Kid's gasoline 4-wheeler?

Anyone have any experience with the cheap Chinese ($400-500) fourwheelers I've seen advertised lately? Would like to get one for my grandson, if it won't fall apart in the first year.

I looked at Yamaha kid models, but at $2000, that ain't happening! :) 

Seems to be luck of the draw.  If you get a good one, it'll be fine long after the kid outgrows it.  If you get a bad one....   Stuff I've read suggests their quality is much better than it used to be, so I'd opt for a new one over one several years old unless you know the seller and trust that it was trouble free.

I had a Chinese dirt bike. Same motor. They are exact replicas of Honda motors but the fit and finish is awful. Some are pretty good some are pretty bad. The good thing is parts are really cheap. If you are okay with tinkering on it from time to time then they are fine. Just don't expect them to be like a Honda where you will generally just have routine maintenance and rarely ever does something break.

I know of a few people that gave them a try.  Some are exact knock offs of the heavy hitters in the motorcycle industry.  I've heard and read stories that some of them are built with old worn out tools and dies sold off for scrap by the big name companies.  Of the ones I know about the first thing to go are the welds on the frames.  You get what you pay for.

You'll need to be a mechanic. Even though they maybe exact knockoffs the materials they are made of is inferrior. Poor quality metal etc.

And if you check into the number of traumatic brain injuries caused by 4 wheelers in children you'd probably change your mind.

And if you check into the number of traumatic brain injuries caused by 4 wheelers in children you'd probably change your mind.

I am so glad I didn't grow up in today's ridiculous no fun environment.  I would have missed out on about 90% of the best things I ever had as a kid.  I might make my kid where a helmet (which we didn't do), but taking away everything that "could be" dangerous makes for a boring childhood.  No wonder we have so many weenies out there today.  I learned a lot about physics from having too much fun.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

if you buy a quad that is sized to fit a kid now he will outgrow it in very short order.  If I had bought one when the oldest grandson was 8 by the time he was 9 he would have been too big for it.

I'd recommend looking for a used one with a 200cc or 250cc motor.  It may be light enough for a kid to handle and will last him into adult hood.  Only let him have it if his feet can hit the pegs. 

While 2k is a lot of money, in the long run it might be cheaper.  

The hardest thing to teach a new rider, especially a kid is Fear.  Quads are dangerous and a good dose of fear is helpful.  And insist on a helmet.

Of course if the kid in question if five years old or so I'd hesitate on getting them one. There are battery operated kiddie quads and dirt bikes that may be more appropriate.

All of my advice may be pointless depending on the age of the boy and his size.

• Like 1

I am so glad I didn't grow up in today's ridiculous no fun environment.  I would have missed out on about 90% of the best things I ever had as a kid.  I might make my kid where a helmet (which we didn't do), but taking away everything that "could be" dangerous makes for a boring childhood.  No wonder we have so many weenies out there today.  I learned a lot about physics from having too much fun.

I hear you Hozzie, my first ride was a solid frame mini-bike with a Briggs motor, no suspension, no helmet, I survived a dozen motorcyles, atvs since, (61 years) but today don't condone the no helmet thing. My son, Itchytriggerfinger ... I started him on a cheap 3 wheeler WITH a helmet, he progressed to a Mini-trail 50 and eventually an XR100, which he sold at 16 to buy a car and chase girls.

I have two great grandsons through him, a 7 year old and 4 year old. Both have powerwheels, but the 7 year old has outgrown that. I have some tame trails cut through my woods (2 acres) for them, so I thought the next step might be the cheap atv as he doesn't have the 2 wheel itch his father had. I'm a good shade tree mechanic, 63H/E US ARMY. :)   If I can keep the 7 year old in a little atv for two years, and can keep it running, I'll pass it to the younger one. I really want a throttle limiter regardless, and I'm sure I can rig on up if need be. I do have a 420 Rancher in the garage, I might let them ride it ... when they're 21!  :rofl:

My youngest son had one. He outgrew it fast, but it ran like a top. I sold it for about what I gave for it new.

I'd suggest a bigger one the kid could grow into. There's no reason a little fella can't ride a full sized 4 wheeler. If I went this route, however, I'd buy a name brand one instead of a China knockoff.