Windows 10... Destroy it?

Hold down the Ctrl button and press the "+" button (That's the plus sign button). The font will get bigger. Do it again, the font will get even bigger. Keep doing that until you get to the size font you want.  To make the font smaller, hold down the Ctrl button and press the "-" button (That's the minus sign button).

I think this approach will work in any browser.

By the way, there is a combination of finger movements on the touchpad that will also make the font bigger or smaller. You probably inadvertently did this. I do it all the time, but the fix is just to follow the steps above to get the font back to the size you want.

And...when I finally found all the settings controls, you can do it from there. But thanks for the tips.

Guys, I greatly appreciate all the comments. I do think I've gotten a few pointers from you.

And as to the title of my post...well, I've backed off on that. For now.

Thru a bunch of hit and miss adventures with different icons, I've found my way around enough to do the things I've been doing previously.

I'll never be as tech informed as the majority of you, and I can live with that.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

• Like 2

Run with it for a while, and keep at it. Eventually you'll figure it all out. Google is your friend for trying to find info quickly. Just start all your searches with "Windows 10 How do I ..." and you'll have lot of info. after a while it will feel normal. You'll use an old PS with Win 7 or XP on it, and it will seem archaic and clunky.

A lot like me...is that what you mean. lol

To me it’s a hobby with a challenge. I started with DOS and have worked my way through all the flavors of windows. (yes, I don’t think I’m that much younger than you biggrin.gif).

I was using various CAD/CAM programs to program CNC machine tools as my job, and photography was my hobby. So I learned out of necessity. You can’t let a hardware or software conflict stop production, you have to fix it and move on.

I use to beta test the new operating systems. I don’t do that anymore, but I usually get the new OS the first day it’s released. I’ve become a technology junkie; so it’s fun.

Change is the only way we progress. If the young people of today could see what we have progressed though; they would be amazed.

Most of the new operating systems are an improvement. Some have not been. Windows ME and Vista were terrible operating systems.

I am not an IT or networking person; I am an applications person. I keep my OS and my applications running the way they should.

I’ll offer some things I have learned over the years that may help. You can’t upgrade an OS and have it perform the way a clean install will. Many will argue that; but it is what it is. You can’t upgrade to the latest OS on your old azz computer and have it perform properly. Hardware and drivers and critical to the operation of the OS; some old stuff will work; some won’t. Don’t hose your new OS as soon as you get it. A big portion of your OS is the browser; it is an integrated part of the OS. Adding Chrome, Firefox or whatever the flavor of the month is and then blaming the OS is ridiculous. After market web browsers are designed and written to the requirements of the OS; not the other way around. I’ve had issues with EDGE and some websites and forums. But I understand that is just a matter of waiting for them to update to the new OS.

Google knows everything. If you have an issue or an error message; check it on Google. The hard part is wading through the results and deciphering who knows what they are talking about and who doesn’t. (Just like with gun stuff)

I Have fun with it. Am I crazy? biggrin.gif
  • Like 2

I'm an IT guy, and I have to keep up with the latest MS stuff, so I forced myself to use and get used to Win8.1. I didn't like it at first, but I learned to get around in it. Eventually when I got the interface kinks worked out, I was OK with it. 

I did upgrade to Win 10, and I think it is SO much better than 8.1. I know folks that resisted the Win8 upgrade due to the drastic interface change, and they have been able to deal with the Win 10 interface much better. They just jumped right in and figured it out. Mostly that is due to the Start Button being back.

I've not found anything that didn't work after the upgrade. There may be some tweaking to do to make it more user friendly for me. All in all I really like Win 10. It's what Win 8 should have been. This interface is just enough different than Win7 to make it feel more modern, but just enough like it to still feel familiar in getting around.

I'd say give it some more time and see if you can't work out the kinks.What specifically don't you like about it? Perhaps we can help make it more to your liking.

It think Win 10 is an improvement over 8, which sucked even worse than Vista.  Unfortunately, after doing the upgrade, my laptop will no longer read finger prints and the scroll on the mouse pad no longer works.  Also, none of my computers will recognize one another on my home LAN any longer.  I wish I had never upgraded.   I had 8.1 set to where it was basically like 7 already, so it was good enough and at least I could move files between computers.  

It think Win 10 is an improvement over 8, which sucked even worse than Vista.  Unfortunately, after doing the upgrade, my laptop will no longer read finger prints and the scroll on the mouse pad no longer works.  Also, none of my computers will recognize one another on my home LAN any longer.  I wish I had never upgraded.   I had 8.1 set to where it was basically like 7 already, so it was good enough and at least I could move files between computers.  

I don't know about the fingerprint scanner, but likely it and the touchpad just need an updated driver. Go to the manufacturers web site, and look up your model laptop and see if they have a new driver for each, made specifically for Win10. You might also look in the system tray, the area next to the clock in the bottom right corner and see if there is an applet running for either of them. You might just discover that the devices are turned off. You may need to click the little up arrow chevron in the system tray to reveal more applets. Hover over each applet and look at what it is. If you find one that looks like it might be for the device, right-click it and see if there is a settings or options menu item.

As far as the networking, were you connecting via a Homegroup? If so, then did you upgrade the computer that was the master? You may just need to recreate the homegroup, and then go to each of the other PC's and rejoin to the new homegroup. I recall I had to do that when I upgraded. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the start button and type "Homegroup". Click on the homegroup control panel and verify your settings. You may need to leave the current homegroup and recreate a new one. If you do recreate, remember your password, and then go to each of your other PC's and leave / rejoin there as well.

Good luck

At the moment, I'm running Linuxmint 17.3 from a USB 3.0 flash drive on my Win 8.1 (formerly Win10) laptop.  It's superior in every way to running 8.1 from the hard drive.

If I didn't need to run Office for compatibility with a few benighted souls, I'd leave all Windows products in my rear view mirror.

I may yet put Linuxmint on this computer and dual-boot with Win8.1.

I don't know about the fingerprint scanner, but likely it and the touchpad just need an updated driver. Go to the manufacturers web site, and look up your model laptop and see if they have a new driver for each, made specifically for Win10. You might also look in the system tray, the area next to the clock in the bottom right corner and see if there is an applet running for either of them. You might just discover that the devices are turned off. You may need to click the little up arrow chevron in the system tray to reveal more applets. Hover over each applet and look at what it is. If you find one that looks like it might be for the device, right-click it and see if there is a settings or options menu item.

As far as the networking, were you connecting via a Homegroup? If so, then did you upgrade the computer that was the master? You may just need to recreate the homegroup, and then go to each of the other PC's and rejoin to the new homegroup. I recall I had to do that when I upgraded. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the start button and type "Homegroup". Click on the homegroup control panel and verify your settings. You may need to leave the current homegroup and recreate a new one. If you do recreate, remember your password, and then go to each of your other PC's and leave / rejoin there as well.

Good luck

I have tried just about everything to get the scroll to work again.  I can live without the rest, but the scroll is a real pain.  I have deleted and reinstalled drivers, changed settings, you name it; however, I was never able to find a new or different driver.   I was hoping that they will eventually publish new drivers, but at the time that I did the update, I could not find any.  I have not checked in a month or so, so they may have by now.  I just got tired of messing with it so I pretty much just stopped using my laptop.  I think I can probably get the networking going again, but have not really tried.  After I got fed up with the laptop and stopped using it, there really was no need to network with it any more.  I am sure after my frustration has passed I will start working on it again.  Then again, it is 5 years old now, so I may just buy a new one.  I just hate to do it, because that is money I could spend on guns.

I have tried just about everything to get the scroll to work again.  I can live without the rest, but the scroll is a real pain.  I have deleted and reinstalled drivers, changed settings, you name it; however, I was never able to find a new or different driver.   I was hoping that they will eventually publish new drivers, but at the time that I did the update, I could not find any.  I have not checked in a month or so, so they may have by now.  I just got tired of messing with it so I pretty much just stopped using my laptop.  I think I can probably get the networking going again, but have not really tried.  After I got fed up with the laptop and stopped using it, there really was no need to network with it any more.  I am sure after my frustration has passed I will start working on it again.  Then again, it is 5 years old now, so I may just buy a new one.  I just hate to do it, because that is money I could spend on guns.

You know, It occurred to me that this happens occasionally on my wife's laptop; the trackpad just stops working. There is a little switch on her laptop to disable the trackpad that somehow accidentally gets set to off. Many times there is a function key combination that will also disable it. You might check the laptop documentation and see if yours has either of these. Perhaps your trackpad is just temporarily disabled.

As an alternative, plug in a wireless mouse. My work laptop has Bluetooth, and I have a mouse that works with it. I've gotten to where I hate using the trackpad now.

I rarely use the trackpad. My wife and I use a wireless mouse instead. We both tend to brush the trackpad with our palms when typing, which causes the trackpad to do all sorts of unwanted things. You can get a decent wireless mouse for $15, no need to pay $30 or more. I use a 5-button Logitech M510... about $14 on eBay.

At the moment, I'm running Linuxmint 17.3 from a USB 3.0 flash drive on my Win 8.1 (formerly Win10) laptop.  It's superior in every way to running 8.1 from the hard drive.

If I didn't need to run Office for compatibility with a few benighted souls, I'd leave all Windows products in my rear view mirror.

I may yet put Linuxmint on this computer and dual-boot with Win8.1.

Is Linux Mint 17.3 fast? If so, I may give this a try.  

On the dual boot, you need to be careful to boot into Windows periodically so it can load updates. If you don't, the updates will build up. Windows seemingly puts out a new one 3-4 times a month. I set up my dual boot to default to Linux and one of the Windows updates crashed because it couldn't reboot. That was 2012, but it fried my hard drive. 

I did the upgrade and it would not work well with Chrome browser and was slowing my internet way down. I was having to refresh every page each time i clicked a link. Then, when i tried to revert back, it messed up my boot menu and could not repair itself so windows 7 got reinstalled.

• 7 years later...
4 hours ago, lovatet said:

If Windows 10 isn't suiting your needs, you can definitely switch back to your previous version. Here's how to do it: Go to "Settings" (you can find it by clicking the Start button), then select "Update & Security." From there, click on "Recovery" in the left-hand menu.

That’s just dumb on so many levels.