Need a Truck Gun

SoldMyHat

8 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

but I also was taught by my grandfather that it doesn't matter how many shots you have if you make the first one count.  

Things were different then. We didn't have as many mob incidents then as we do now. When there were riots in yesteryear, there was a build-up to them. Communication was slower so building outrage took longer. Everyone knew Harlem was about to erupt in the 1970s, but something like Ferguson can happen in a matter of a few hours due to social media and the 24 hour news cycle. Cops used to carry revolvers because 6 shots was plenty "if you make the first one count". Incidents requiring a self-defense action were one or two perps. Today an officer can make every shot count from a 17+1 Glock 17 and had still better have an extra mag or 3, and more officers on the way. Criminals acting together, higher capacity firearms, and the possibility of body armor have changed the equation.

On a normal day, I don't have a 10 man death squad after me. I tend to avoid places and people that make that happen. 

Reginald Denny was just driving his dump truck for his construction job on what he thought was a normal day when he found himself in the start of the Rodney King riots in L.A.  I doubt he was expecting the death squad to be after him that day. The SHTF truck gun is for days that are decidedly not normal days. It's simply an insurance policy. Almost everyone with it will probably never need it, but it only takes once and you'd better have it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

Things were different then. We didn't have as many mob incidents then as we do now. When there were riots in yesteryear, there was a build-up to them. Communication was slower so building outrage took longer. Everyone knew Harlem was about to erupt in the 1970s, but something like Ferguson can happen in a matter of a few hours due to social media and the 24 hour news cycle. Cops used to carry revolvers because 6 shots was plenty "if you make the first one count". Incidents requiring a self-defense action were one or two perps. Today an officer can make every shot count from a 17+1 Glock 17 and had still better have an extra mag or 3, and more officers on the way. Criminals acting together, higher capacity firearms, and the possibility of body armor have changed the equation.

Reginald Denny was just driving his dump truck for his construction job on what he thought was a normal day when he found himself in the start of the Rodney King riots in L.A.  I doubt he was expecting the death squad to be after him that day. The SHTF truck gun is for days that are decidedly not normal days. It's simply an insurance policy. Almost everyone with it will probably never need it, but it only takes once and you'd better have it.

I don't disagree with a single thing you are saying. I just think the first step is to stay aware and take actions that minimize the necessity.  I have had more than one near miss with mob violence over the years. In those instances, my gun was not an option due to location (like foreign soil as a civilian). I avoided them by being aware and making an exit away from the issue before it came to a head.

Anyway, everyone's opinion is their own. It comes down to you feeling like you are armed appropriately for the worst case scenario you might face. That is based within the budget you can afford. Goes back to "Any gun is better than no gun, but some guns are better than others"

Biggest question is --- SoldMyHat, did you decide and buy anything?

Even though I seldom expect anything to happen that would actually require a long gun but recently I have been thinking about it. I have drawn the conclusion that if I am going to go anywhere that I might be in a situation to need a long gun I will put my Emperor Assault shotgun in my Jeep loaded with the 3 inch Magnum BB rounds and a belt of extra rounds. I figure if there is a mob situation and I have to use my long gun It will have a spreading effect that will hit more than a couple bad guys................jmho

4 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I like ARs and will get one when budget allows it, but I also was taught by my grandfather that it doesn't matter how many shots you have if you make the first one count.   I figure since he survived World War II and being a police officer, that is opinion counts for a little bit. And if the turds really hit the blades, I'm hoofing it home where I've got a lot more set up. On a normal day, I don't have a 10 man death squad after me. I tend to avoid places and people that make that happen. 

The OP wanted an all around gun to keep in the truck. We can all debate it for a long time, but only he can decide what works well enough for him within the budget he has.

Throwing out budgets and laws, he might just decide to carry a minigun in his truck. Works for gunfights, herds of deer, rabid trucks, and cutting down trees. See, all around gun. lol

Not bashing your lever gun, if it's all you have. The one shot thing doesn't count today. Once again, if you need a rifle in your truck all the time, it ain't because you may get robbed by Crackhead Willie. That's what pistols are for.

Minigun uses too much ammo, although it may change the way snowflakes do their business. 

I haven't bought anything yet for a dedicated truck gun. I keep a ccw in the console since I can't carry at work. I instead decided to build a bolt action 308 for long range. I still think about it quite often though. I am thinking more towards a Ruger American compact 308 with a low power scope. It would cover a lot of holes and be pretty cheap. But I have a few more items to buy for my lrp rifle right now. 

oIunWJj.jpg

Edited by SoldMyHat
On 12/2/2016 at 1:11 PM, mikegideon said:

It does. You can't get the kind I have anymore, but you can get this. I have one of these too...

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-Compact-Inch-Discreet-29-Inch/dp/B005CGLUVU

UPS delivered it today! It's a nice case. Good value for the price. I might have to build a new AR for it now ;) just to live in this case in the truck in between range sessions. 

Edited by Wingshooter

The AR pistol with 10.5" or 11.5" barrel in a  blue UTG 30" Alpha Battle discreet bag for $55.00 makes for a good truck gun without having to put your AR pistol together like you would in the Bulldog discreet case. The Bulldog case doesn't have shoulder straps.  If you have CCP and your vehicle breaks down, and you need to walk away from your vehicle, you would be legal with your AR pistol. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

UPS delivered it today! It's a nice case. Good value for the price. I might have to build a new AR for it now ;) just to live in this case in the truck in between range sessions. 

I have another Bulldog case that's just a plain old "assault rifle" case. They make good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm of two minds about a good truck gun. 

On one hand, I think that the ideal is a good M1 carbine in a paratrooper stock.  The repro para stocks are decent quality and very reasonable.    The package folds up small enough to fit into a Bren gun spare barrel bag.  The pockets hold extra 15 and 30rd magazines very nicely. A bit of shopping will find a decent Plainfield or Alpine carbine for about $500.

My other thought is to wait for the price on the Keltec CMR-30 to come down a bit.  One of those as an SBR with 12" barrel would fit into a very small light package with several 30rd mags.  A tennis racquet bag would be good camouflage.

Neither is an ideal caliber.  But they both have light weight, concealability and high firepower going for them.  The M1 carbine also doesn't scream 'assault rifle' like an AR or AK would! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 9:20 AM, monkeylizard said:

I don't currently even have a dedicated long gun as a 'truck gun' nor do I generally have a long gun with me.  However, I have considered the possibility and, in my case, the idea has absolutely nothing to do with 'mob violence'.  Although my place of employment is on (the quieter end of) Lovell Road I really rarely go anywhere that passing through riots or mob violence on the way home is a real concern, especially as I utilize back roads a lot of the time where the population is low density and the demographics are fairly 'low risk'.  I don't drive through East L.A. or Memphis, am in Nashville maybe once every two or three years (if that) and since moving out of the hood years ago am not even in the more questionable parts of Knoxville very often.  Closer to where I live unless the squirrels and deer decide to riot there isn't much to worry about, either.  If I did live or have to travel daily in such locales or other places where mob violence were more of a concern then as you say a higher capacity semiauto rifle would make more sense.  To me, however. having a long gun at hand in addition to a hand gun would be more about increasing options and utility than as a way to battle a mob.  The thing I consider is that, while I probably wouldn't have to deal with more than one or two assailants in my daily travels because of the rural area I pass through and live in I believe that the chances said assailants would, themselves, have long guns and the possibility of needing to defend myself at longer ranges is increased.  This is also a consideration when going fishing (I don't have a boat so I am talking about bank fishing) in less populous areas where I will have a handgun on me but might feel a little better if I have something with a little more 'oomph' - or even just a little more practical accuracy due to a longer sight radius - ready at hand.  I also don't foresee any situation where I would be called upon to make a 1000 yard head shot on an assailant.  Therefore, for me and my situation (just as one example that kind of runs counter to your own) a lever gun or possibly even a pump shotgun (with a selection of ammo to include slugs for slightly longer range and better barrier penetration) would suit me as well as or even better than a higher capacity semiauto - although I do have to admit that I have considered using my Hi Point 9mm carbine (which is much like the one in a previous post) for the purpose.  Yes, the capacity isn't very high but as I said that isn't as much a consideration for me plus Hi Point sells stock-mounted magazine carriers which can be set up to hold one magazine on each side of the stock.  Those would allow one to have 20 more rounds on board for a total of 30 rounds right on the carbine and it cost me little enough - and is already 'not pretty' enough - that leaving it in a case in the truck wouldn't bother me a whole lot.. 

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...