day full production virtual images online for VirtualBox (VB)? Just install all your apps and take a snapshot of it and roll back when its close to expiring. They even offer a fully patched Windows XP SP3 image!

Create a share folder or setup a simple FTP server with your router to save important documents and boom. LibreOffice suites on Linux support all MS Office forms, Linux has multiple multimedia programs thatll run any MS product.

Hell you can run a VB of Win7 ON your Win10 machine if you dont wanna switch to the Dark Side.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Appreciate all your comments guys. I will say this...I will play with it for a day or so.

But let me say again...I really am NOT in any way shape, fashion, or form a tech sort of person. I really am about at my upper limit here. And maybe it's a character flaw, but I have zero interest in becoming "advanced to using 10." Doesn't mean I won't look it over though.

I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of loving this.

And I do not exaggerate when I tell of the level of my skills in the current world of pc, smart phones and the like. I guess you could call me a Luddite. 

• Moderators

The problem with Macs is that they are stupid expensive. I just looked at Best Buy. The cheapest Mac laptop was $899 with many going into the $2,000-$3,000 range. The one I would probably want is about $1,300. Are you kidding me? I can buy a Dell, ASUS, or HP for $350 or less... maybe up to a $100 at the annual sales or on Dell's outlet website. Then, I can download all the free software I need: LibreOffice. Every two years, I can toss my laptop and upgrade to a newer version. My 17.1 inch HP that I'm typing this on was $250. My wife's new Dell was $250. My 13.1 inch Chromebook I use when flying was $165. That's $665, plus another $550 for my Sig Sauer anti-theft device comes to only $1,215.

Granted, my laptops are a little heavier than a MacBook Air, but I've been working out... :biglol:

Buying a new laptop every two years isn't stupid expensive?

A Mac can last you much longer than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to put Win7 or Linux on my laptop. Can't do it gracefully as Win 10 isn't easy to remove in my computer's current sorry state. Looks like I'll need to reformat the drive. Win7 may well be my last version of Winders. 10 has left a bad taste in my mouth!