Want to buy a shed for the back yard...need advice

BigK

I know nothing about storage sheds besides what I like and don't like. I think I want a wooden shed with a shingled roof that will keep stuff dry...nothing huge or fancy, since it's just for storage not to work in. I mostly want more storage, so I can get the lawnmowers, bicycles, yard tools, and household storage items out of my man cave (garage). 

Any suggestions?

Anything I should look for?

Anything I should avoid?

Where at in middle TN can I get a good deal?

Edited by BigK

Buy bigger than what you think you'll need. I  bought a 8 x 12 from the place in Lavergne on Murfreesboro Road, and after 7-8 years it's full. Interestingly enough, if you pour a concrete pad for the shed you have to have a building permit, but if you use boards to set the shed upon you don't have to have a permit.

EDIT: If I had it to do over again I'd build my own. The shed doors ain't made for tall people. I've left numerous welts on the top of my head because I didn't duck low enough.  :(

Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Like 2

Buy bigger than what you need (as has been said)

Are you wanting a pre-built shed or one you build yourself?

For pre-built sheds, go to the "lots" on the side of the road and walk around them, see what they have.  Ask the pre-built places if they have any repo/bank owned units.  I bought two sheds that way, one is 10x10 metal and the other is 14x20 gable style.  Had them delivered for free and setup by the delivery guy (they have a really neat trailer for getting into tight places).

For build your own type, be aware that the "kits" at HD (and possibly Lowe's) may not contain everything you need.  At my old house, I got an 8x8 shed kit from HD.  Floor joists were 24" OC 2x4, if I wanted them closer or use 2x6's I had to supply extra.  Wall studs were 24" OC, again if i wanted 16"OC  I had to supply the extra boards.  Roofing material was not in the kit (no roofing paper or shingles, just the OSB boards).  After adding in extra 2x's for better floor wall support and roofing, it would have been cheaper to just buy the individual components and build from scratch.

Good luck!

When my kids were in high school (in Knoxville, TN) they had a shop/carpentry class that built several sheds.  They were all around $800 and I bought one of those.  Not sure if your local high schools may have the same types of classes, but they were built solid and it still looks great to this day.  The football team loaded it onto a trailer for me, and when I got home I wrapped a rope around it, and the other end to the bottom of a timber fence post..drove away slowly and where it came off the trailer is where it still sits today :).  They are really too heavy to do much with (unless you have your own football team or a bunch of mules).  Best wishes, B

Edited by Bassoneer

I bought a 10x10 from a local storage building company (Cherokee Storage Buildings). It is run by Mennonites and it is the best yard building I have ever seen. Way over built and solid. Highly recommend looking for Mennonites builders they take pride in their work. Besides what has already been said about bigger (10x10 was as big as would fit where I wanted it) go at least 10 ft wide, most times the 10' comes with a bigger door which will appreciate when you start moving things in and out. They also delivered with a real trick trailer that puts the building where ever you want it. I ordered the wrong ramp and they took it back and delivered a longer one the next day, only charge was the difference it the cost of the two ramps. When I said I might be putting extra heavy stuff in the center they added an extra pier in the middle, no extra charge. You sit down and tell them what you want and what you don't and they tell you the cost and built it with siding, roof, size, etc you want.

• Like 2

I don't think I can buy one that's pre-built. There's no way to drive it into the spot it needs to go. We have an above ground pool blocking access to the gate.

I may have to have it built/assembled onsite or buy a kit.

Check on line for used sheds. You can save a bunch, and for a good price you can hire someone with the right equipment to move and set it up. I bought two this way and saved a bunch.

I moved one of mine. Jacked it up with a handyman jack and backed a utility trailer under it.
  • Like 1

Buy bigger than what you think you'll need. I  bought a 8 x 12 from the place in Lavergne on Murfreesboro Road, and after 7-8 years it's full. Interestingly enough, if you pour a concrete pad for the shed you have to have a building permit, but if you use boards to set the shed upon you don't have to have a permit.

EDIT: If I had it to do over again I'd build my own. The shed doors ain't made for tall people. I've left numerous welts on the top of my head because I didn't duck low enough.   :(

That one is right down the road from me. I'll check them out.

• Like 1

If you can't get to the location where you want the building placed this won't be much help, but we bought a Derksen building from a local dealer last year.  We had a load of gravel put down and leveled and had the building dropped on it.  The quality of their buildings seemed much better than the ones I checked at Lowes or Home Depot, and the price was very reasonable.  So far we've been pleased.  Sometimes the local dealers have "used" ones that they sell at a good discount, but when we were looking they didn't have one in the size we wanted so we had to wait about 2 weeks for them to build it.

Here's a website.  You can check to see if there's a dealer near you.

http://derksenbuildings.com/

Good luck!

Edited by Chazmr

I'm looking around for a 10x10 shed myself. i have a 11x11 pad that it would fit great on but I know nothing about building anything but legos.

If I had the foundation done for me and it was level, I'd have no trouble building the actual building myself. I have the tools/skills to do that, but I don't know jack about leveling a foundation.

If I had the foundation done for me and it was level, I'd have no trouble building the actual building myself. I have the tools/skills to do that, but I don't know jack about leveling a foundation.

Are you going to pour a pad, put gravel down, or use boards?

Are you going to pour a pad, put gravel down, or use boards?

I went and talked to a place here in La Vergne after work. I got a price for a 10'X14' lofted barn style shed. This place builds them on 6"X6" pressure treated skids and use wood shims to level it when they set it up.

Edited by BigK

I measured the width of the pathway to where the shed will sit before I went to ensure I had at least 12' of space (required for a 10' shed) the whole way to where it'd sit. When I got home with the quote I realized I only have a 10' gate...doh! 

My choices are now build onsite or buy a puny little 8' shed and need another in a few years.

I measured the width of the pathway to where the shed will sit before I went to ensure I had at least 12' of space (required for a 10' shed) the whole way to where it'd sit. When I got home with the quote I realized I only have a 10' gate...doh! 

My choices are now build onsite or buy a puny little 8' shed and need another in a few years.

Since you are going to build I'd pour a pad, use pressures treated boards on the bottom, and vinyl siding to match the house. If you don't want to pour a pad I'd at lease pour footers to place the bottom boards on. You can trench, place and level the boards, mark the level, pour the concrete then set the board level while that concrete dries underneath it. Lavergne's building permit is just $50.

• Like 1

Before you get carried away with a foundation check with your town tax people. Many places if the shed is on skids it doesn't raise your taxes, if it is on a foundation it raises your taxes. You can dig down a little and dry stack cement blocks in a coupe of places to sit the skids on and it will last a long time. My old place had a shed I built that was 40 years old and moved once. Still in ok condition, I put a new roof on and painted it a few times and that is all. When we sold the house the shed need a little repair work to the doors but ok otherwise.

Jim...

• Like 1