Needing Broke Guns

Well, this is probably the most thought of thing a prospective gunsmith "might think" he needs off the get go. When I went to gunsmith school in 1979, none of the students worked on any guns for the first couple of months. What we did do in that time was to learn how to properly use hand tools and machines to first make a 2" machinist square. The way they checked your work for flat is dribble talcum powder on the file cut flats of the square and see if it all scraped off with a straight edge and blocked out all the light from the ceiling lights once it had an edge placed on its edge. Only then did we move to making gunsmith tools like barrel vise & bushings and other things lick action wrenches and things like spring compressors. A number of people couldn't get the square right and they were asked to leave.

The point being you have to have a true mechanical talent or else you will damage more things than you improve. One good place to start is get your self some knife kits that need to have wood handles fit to the tang, drilled, peened and hand filed, sanded and finished smooth with the tang. Sounds silly, but a lot of gunsmithing skill is used to make a perfect factory smooth finished knife handle.

Maybe you have all ready figured this all out, and that makes a great start. As for clunker work guns, I see em at gun shows time from time and some gun shops have them in the back if you ask.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Well, this is probably the most thought of thing a prospective gunsmith "might think" he needs off the get go. When I went to gunsmith school in 1979, none of the students worked on any guns for the first couple of months. What we did do in that time was to learn how to properly use hand tools and machines to first make a 2" machinist square. The way they checked your work for flat is dribble talcum powder on the file cut flats of the square and see if it all scraped off with a straight edge and blocked out all the light from the ceiling lights once it had an edge placed on its edge. Only then did we move to making gunsmith tools like barrel vise & bushings and other things lick action wrenches and things like spring compressors. A number of people couldn't get the square right and they were asked to leave.

The point being you have to have a true mechanical talent or else you will damage more things than you improve. One good place to start is get your self some knife kits that need to have wood handles fit to the tang, drilled, peened and hand filed, sanded and finished smooth with the tang. Sounds silly, but a lot of gunsmithing skill is used to make a perfect factory smooth finished knife handle.

Maybe you have all ready figured this all out, and that makes a great start. As for clunker work guns, I see em at gun shows time from time and some gun shops have them in the back if you ask.

Good Luck!

Well as I was growing up, my dad was a tool and die and a machinist. with that said I made my first full tang knife when I was 15, I am now 46. I understand what your saying and am refining my skills. I am ready to move to the next level.

Patrick,

Try Googling 'project guns for sale'.  Project guns are the term for something needing work.

Also, you may find a gunsmith who will give you a little part time work.  It would help your case to show up with something that demonstrates your tool and die skills.

Another thing you have to be aware of is the law.  As best I understand, you can't take in guns owned by someone else without a full FFL.

Patrick,

Try Googling 'project guns for sale'.  Project guns are the term for something needing work.

Also, you may find a gunsmith who will give you a little part time work.  It would help your case to show up with something that demonstrates your tool and die skills.

Another thing you have to be aware of is the law.  As best I understand, you can't take in guns owned by someone else without a full FFL.

I turned it in a few weeks ago so I already have that going.

I appreciate any frustration you are feeling.  A lot of it would go away if you are able to get an FFL.  The big challenge in getting an FFL is getting local authorities to to grant zoning if you aren't in a currently zoned area.

Not sure if you want to pursue that.  If so, you are much more likely to get zoning if you limit your activities so that you aren't buying and selling guns.  They actually use the term 'gunsmiths license'.  

Interestingly, you will find that The ATF is incredibly helpful.   You can get them on the phone and they will walk you through what is needed.  They will also coach you on what to say to the zoning folks.  I would imagine that a lot depends on where you live. 

I'm in an apartment and chose not to pursue one because I can't imagine that the apartment owners would cooperate.

The license doesn't cost that much.

I don't want to make it sound easy.  Many on TGO would like to have an FFL and few of us do - the choke point being the zoning.

Edited by Pete123