Need a Truck Gun

SoldMyHat

Everyone's idea of the perfect truck gun is different.  I have a .223 bolt action with a 3x9 scope that wasn't really being used for much of anything but range time.  I stuck it in my truck along with a variety of ammunition.  I did this after the last time that I got off work early, which was unexpected, and had time to go hunting but didn't have my rifle.  I really like the .223 because I can take just about anything that I need to in this part of the state with it effectively.  Not my first choice for deer but it will do.  I carry some 62 grn soft points and some 50 grn varmint tips, along with some 55grn FMJs just in case I want to shoot just to shoot.  It's a pretty inexpensive outfit but I really like it, I actually think I like that gun a little bit more each time I shoot it.

I really like my Rossi m92 in .357 mag. Ballistically, a 30-30 under 300 yrds in a lighter bullet and you can lighten it up with .38 special for small game. I also like the idea of the 336 but feel like I can get more versatility with the M92.

In semi auto, a Yugo M92 is hard to beat. Cheap available ammo and is very compact. Edited by Smith
With the help of another friend I think I've decided on a lever action 30-30. Going to start my search for a decent used one. Seems to be the best of both worlds and doesn't look all tactical in case I need it for a worst case scenario. I liked what one guy said on another thread "don't look like the bad guy". And the lever gun would be a good woods gun as well and deer rifle if needed.
  • Like 5
  • 1 month later...

I'll throw a wrench in the works. Another excellent option, Savage 340. This is a bolt action 30-30. There are a bunch out there, go for $200-$300(usually with scope) and are a great value. Also was sold as Stevens 325, savage 840, etc....

Ill echo the comment about Hornady leverloution ammo, it'll stretch the common available 30-30 loads by about 50yds. I used it until I started reloading .

Edited by Jct1911
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Keltec Sub2000 with matching mags to your edc handgun might fit the bill. 

For some reason after reading through this thread I am picturing Oh Shoot wearing a Russian mafia tracksuit to go with his tennis racket case.

Edited by McGarrett
  • Like 5
On March 16, 2016 at 9:53 PM, SoldMyHat said:

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I guess I should have specified that it would be my only deer/large game rifle as well. I was looking hard at a Marlin 336 youth. But I worry a little about the 30/30 for deer past 100 yards especially with a 16" barrel.

Keep em coming

You've been a victim of gun store b.s. A 30-30, while not a true long range caliber, is more than sufficient for a 200 yard clean kill on anything in the continental U.S.

while there's an m4 under the seat of my truck, a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336 would be a fine choice. Add a Williams Foolproof receiver sight and prepare to be amazed.

My pre 64 Winchester will shoot moa groups regularly with factory sights.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

You've been a victim of gun store b.s. A 30-30, while not a true long range caliber, is more than sufficient for a 200 yard clean kill on anything in the continental U.S.

while there's an m4 under the seat of my truck, a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336 would be a fine choice. Add a Williams Foolproof receiver sight and prepare to be amazed.

My pre 64 Winchester will shoot moa groups regularly with factory sights.

I'll second all of this. The 30-30 is a fine deer gun to 200 maybe 250 yards. Bullet selection is important. Much of the old info is based on old bullet technology. With modern ammunition I wouldn't be worried about white tail deer at 200yds. it would also be handy for many other types of game.

Put a receiver sight on it and you will truly be surprised at the accuracy and the speed that you can pick up targets with. A receiver sight on a lever gun changes it completely!

• Like 2
On 5/29/2016 at 6:35 PM, McGarrett said:

Keltec Sub2000 with matching mags to your edc handgun might fit the bill. 

For some reason after reading through this thread I am picturing Oh Shoot wearing a Russian mafia tracksuit to go with his tennis racket case.

Well, that's an idea, a tracksuit would certainly be a good "gray man" cover for a big heater in a racquet case. But not enough pockets for the rest of my loadout. ;)

The Sub2000, like all rifles, has the same single downside in TN, ie, illegal to carry in general public if you need to leave the chariot with it and walk around.  Of course that's just during normal times, wouldn't matter in a meltdown WROL situation.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Well, that's an idea, a tracksuit would certainly be a good "gray man" cover for a big heater in a racquet case. 

Don't you mean "gay man"?  :lol:

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

All this talk about the 30-30 is making me want to get the old 336 out and head to the range! But for me, 5.56 in the truck in 16 inch rifle form or 10.5 inch pistol. Plus my 30-30 was passed down to me from my Pappaw so I can easily replace the AR platform but cannot replace history or sentimental value.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

I use an AR pistol. You can have it loaded and hidden if you have your CCW. 

Anyone not prohibited from possession period can have any firearm loaded and hidden in private vehicle with no permit required in TN.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4