Password protected phone could be your best witness?

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/08/jury-acquits-woman-arrested-for-protecti

So I can't pretend to know what this family is like or their history with the cops or what even caused the cops to be called.  But what is clear is that a WV state trooper pulled a gun on a dog after responding to a domestic call of neighbors fighting.  The dogs owner stepped between the dog and the officer to prevent the shooting of the dog and she was arrested for obstruction.  The jury acquitted her of those charges yesterday, mainly based on video evidence her husband had from his cell phone.  That cell phone wich was confiscated by the troopers and held for weeks.  Now I'm not cop bashing and I can even see cause for handcuffing the girl (maybe) but if law enforcement had easy access to that phone, the video could easily be deleted.  Now I have known many WV state troopers in the county this happened and all the ones I know wouldn't delete the video just for spite or to get a charge to stick, however, there are plenty of dirtbag people in this world and some of them become law enforcement.

I think it shows a good example of how cell phone privacy could be your best ally if you find yourself on the wrong side of a jail cell.  

A phone w evidence should always be pw protected. They can't even try to access it without a warrant. (At least they're not supposed to)
I've had first hand experience with snatched phones being used to do other things after being taken in where afterwards someone would attempt to delete that "added data" to save their behind. Always password protect. Especially when you have evidence stored on that device. And. Don't offer it up without having a copy of that evidence made for your attorney first. Edited by Dustbuster

I have an app where the video I record is uploaded to the net at the same time and I can view or download it off a website at my convenience.  Even encryption can't protect the hardware if it has an "accident" while in police custody.

• Moderators

I have an app where the video I record is uploaded to the net at the same time and I can view or download it off a website at my convenience. Even encryption can't protect the hardware if it has an "accident" while in police custody.

Same for me. All pictures and video sent to Dropbox immediately.

Think hard, where is there a pay phone any more?

Colorado still has as few on the side of very isolated highways. 

I have an app where the video I record is uploaded to the net at the same time and I can view or download it off a website at my convenience.  Even encryption can't protect the hardware if it has an "accident" while in police custody.

What app is that? Do they provide the hosting or do you have to have somewhere to upload it? How does it work in a situation where you may not have data access? 

What app is that? Do they provide the hosting or do you have to have somewhere to upload it? How does it work in a situation where you may not have data access? 

It's called Bambuser.  It's more of a mobile sharing site, but the upload of videos is super easy.  You just configure the app how you want it, then all you have to do is press record and it takes care of everything.  I tested it out a few times at drive-thru's after dark and it picks up video and audio just great if you position your phone properly.  It's also free for individuals and charities.

https://bambuser.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bambuser.broadcaster&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bambuser/id344600665?mt=8

• Like 1

I know the Google Photos app will upload photos and videos taken from your phone or tablet to your Google Drive. It can be set up to do it automatically always, or only when on Wi-Fi. The only thing is, if someone gets the password to your phone, then they likely will have access to your Google Drive area too, and could delete files from there as well.

The participants of family fights and neighborhood situations get pretty emotional, especially when on their own property. I am a dog lover and would hate to ever have to kill a dog; I’m not getting bit either. I’ve had to draw my weapon a couple of times on dogs attacking, but have never had to shoot one, I’ve maced a couple though.

Usually when the dog is an issue it’s the fault of the owner. Those people were all standing around watching when the cops pulled up; they should have secured the dog. My dog would not have been out in the yard when I see cops approaching. I’ve seen Officers bit by dogs right after someone said “Come on up, he won’t bite you”.

I’ve had some tense moments on family fights getting people to secure a dog in another room. When you start arresting people there is no telling what a dog will do. Your dog isn’t going to stop the cops from doing whatever it is they are going to do; so why put its life in danger?

I don’t know why the cop decided to arrest her. But in the video it looks like he pulled her out of the way, and she threw herself on the ground. I doubt he had training that required him to kill dogs that approached him even if they were chained and wagging their tail, as he testified. If that’s true; that needs to be addressed. They need to look at the famous video and court case of the Cookeville cop that shot a puppy on a traffic stop for no apparent reason other than it approached him.

If I remember right there is a group that teaches cops how to handle dogs on a call. And if my memory serves be correctly THP had them do training for Troopers, even though they weren’t the ones that shot the dog.
How can the officers confiscate phones from people they are not arresting? Also though I usually side more with the officers this guy was a moron as probably were the residents as well. I also can't believe any department would train officers to kill dogs on site and if not this guy needs to be charged with lying under oath. After looking at the video a few times it looks to me like he tossed her 90lbs self to the ground as well. I do agree that leaving the dogs out when you know the police are on their way to break up your redneck family fight night is just asking for trouble.