Have they quit making .22WMR? UPDATE: NOW IN THE WILD

[quote name="Ugly" post="1369913" timestamp="1459008178"][quote name="I am Groot!" post="1369896" timestamp="1458999054"]
Congrats! While it might not be an everyday plinker because of the ammo, I would seriously consider it as a carry weapon. 22mag is some hard hitting stuff and to have 30 rounds of it with a spare mag to make 60 in a small package is just ridiculous![/quote]

I have been seriously considering this sense I picked it up. It is light and weighs next to nothing. Mine weights 1.23lbs fully loaded. It is also very thin.

Yep, folks been saying that for almost 3.5 years now.

- OS

Here in West TN .22 LR has become pretty easy to come by.  Almost all of the gun shops have it now and I even saw some in Wal-Mart the other day.  It is still not as plentiful as it was at one time, but it is not nearly as scarce as it was just last year.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

.35/round not even counting shipping -- don't think I'll jump on that thanks.

- OS

Yeah, I hated to, but I just paid .34/round delivered for Hornady 30g.  I bought 500 rounds just to have a little extra laying around.  I figured $14 local, plus tax is $15.30.  By the time I drive around to get a box here or there, I would probably have the $17/box (inc shipping) I paid in it.  Glad I bought a fair amount back when it was $10/box.  I still don't have as much as I would like, but I know I have more than most.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
On 5/17/2016 at 3:13 PM, kentmck said:

I wouldn't buy at this price either unless I had no other choice. 

Though I only have one firearm that shoots .22mag, and it's a Single Six that also does .22LR, I would simply retire any .22mag only gun for now rather than pay that.

I mean, I just bought a bunch of 9mm at half that per round,  delivered. And even pedestrian .223 and 7.6x39 is significantly cheaper than that, with of course a lot more bang.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I think we get too caught up in what things used to cost.  The fact is, 22 ammo of any kind will never be the cost it once was in my opinion.  I have too many 22's of different varieties to simply say I won't shoot them, more importantly to me is they are what I enjoy shooting the most.  The amount of bang is irrelevant to me, actually it is probably the less bang the better to be honest.  

I am not trying to argue that anyone should spend any more than they want to on any of it, but for those that do want to shoot these calibers, I would be buying what I could.  A year from now if Hillary is president, you will think $15 is a steal.   

23 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I think we get too caught up in what things used to cost.  The fact is, 22 ammo of any kind will never be the cost it once was in my opinion....

Even if you are willing to pay a dime a round for .22LR, 3.5x that for .22mag is still out of bounds, compared to any proportional metric in the past. Historically was no more than about twice as much or so as quality .22lr rounds like Mini Mag.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
23 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I think we get too caught up in what things used to cost.  The fact is, 22 ammo of any kind will never be the cost it once was in my opinion.  I have too many 22's of different varieties to simply say I won't shoot them, more importantly to me is they are what I enjoy shooting the most.  The amount of bang is irrelevant to me, actually it is probably the less bang the better to be honest.  

I am not trying to argue that anyone should spend any more than they want to on any of it, but for those that do want to shoot these calibers, I would be buying what I could.  A year from now if Hillary is president, you will think $15 is a steal.   

I disagree to an extent, every once in awhile I come across a brick or two at the older prices.  And I no longer see table upon table offering these .22s at .223 prices at gunshows.  Sooner or later the hoarders and gougers will get their fill and the .22s will be back at every Wal-Mart in the US. 

As I see it, those of us that are willing to pay those high prices are as much to blame as the gougers out there.  Me, I started plinking with my AR because I could shoot cheaper with that than my .22s.  I am not saying not to shoot your .22s, I like them too, but when we pay over the top prices it only urges the gougers to keep the prices high.

22 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Even if you are willing to pay a dime a round for .22LR, 3.5x that for .22mag is still out of bounds, compared to any proportional metric in the past. Historically was no more than about twice as much or so as quality .22lr rounds like Mini Mag.

- OS

I can agree with that.  Unfortunately, for those of us that want to shoot 22 wmr, that is just what we are going to have to pay.  I don't blame anyone who doesn't shoot 22 wmr regulary to not buy it, but I don't think it will drastically go down in the future either.

9 minutes ago, Omega said:

I disagree to an extent, every once in awhile I come across a brick or two at the older prices.  And I no longer see table upon table offering these .22s at .223 prices at gunshows.  Sooner or later the hoarders and gougers will get their fill and the .22s will be back at every Wal-Mart in the US. 

As I see it, those of us that are willing to pay those high prices are as much to blame as the gougers out there.  Me, I started plinking with my AR because I could shoot cheaper with that than my .22s.  I am not saying not to shoot your .22s, I like them too, but when we pay over the top prices it only urges the gougers to keep the prices high.

That's the crux I guess for me.  It isn't about the money.  I prefer to shoot 22's over 223 or most centerfires regardless of the cost.  I don't buy from gougers as I don't shoot HV or the most common ammo you find at walmart, etc.  I stick with standard velocity for my suppressors so it is usually a bit higher anyway and I can buy it online in bulk.   I shoot some centerfire, but mostly benchrest type shooting.  I am not a tactitool kind of guy so even my AR's are bench guns for varmints.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

To each his own, pay what it's worth to you. I have plenty of what ever cal. I shoot. If I see anything at a good price I buy it. If it's on the high side I pass on it. I'm at a point now if I want shoot I get ammo out of the safe and don't worry about having to replace it a.s.a.p. and it's a good feeling. :cheers:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hozzie said:

That's the crux I guess for me.  It isn't about the money.  I prefer to shoot 22's over 223 or most centerfires regardless of the cost.  I don't buy from gougers as I don't shoot HV or the most common ammo you find at walmart, etc.  I stick with standard velocity for my suppressors so it is usually a bit higher anyway and I can buy it online in bulk.   I shoot some centerfire, but mostly benchrest type shooting.  I am not a tactitool kind of guy so even my AR's are bench guns for varmints.

It's funny you posted this. I had just this same talk with myself a little while back. I enjoy shooting my .22's so much I had to give in and pay for the ammo I wanted. I love the CCI sv in my suppressed guns. I decided if I was going to pay the "new" prices I was going to have what I wanted at least. the funny thing is my wife asked why I didn't the ammo I did not want. I told her I would be to embarrassed to do it lol. I have griped os much about the re sellers I don't want people to think I am one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/winchester-reg-22-rimfire-ammunition/705405.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frimfire-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100192%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104536080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104691780%26MDRB%3Dam22

The good mews is that Cabelas has Winchester 22 mag ammo in stock for $13.99 a box. The bad news is they'll only let you buy two boxes, and they'll eat your lunch with shipping charges. I ordered two anyway. Who knows when you'll see any again?

• 7 months later...

22 WMR now seen in the wild! Was by Academy in Mt. Juliet on Thursday and they actually had some Hornady 30gr. in stock sitting right there on the counter! Couldn't believe it. $14/box not a bad price. Employee said I could get 500 rnds. I bought one box. Guy in front of me bought 3. First I'v seen in years. Guy behind the counter said it was the first case they have had in about 2 years.

16 minutes ago, seez52 said:

22 WMR now seen in the wild! Was by Academy in Mt. Juliet on Thursday and they actually had some Hornady 30gr. in stock sitting right there on the counter! Couldn't believe it. $14/box not a bad price. Employee said I could get 500 rnds. I bought one box. Guy in front of me bought 3. First I'v seen in years. Guy behind the counter said it was the first case they have had in about 2 years.

I bought my first 22 mag pistol around 1988 I believe. My dad was going to flea sales and tobacco barn sales(if you are country, you know what the latter is) and found a few pistols and rifles occasionally.

I expressed an interest in this S&W he'd found. It was a K48-Masterpiece, 22mag with matching numbered box and papers. Even still had the Smith wax paper around the pistol.

Dad tried to give it to me, but I knew he was a little tight on money back then. He'd been going thru cancer as well.(Seems to run in the family.)

The only way I could get it was to tell him my father-in-law wanted it. Really hated lying to him about it, but he did need a little extra money, so I set up a price with Dad and waited a few days then paid him for it.

Believe it or not, there is a point to this long tale. lol I like the cartridge so much, that I'd buy a few boxes when I'd see it.

Probably had a dozen or so when I quite shooting the pistol and stopped buying them.

But then...rumors of the PMR 30 started flying. So who wouldn't want a 30 round capable, 22 magnum semi-auto pistol? I started buying again.

I have a few boxes lying around now. Probably enough to keep me in shooting ammo for a while. But I still look for a good price on it and might buy a few more.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, quickbiscuit said:

I've seen 22 mag twice at the local Walmart in the last month.  The last time they had 35 boxes of CCI for $13.47/50 rounds.

Yow, that's still almost .30/round with tax plus the dime.

Edited by Oh Shoot