Windows 10... Destroy it?

I keep getting the Windows 10 reminder, but I'm holding off for as long as possible. I hate Windows 8, and it seems like 10 has a similar look.

I upgraded my 8.1 to 10. I can't see much difference in the two. Don't really like either. Takes a bit of getting used to. Have finally gotten used to the dang thing. I liked XP better.

• Like 1

Buying a new laptop every two years isn't stupid expensive?

A Mac can last you much longer than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the math....

2016  MacBook Air  $1,300  Dell Whatever (Too lazy to go downstairs and look at wife's laptop).  $250

2018 Dell/HP Another $250

2020 Dell/HP Another $250

2022 Dell/Hp Another $250

2024 Dell/HP Another $250  

So, in 2024, you've spent $50 more than me and are chugging along on an 8 year old MacBook Air. I have a brand new laptop running Windows 18 (or whatever) and four old laptops running Linux Ubuntu/Mint. 

• Moderators

Do the math....
2016 MacBook Air $1,300 Dell Whatever (Too lazy to go downstairs and look at wife's laptop). $250
2018 Dell/HP Another $250
2020 Dell/HP Another $250
2022 Dell/Hp Another $250
2024 Dell/HP Another $250

So, in 2024, you've spent $50 more than me and are chugging along on an 8 year old MacBook Air. I have a brand new laptop running Windows 18 (or whatever) and four old laptops running Linux Ubuntu/Mint.

So you are comparing a $1,300 Mac to a $250 Windows laptop?

Ok, I mean if that's what you want.

The worst part is any time I needed a program I had to search for it. 

Install Classic Shell. Click the start button. Click Programs. A list of all your programs will appear, just like in Windows 7. You'll never have to search for a program again.

Download it. Install it. Play around with the various "shells" to see which you like best. You can choose between 

• Classic (looks like XP)
  • Classic with two columns 
  • Windows 7 style

Classic Shell is free. Download it here.  http://www.classicshell.net/

I haven't opened that Metro UI in months. My Windows 10 looks and feels a lot like Windows 7, only way faster.

EDITED: PS, I hated Windows 8 and 8.1. I hated them so much I wiped the hard drive back in 2012 and installed Linux Mint. I didn't go back to Windows 10 until the Technical Preview was made available to beta testers. By the way, the Technical Preview was a lot better than the final release, in my opinion. It was at least twice as fast.

Edited by jgradyc

So you are comparing a $1,300 Mac to a $250 Windows laptop?

Ok, I mean if that's what you want.

Let me preface this by saying I am a Mac person.

The $250 computer vs. a mac is a joke, but there are viable options out there that provide features that Apple will never give because they want you to buy a laptop and a tablet, instead of having an AIO solution. It would cost over $1500 to have the same functionality with Mac products as this Lenovo does with similar specs.

• Moderators

Let me preface this by saying I am a Mac person.

The $250 computer vs. a mac is a joke, but there are viable options out there that provide features that Apple will never give because they want you to buy a laptop and a tablet, instead of having an AIO solution. It would cost over $1500 to have the same functionality with Mac products as this Lenovo does with similar specs.

I completely concede to that, but having used a Surface Pro 3 at work for about a year I am very happy to return faithfully to my rMBP every night.

An all in one solution isn't in my opinion of value to me, but if it is for anyone else, go for it.

surface pro is no bueno.  I actually went to purchase a surface book and ended up coming home with a lenovo yoga 3 pro.  Blows them out of the water in every aspect for general computing... and cheaper.

Around 15 seconds from powered off to completely up and running, and it's never glitched one time.  Battery is only about 8 hours or so, but that's pretty reasonable.

Didnt I just hear that the Ransom virus is targeting Mac?

Yeah a few days ago we got notice at work.  It was only a matter of time, those guys are making billions on it worldwide.  That's why I finally put Eset on the Mac.

As long as you have a good backup strategy, that ransomware is 100% irrelevant anyways.  But people think that copying files over to a hard drive occasionally is sufficient; it is not. I put Eset on it just so I don't have to worry about a wipe & reload. 

Edited by Sam1

I hate Windows 10. When I got the opportunity I installed it on my desktop and my laptop. It drove me bat#### crazy inside a week. I tried everything before formatting and reinstalling Windows 7. I bought a new machine for my wife and it has Windows 10 and from her corner I hear a constant diatribe regarding Windows 10. And we generally embrace change and technology but so far Windows 10 seems to be a monster.

The worst part is any time I needed a program I had to search for it. Could not figure out how to get quick access to the programs I use regularly. I use notepad and paint almost daily and having to open Cortana then search for them is just too much of a waste of time for me. Another HUGE problem for us is the constant crashing. Even got to a point where I started saving things about 1/2 way through my day because I knew a crash was coming.

I guess I need to suck it up and learn it but I won't as long as the MS special ops teams haven't raided my house and taken all my copies of Windows 7. For me Windows 7 was the last great MS product.

The trick you need to know is, once you search for the app in Cortana, right-click it and select either Pin to Start, or Pin to Taskbar. The first one will add it to one of the tiles you see when you click on the Start button. From there you can rearrange the tile or resize it. The second option will add the app to the task bar at the bottom of your screen. It will always be there, whether it is running or not. You'll know it is running if there is a light bar under the icon on the taskbar.

I bought a new compyer a while back with Win 8.1...wasnt too fond of it...upgraded to 10 and like it much better, but I still have many issues trying to print or scan docs.  It really pisses me off and while Im not a IT guy I AM a techie and have been into computers since the early 80s.  I have a few users on my sytem and we all experience printing issues with printer not found or similar crap.

Ok...I have relented and won't banish it just yet. :dropjaw:

But still not very happy with it. My next chore is to get the font size back to where I had it. This darn tiny print is killing me.           ​

But still not very happy with it. My next chore is to get the font size back to where I had it. This darn tiny print is killing me.           ​

Go to Setting's and click it, then to display and click it from there just follow the directions. Honestly if I can do it then its got to be pretty simple to do.

Go to Setting's and click it, then to display and click it from there just follow the directions. Honestly if I can do it then its got to be pretty simple to do.

The trouble is I haven't found Settings on this yet. lol Thanks, I'll get there eventually.

I just hate change.  My last manager told me that once. Said I didn't react well to his new directives. Funny thing is, he wasn't there long. I kept plugging along and outlasted him by about 4 years.

Probably would still be there but for the health issues that surprised me. lol

I'm proud to say I'm no longer a Win 10 user. Good Lord what a mess that "OS" is!

Getting close to joining you, brother. I can find my way around for the basic search things, but that's about it. Hmmm...that's about all I do anyway.

But already having to re-sign in on all my favs sites. No big problem, but a pita non the less.

Damn. I hate change. Especially in me. I've been playing with this all day.

Found a few things I could not find before.

I just might...well maybe...could happen...old dog, etc...leave this alone. At least for a while. :hiding:  

Why do Widows discussions usually turn to Windows vs. Mac? For many of us Mac isn’t an option. Unless of course you think buying a Mac and running Windows on it is a fix. biggrin.gif

I have to do that for some of the data analytics stuff used for school work.  Mac runs on one screen and Windows on the other.  It's also nice having windows in VM so when it crashes, you can have spare images on the drive and boot up to one of them with only about 30 seconds of down time :)

Hold down the Ctrl button and press the "+" button (That's the plus sign button). The font will get bigger. Do it again, the font will get even bigger. Keep doing that until you get to the size font you want.  To make the font smaller, hold down the Ctrl button and press the "-" button (That's the minus sign button).

I think this approach will work in any browser.

By the way, there is a combination of finger movements on the touchpad that will also make the font bigger or smaller. You probably inadvertently did this. I do it all the time, but the fix is just to follow the steps above to get the font back to the size you want.

Edited by jgradyc
I have a Windows 10 based desktop with a core i7. It's tricked out with a few extras. My core i5 MacBook Pro runs all cross platform software much faster.

I've been replacing my PCs with Macs as they die. After two years on a Mac I can honestly say it's worth the money and it's far superior in almost every way to a Windows PC.

It's still just a smoking fast today as it was two years ago. Macs last whereas most computers are disposable junk.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 1

I have to do that for some of the data analytics stuff used for school work. Mac runs on one screen and Windows on the other. It's also nice having windows in VM so when it crashes, you can have spare images on the drive and boot up to one of them with only about 30 seconds of down time :)

Windows actually runs better on my Mac than my Windows PCs.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude. Edited by Monkeybat
  • Like 1