"Survival" Camping

Just a thought I had, but it seems we all like to prepare and there are some good collective brains on here. How many of you have ever done any type of survival camping?

My thoughts are 3-5 days in a wilderness area with only small amounts of water and food and only a handful of items with you. Obviously you would have safety measures in place, but still get a taste for making the best out of a situation.

Anybody done this, thought of doing this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought I had, but it seems we all like to prepare and there are some good collective brains on here. How many of you have ever done any type of survival camping?

My thoughts are 3-5 days in a wilderness area with only small amounts of water and food and only a handful of items with you. Obviously you would have safety measures in place, but still get a taste for making the best out of a situation.

Anybody done this, thought of doing this?

I used to do it all the time as a kid... I had a single shot .22 rifle, a frying pan and a little flour, a lighter and a blanket...

those were some of the best days I can remember.

after that I did it in the army and it wasn't as fun. :hat:

I don't know about doing it like the survival guy..I saw him starving in the okefenokee swamp, because he didn't want to get into the water...he walked past some mint and a sassafras tree (he could have had warm tea)..there were several things he just decided not to do...I don't know about any other environments..but in a swamp, I don't think I could go without food if I tried...

I did it last summer, with a few friends. We did a thirty mile canoe trip down the red river over three days, just brought a bunch of water and beer (warm beer=not good), ate fish for lunch and dinner every day. Lots of fun, we knew the area well, were never too far from civilization, and had one cell phone with us.

Doing a survival camping trip away from a body of water would not be as much fun, but something I've thought about doing just to see if I could.

Guest devilsalmostfree

thought about doing something simular, take a ride with the horses, & pack only a few items! thought it would be something very interesting & fun for me!

thought about doing something simular, take a ride with the horses, & pack only a few items! thought it would be something very interesting & fun for me!

This is what they did on one of the recent episodes of Survivorman. He had 2 horses and he not only had to survive, he had to make sure the horses did as well.

It's not too bad if there's a water supply, and it's not too cold...

...or hot, or wet ...

.. or mosquitoes, or chiggers ...

You know, like if there's not too much of that nature stuff...

- OS

Well, if the worst should happen, you're already riding your survival rations.

- OS

Congratulations. I damn near choked on my dinner. Can't you put a warning on your posts when you're gonna be funny?! :cool:

Les Stroud rules, can't stand 'Bear' anymore now that I know how fraudulent his show is.

+1

Ever since an episode where Bear said due to time my crew helped me out, I just didn't want to really watch that one anymore.

Guest Astra900

Did a lot when I was younger. I'm more realistic in my ideas of survivalism than I used to be. I mean how likely is it that I will be stranded in the middle of the forest or desert with nothing but what's in my pockets?:D

How likely is it that I won't have at least the ruins of civilization to call upon for materials? If I'm one of the few survivors of a major cataclysm, be it NBC or Zombies or invasion, whatever, I believe I will have quite a while to plan things out as far living off the earth itself. If your neighbor is dead it's not stealing to kick in his door and clean out his cupboard.

As for the fun of it...I lament the past when I had more desire to do things that involve muscles I don't care to use anymore.:D

No real interest in survival camping - I know I could do it if I had to.

Les Stroud rules, can't stand 'Bear' anymore now that I know how fraudulent his show is.

+1

Ever since an episode where Bear said due to time my crew helped me out, I just didn't want to really watch that one anymore.

I look at Les as more of the extremist and Bear as the entertainer, but I think both have useful information.

I think what appeals to me about doing it is the same as firearms training. Doing it in a situation where I know I'm not going to die if I screw up, but practicing like it's real.

I did it last summer, with a few friends. We did a thirty mile canoe trip down the red river over three days, just brought a bunch of water and beer (warm beer=not good), ate fish for lunch and dinner every day. Lots of fun, we knew the area well, were never too far from civilization, and had one cell phone with us.

Doing a survival camping trip away from a body of water would not be as much fun, but something I've thought about doing just to see if I could.

Always bring a small packable mesh type laundry sack w/ you when you pack beer!

When you stop to camp for the night, put all your beer and one large rock in the mesh sack, then place it in the coolest spot you can find in the stream. Sure, it's not as good as a frosty mug, but it does the trick when you're "roughing it".

Guest gunslinger707
I don't care what anybody says, warm beer is rough!

Thanks for the tip!

Yup warm Beer is rough BUT it's better than no Beer!!!!! i've drank a lot of warm Beer!;):D:D