Decent AK factory gun?

Sam1

Hi, my name is Sam.  It's been almost 4 months since my last gun buy. <crowd - Hi Sam>  And I'm getting the itch again.

All kidding aside, been wanting to get an AK, don't want a fancy one, don't want to build one or buy one that was pieced together by someone else.  What are some of the decent factory options available?  I did the normal google-fu and came up with a few, but wanted to see if the hive has any recommendations before ordering.

Not worried about wood or composite, it will probably never be modded, just always wanted an AK and there's some empty space in the safe.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 2

Ok, NPAP's do not use standard AK parts. If you are cool with that then they will work just fine. But only current production guns.

In the under $700 range the current production WASR cannot be beat. It is 100% made in a foreign COMBLOC country that has been making them for a VERY long time. It takes all standard AK parts. AVOID WASRS THAT ARE NOT CURRENT PRODUCTION.

In the under $1,000 range it really is had to beat DDI. It takes all standard AK parts.

Above $1,000? Don't know because I would never spend that kind of money on a tool. Now if it were some sort of super rare model then I might but I doubt it.

AKs to avoid, going to be a big, long list:

IO Inc (unless it is the 100% Polish gun)

RAS 47's (They are using cast trunions and are falling like flies)

PSA AKs (same deal with the cast trunions but they are fairing a little better)

PAPs (They use non standard parts and depending on the gun they may have problems with heat treat)

If I had $1,000 to spend on an AK it would be a WASR, 1K rounds of ammunition and the rest in magazines.

The WASRs are coming with a Century trigger now and for a "factory" AK it is pretty amazing. I have measured them at 4 pounds.

You have my number Sam, before you buy anything I have not mentioned call me.

• Like 2

One more thing, you are more than welcome to come out and hold mine. I have 5-6 now that are all different kinds of flavors.

The ONLY ding I have against WASRs is the muzzle threads tend to be a little looser compared to others. It does not affect ANYTHING but to someone who is OCD about how a gun feels that can be a little disconcerting.

One more tip. Standard AKs use 14mm left hand. Airsoft uses 14mmLH. So you can use airsoft muzzle devices on a standard AK. And before anyone starts screaming realize you can get licensed copy muzzle brakes made out of 100% steel for ~1/10 the cost of one for a real one. I bought a licensed YHM muzzle brake and I cannot tell a difference between it and the real one. I paid like $18 shipped. I also picked up a licensed copy of a Griffin from a local airsoft store for under $25. So Ebay "14mm muzzle" and buy until your heart is content. And you can find similar, unlicensed, copies for even less. I bought a 3 prong similar to AAC's for like $8 shipped and it works.

Only one word of caution about using airsoft muzzle devices. You MUST drill out the exit hole if it is too small. Most are so big it does not matter but there are a few I have found that might cause problems. And if you happen to have one of those send it to me and I will drill it and make sure it is good to go, for free.

• Like 2
About 2 years ago I was in exactly the same place as you. I wanted an ak but didn't know much about them. I wasn't as smart as you and asked around, I just waded on in. Let me take a minute and tell you what I learned based on personal experience.

I currently own seven AK,s because when the bug bit it bit hard. I will list in the order I bought and give my opinion of each. Mine are assorted calibers but I won't get into that today.

The first one I bought was, you guessed it , a Century RAS 47. I was originally attracted to the"all American AK". I now know that is not the best thought process for these firearms. Mine has ran well and is accurate. I am well aware of the issues that are showing up with these and it is a range only gun and realistically will probably become a gift to my son because currently as a college student he probably couldn't afford the ammo to wear it out! I would not purchase again.

Second was a WASR based on a recommendation by Dolomite in another thread. I currently have two of them. Fit is great and finish is adequate. They run like sewing machines. They are accurate and I would trust my life with either one. When I bought mine prices were still in the 500 range but have been climbing. Buy WASR with confidence. Probably best bang for buck.

Third was an arsenal. It's a great gun. Fit is excellent and it functions perfectly. On mine the finish is not what I would expect for the cost but keep in mind AKs are meant to be used! It's a folding stock version and I do like that about it. I do not regret the purchase and would trust my life with it. I just think for less money there are options at least as good.

My last was a DDI. It is built on a surplus kit but the fit finish and function are amazing. The cost was in the middle of the WASR and arsenal. It is without a doubt my current favorite with the WASR's a very close second. I know earlier I gave a comment about Amercan AK's but these guys seem committed to quality and the platform.
Someone earlier mention WASR +ammo + mags and if you are only going to own one that is probably what I would recommend also. Lots of ammo and mags!

I've got one of the DDI's. I love it and glad I picked it. That said I now want a WASR to go with it since the DDI is blacked out and I'd like to have a wooden one. So bottom line is either way you go its probably not going to be the only one.

I have a Century M92 PAP and it's a decent gun. Only complaint I had was the factory trigger sucked. But I'm spoiled on Geissele triggers, so you might not find it so bad.

$499 here https://www.preppergunshop.com/m92pv-zastava-pap-ak-pistol-7-62x39-with-two-magazines.html

fc5dd7a8e06911ea4324c698efc54939.jpg

Or you could get a Saiga Kalashnikov US132Z I have one and love it. http://www.kalashnikov-usa.com/firearms/modern-rifle-us132z

a3101f49082919dc3212b45e732bebba.jpg

$908 here: http://grabagun.com/russian-weapons-co-4.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JohnC

I am glad this came up.  I have never had one and been thinking about getting one.  This info may be very helpful.  My use for one would be much the same as yours.  A later WASR would probably suit me just fine.

Thanks for the feedback and this thread, an AK is always in the back of my mind. I just always debate on the ammount of money to add a new gun plus ammo, or I could take the 1k and buy more ammo for my existing guns and spend more time training with them...

I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread.  The bug bit me again.  I have spent a big part of this day scanning classifieds for a fair deal on a recent WASR or DDI.  I missed a good WASR a few weeks back that was a little too far off for the time I had available to go after it.  That's OK though, I'm persistent.  I sure appreciate the input of the above posts.  Quality of the posts is what attracted me to this forum.  I had heard that WASRs were better now than they used to be but the above info eased my mind.  I do believe one of the recent productions would suit my use just fine.

I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. The bug bit me again. I have spent a big part of this day scanning classifieds for a fair deal on a recent WASR or DDI. I missed a good WASR a few weeks back that was a little too far off for the time I had available to go after it. That's OK though, I'm persistent. I sure appreciate the input of the above posts. Quality of the posts is what attracted me to this forum. I had heard that WASRs were better now than they used to be but the above info eased my mind. I do believe one of the recent productions would suit my use just fine.

What is the range of price points you're seeing on the WASRs?