Advice needed (again) for lever action set up.

ncomarc

Had medical training at my unit and got to talking about hunting and what not. Explained how I hunt with a muzzle loader at TWRA sites since I didn't have land. The NCOIC says that i was welcome to hunt at his land, I don't know if I'll take him up on the offer since I wasn't sure if he was serious or just being nice. Either way, I've had a Marlin 30-30 for almost 9 years that I'd like to get set up for hunting. I'm hoping he and I cross paths again so I can feel him out about the offer. But I'd like to see what y'all prefer as far as scope and rings, ammo (I've read where leverlution ammo was well liked) and general guidance on hunting lever action. TIA.

All of my lever guns are .30-30 and seem to like the 160g Leverevolution.  Historically, I preferred a 180g Rem-Lok SP.  

I have a Marlin 336 with a 2-7 Leupold mounted with "see through" rings so I can use the factory irons.  I think the rings I am using were Talley's, but it has been so long I can't remember. 

However, my favorite brush gun is a Winchester 94 with a Williams peep sight.  I feel pretty confident out to 200-250yrds.   

I have a bolt gun for more open areas, but I really like hunting trails around thickets and a lever gun fits the bill perfectly.  

If I were to hunt with that 30-30, I would get a 2X7 32mm scope and set it up on Weaver rings. Use lows or medium height rings which ever get the objective as low over the barrel as you can get without touching.
Reason for this set up is the 2 power will give you such a wide field of view (way better than most any 3X9) in most 30-30 ranges that it will be very easy to pick up anything as soon as you shoulder the gun. The low mounted scope enhances the fast check weld and target acquisition is a snap.
Back when I had a store front gun shop, I used to sell Winchester 150 grain Hollow Points. The guys that used that round on deer loved the way it put deer down right where they stood. I think the 170 grain factory loads are just too slow and just don't have the shocking speed of the 150's.
  • Like 1

Great information here, and my recommendation would be a combination of the two: I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x that I really like in Weaver rings (I'm guessing low because I had to remove the rear sight), and my rifle shoots Leverevolution well.

I like a fixed 4x for the 30-30. I use an older (brass and steel)weaver on mine. With the leverloution stuff, I was able to stretch my effective range by about 50yds. As above I have a 2-7 red field revolution on a different gun, great scope for the money.

If I were to hunt with that 30-30, I would get a 2X7 32mm scope and set it up on Weaver rings. Use lows or medium height rings which ever get the objective as low over the barrel as you can get without touching.
Reason for this set up is the 2 power will give you such a wide field of view (way better than most any 3X9) in most 30-30 ranges that it will be very easy to pick up anything as soon as you shoulder the gun. The low mounted scope enhances the fast check weld and target acquisition is a snap.
Back when I had a store front gun shop, I used to sell Winchester 150 grain Hollow Points. The guys that used that round on deer loved the way it put deer down right where they stood. I think the 170 grain factory loads are just too slow and just don't have the shocking speed of the 150's.

I used to work with an older man that loved the Win. 150 gr. HP load in a .30-30. He and his 2 daughter had killed a bunch of deer with that load over the years, and he said it always put the deer down quick.

I'd put a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it, and buy some Remington 150 grain core-loct ammo.

I personally don't care for a scope nor sling on a classic lever rifle. They both take away from the fast handling characteristics which made these rifles popular.

• Like 3

I'd put a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it, and buy some Remington 150 grain core-loct ammo.

I personally don't care for a scope nor sling on a classic lever rifle. They both take away from the fast handling characteristics which made these rifles popular.

Ditto.  For normal TN hunting ranges, peep sights are best.  They never fog up or get scratched.  The Remington 150gr Corelokt is a reliable killer and as flat-shooting as you get with 30-30.

I wish that I actually had the confidence to use iron sights - I prefer a scope for humane reasons and doing my research based on the information provided.

I have a 308 lever and a 30-30.   Ammo, not too picky, some sort of soft point hunting round.   Scope, I have a big one on the 308 (over 20X power at the top end, the low is around 10, can't recall the exact values)  and standard 3-7 on the 30-30.   Watch big scopes .. you don't want to block the hammer so the eye relief can't put it hanging over the hammer if you planned to cock it manually in the field.

Ditto.  For normal TN hunting ranges, peep sights are best.  They never fog up or get scratched.  The Remington 150gr Corelokt is a reliable killer and as flat-shooting as you get with 30-30.

Where does the idea that Tennessee deer hunting is always done at close range come from?  I've hunted all over Tennessee and I have yet to experience any part of the state where I could not find a place to stretch it out to long distances.  I can even think of spots in the East Tennessee mountains where I could see a lot further than I could shoot with any rifle that I own.  I can get it if you stay in the woods and hunt thick terrain.  Out of the 12 deer that I killed this past season 1 was shot at a distance of less than 100 yards.  7 between 100-200 yards and 4 between 200-325 yards.  Given I almost exclusively hunt fields and that makes for the possibility of much longer shots.  It's just that I've heard people say all of my life "You don't need anything bigger than a 30-30 to hunt Tennessee deer because you won't have a chance to kill anything over 100 yards."  I've done it and lived it and if I carried a 30-30 (I do own one) I'd be passing up a lot of shots that put deer in the freezer.

Where does the idea that Tennessee deer hunting is always done at close range come from?  I've hunted all over Tennessee and I have yet to experience any part of the state where I could not find a place to stretch it out to long distances.  I can even think of spots in the East Tennessee mountains where I could see a lot further than I could shoot with any rifle that I own.  I can get it if you stay in the woods and hunt thick terrain.  Out of the 12 deer that I killed this past season 1 was shot at a distance of less than 100 yards.  7 between 100-200 yards and 4 between 200-325 yards.  Given I almost exclusively hunt fields and that makes for the possibility of much longer shots.  It's just that I've heard people say all of my life "You don't need anything bigger than a 30-30 to hunt Tennessee deer because you won't have a chance to kill anything over 100 yards."  I've done it and lived it and if I carried a 30-30 (I do own one) I'd be passing up a lot of shots that put deer in the freezer.

That is the beauty of hunting in Tennessee.  We have lots of game, and lots of different areas to hunt.  If I am hunting thick cover and trails, I like a brush gun.  If I hunt an open area I use a bolt gun in .308 or .30-06.  Know your property, and know your game's habits.  

• Like 1