Ticks are coming out , be careful

It's warm again and ticks are coming out . Be careful . My brother has Alpha Gal and has had it for several years . he got bit by a Lone Star tick and can't ever eat mammal meat again  . For you guys who forgot biology , that means no more beef , pork , squiril , deer , and on and on . He can only eat birds , reptiles and fish as far as meat goes . The Lone Star tick carries the Alpha Gal carbohydrate and or protein I think  it's called . My brother got bit by one and now carries an EPPI-Pen in case he ever accidently eats something with mammal meat in it . If he does the mammal meat will damn near kill him . The simplest things can have mammal meat in them like hot dogs and even gravy. Good news for him , he discovered a few years ago that he can eat a RED MEAT that is from a BIRD . It's an EMU . I even tried some . I cant tell the difference in appeareance , taste , nor texture from cow meat . It's AWESOME . But the Alpha Gal disease is a bad thing and will change your life forever if you ever get bit with the right Lone Star tick . So be carefull out there while in the grass and woods !  

Edited by tercel89

Ugh, ticks...we used to do a count for how many we pulled off for each platoon after coming back from the field. 

This winter that wasn't is going to mean a lot more bugs a lot earlier than usual.  I already have to cut my grass sometime this week as it's getting unseemly after all the rain and spring like weather we've had.

Some people just don't get what I tell them about my brother , but this will change your WHOLE life . He cant eat at a regular restaurant or other things unless they can for sure cook the food away from mammal meat . I deer hunt and eat lots of deer meat so when I hunt and it's still warm I am very carefull with these ticks.

I cant imagine not being able to not eat deer , cow , nor pork. And for that mutton , goat , and so on.

I even treat my pets more now due to Alpha Gal . I don't want them giving me a tick bite from the Lone Star

Never heard of Alpha Gal... interesting.  And kinda frightening. 

It's crazy , and sounds crazy but look it up on google or such . My bother finally got diagnosed by Vanderbilt Hospital after 2 years of terrible sicknesses and such . They said that this is a big thing that is in the southeastern part of the US .

It's warm again and ticks are coming out . Be careful . My brother has Alpha Gal and has had it for several years . he got bit by a Lone Star tick and can't ever eat mammal meat again  . For you guys who forgot biology , that means no more beef , pork , squiril , deer , and on and on . He can only eat birds , reptiles and fish as far as meat goes . The Lone Star tick carries the Alpha Gal carbohydrate and or protein I think  it's called . My brother got bit by one and now carries an EPPI-Pen in case he ever accidently eats something with mammal meat in it . If he does the mammal meat will damn near kill him . The simplest things can have mammal meat in them like hot dogs and even gravy. Good news for him , he discovered a few years ago that he can eat a RED MEAT that is from a BIRD . It's an EMU . I even tried some . I cant tell the difference in appeareance , taste , nor texture from cow meat . It's AWESOME . But the Alpha Gal disease is a bad thing and will change your life forever if you ever get bit with the right Lone Star tick . So be carefull out there while in the grass and woods !

One of our salesmen had that.  He was unable to eat meat for several years, but eventually, it went away.  Now he is fine eating red meat.

As I understand it, a tick must be attached for about 24 hours before you can get a tick borne disease. I check myself pretty carefully every day in the summer for ticks. I don't use sprays because that stuff can leach through your skin, regardless of how "safe" it says it is on the label.

• Like 1
I know 2 people with that tick borne illness. I use permethrin and bug spray when I'm in the woods. If I ever find a tick on me, I shower in dog flee and tick shampoo. Kills them dead!

True story, at one point when I was a kid, I got into a nest of seed ticks. I literally had thousands buried in my skin. The only solution was dog flee and tick shampoo and it worked like a charm.

The only side affect is that if you rub my stomach my left leg starts twitching.
  • Like 8

One of our salesmen had that.  He was unable to eat meat for several years, but eventually, it went away.  Now he is fine eating red meat.

The doctors at Vanderbilt did say that some people's bodies can "reset" themselves after a long time away from mammal meat . My brother tried that after several years but it didn't work well. He now even gets badly sick when eating some things made with milk.

Talk about ruining someone's day.  Never heard of that before, and it would affect me liking bacon!  Now I want to soak my entire property in 1" of insecticide.

• Like 2

Sorry about your brother~I hate ticks!  Plants are good to eat though, I've been on a plant based diet going on 4 yrs now...luckily my own decision.  My health was going downhill fast and decided to eat a plant based diet because of all the health benefits.  Eating plant based meals in addition to regular exercising has truly changed my life, and i'm sure it will your brothers.  Ironically, that little blood sucker probably added a couple more years to your brother's life lol.  Not to mention save him $$$.  

• Like 2

We are going to be getting birds sometime this year. Guinea fowl are amazing at keeping tics away from the house.

It is amazing what can happen. My wife found out a little over a year ago that she was diabetic. In that year she has lost over 70 pounds and, even with diabetes, is in much better health. And along with her I lost close to 40 pounds. I can say that I feel a million times better despite all my other problems.

As I understand it, a tick must be attached for about 24 hours before you can get a tick borne disease. I check myself pretty carefully every day in the summer for ticks. I don't use sprays because that stuff can leach through your skin, regardless of how "safe" it says it is on the label.

It may not be 100% but it GREATLY reduced the risk if ticks are removed within 24hrs. I've probably had encounters with more ticks than most people on this site combined. I used permethrin on field clothes. One issue was carrying ticks back into the house on clothes to be found later. So I started shedding all clothes at the door. Gather them up and take them straight to the dryer. Put them in on high for 15 mins and all ticks will be dead...they'll be on the lint filter so clean that. Then all that's left is checking yourself thoroughly and removing any found.

Sorry about your brother~I hate ticks!  Plants are good to eat though, I've been on a plant based diet going on 4 yrs now...luckily my own decision.  My health was going downhill fast and decided to eat a plant based diet because of all the health benefits.  Eating plant based meals in addition to regular exercising has truly changed my life, and i'm sure it will your brothers.  Ironically, that little blood sucker probably added a couple more years to your brother's life lol.  Not to mention save him $$$.  

True but I hunt deer and squrril a lot. I butcher my own meat and so I would bring him lots of fresh game meat . Which is all natural and antibiotic free. He loved it but now he cant have it .

Red meat is good for you as long as it is natural. Deer and even cows that are left alone to graze and not fed antibiotics and feed and corn have omega fatty acids that are great for your blood and body . Just like Salmon .

But when they are fed grains and corn then that's when things are not good.

So red meat is good for you but only when it is natural .

We are going to be getting birds sometime this year. Guinea fowl are amazing at keeping tics away from the house.

It is amazing what can happen. My wife found out a little over a year ago that she was diabetic. In that year she has lost over 70 pounds and, even with diabetes, is in much better health. And along with her I lost close to 40 pounds. I can say that I feel a million times better despite all my other problems.

yeah A lot of people near me use Guineas on their place to run around and eat up the bugs and ticks.

Sorry about your brother~I hate ticks! Plants are good to eat though, I've been on a plant based diet going on 4 yrs now...luckily my own decision. My health was going downhill fast and decided to eat a plant based diet because of all the health benefits. Eating plant based meals in addition to regular exercising has truly changed my life, and i'm sure it will your brothers. Ironically, that little blood sucker probably added a couple more years to your brother's life lol. Not to mention save him $$$.

I was a vegan for years. I loved it. Unfortunately, I'd have to be a wealthy man to eat a purely plant based diet with the calories I consume a day for my weightlifting schedule. That being said, that disease sounds horrifying.

I once knew a man who, from birth, simply couldn't metabolize red meat. Bizarre. Edited by suspiciousmind