Cop needs a kick in the Jimmy

Sam1

From the autoblog article it sounds like there had been a lot of complaints about this group of bikers.  If that is true them it looks like this officer was just trying to be a dick.  He has been relieved of all patrol duties and is on desk duty while being investigated.

So they were riding like douches and the officer succeeded at being a dick.   I figured as much.

Sadly most full face helmets wouldn't prevent you from being effected by the spray, maybe reduce it a but but I still think it would have been difficult to maintain control of a bike in traffic with your eyes closed.

It would at least keep from being directly sprayed in the eyes.  Some mist would certainly get in your face, but hopefully wouldn't be so debilitating as to make you unable to operate the bike.  If I'd been sprayed, I'd file assault charges.  Same as the douches who like to "roll coal" in their "I'm compensating for something" trucks. 

Honestly, speaking of movie sets, if this incident were to be made into a movie it sounds like a good title would be "Jerk Cop vs. Jerk Bikers: Clash of the Mega-Douches".

That about sums it up.

Edited by KahrMan

There were multiple complaints called in on this group of bikes.  Apparently, at various times they were driving at speeds far below the limit, holding up traffic, so a group of people standing in the back of a pickup truck at the head of their line could film them.  There were complaints of some members of this group of bikers driving recklessly at excessive speeds and weaving in, out and around traffic, 'popping wheelies' and so on.  At one point, the pickup truck with the folks in the back who were filming the bikers turned crossways in the road and blocked traffic so that this group of bikers could pass and the group could be filmed.  This is a public roadway, not a friggin' movie set or a closed course.  Based on those complaints, the bikers and their associates in the truck were creating hazardous traffic situations as well as being a nuisance.  In fact, it appears that the vehicle the officer had pulled over was that very pickup truck - one of the biker group's 'safety vehicles' - that was blocking traffic to film and so on..  In light of that, I think it is entirely possible that some of the bikers were intentionally 'buzzing' him.  Further, the driver of the truck was charged with driving with no license.  Now, I am not saying that what the cop did is excusable - it is not - but these bikers were no innocent bunch of lambs, either.  In fact, if the complaints called in have any truth to them then their actions sound a lot like that bunch of douche bags that dragged a father out of his SUV and beat him up a few years ago.  Anyone who has ever driven across 'the Tail of the Dragon' knows that - while many folks on two wheels are courteous and safe - some of them act like they own the public roads and that no one else has a right to be on them.  Apparently, many of the motorcyclists in this incident fall into the latter group.  As I said, that does not excuse what the cop did because if he had caused an accident by pepper spraying the bikers then that could have resulted in serious injury to the bikers as well as bystanders.

Honestly, speaking of movie sets, if this incident were to be made into a movie it sounds like a good title would be "Jerk Cop vs. Jerk Bikers: Clash of the Mega-Douches".

So the cliff notes version of the story is the bikers were annoying and harmed nobody so the cop attacked them. In the first part of the story there was no victim, therefore no crime. in the second part there was at least one victim, therefore a crime.

So the cliff notes version of the story is the bikers were annoying and harmed nobody so the cop attacked them. In the first part of the story there was no victim, therefore no crime. in the second part there was at least one victim, therefore a crime.

Well, unless you consider reckless driving, impeding traffic, creating a traffic hazard, driving in excess of the speed limit plus (specific to the group in the pickup) driving without a license and standing in the open back of a moving pickup truck to be crimes - which, well, they are.  Like I said, plenty of jackholery to go around in this incident.

Edited by JAB

If this group was acting as badly as described the police should have responded with enough units to control them and pull them over and cite them appropriately. One officer can not do that particularly on a multi lane highway. I make no excuse for the bikers as while I am a motorcyclist I have respect for others on the road. If they were in the wrong then they need to face the music. Regardless of their behavior if the officer couldn't handle the stress of the situation he should have remained in the car for another 15 seconds until the bikes passed before exiting his vehicle. He chose not to and in fact came out prepared to spray. No excuse for that.

If all of this is true then we have a confluence of multiple douchebagery on camera. It would be interesting to see the dash cam/body cam footage as well, but in the end I see no excuse for the officers behavior as the "conflict" was avoidable and as I understand the use of force regs. he was outside the lines there. We don't know the whole story and maybe never will.

• Like 1

Well, unless you consider reckless driving, impeding traffic, creating a traffic hazard, driving in excess of the speed limit plus (specific to the group in the pickup) driving without a license and standing in the open back of a moving pickup truck to be crimes - which, well, they are. Like I said, plenty of jackholery to go around in this incident.

As a matter of fact, no I don't consider them to be crimes. Annoying, douchebaggy, and assholish, yes. But remember, all crimes authorize police to use deadly force. I don't believe being a douchebag is worth shooting someone over.
And let us not forget: This cop had no way of knowing these were the same bikers, nor is there any evidence they were doing any of this at the time. He sprayed them because he could. He will get away with it. He committed assault and not a charge will be filed. I wonder how it would have turned out had the roles been reversed. Edited by LagerHead
  • Like 1

Usually I side with the cops when a group of bikers are involved, as it seemingly doesn't take much for a large group of bikers to think they have special rights on the road.  However, this story has me wondering which side deserves my scorn more.  If this were a cop in my area, I suppose my tax dollars paying his salary would factor into the decision. 

• Like 1

As a matter of fact, no I don't consider them to be crimes. Annoying, douchebaggy, and assholish, yes. But remember, all crimes authorize police to use deadly force. I don't believe being a douchebag is worth shooting someone over.
And let us not forget: This cop had no way of knowing these were the same bikers, nor is there any evidence they were doing any of this at the time. He sprayed them because he could. He will get away with it. He committed assault and not a charge will be filed. I wonder how it would have turned out had the roles been reversed.

You are largely correct. It's entirely likely the motorcyclists were being azzwipes and crowded the officer enough to provoke him. I fully believe his intent was to force them into moving over and away from him. Unfortunately that was a very poor decision and he's probably going to at the very least get some suspension time out of it. What's more likely is he destroyed his law enforcement career. I'll just wait and see what the end results are on this incident.

I don't think that's accurate.

I'm afraid it is. It doesn't matter how completely unjust the law is, you must either obey it or submit to arrest. If you resist an arrest, even for an obviously unjust law, you will be met with violence up to and including deadly force.
But don't take my word for it. Ask Eric Garner. Oh wait, you can't. He was killed for not paying the government a tax on cigarettes.
  • Like 3

Something that brings joy tooo my life.... Unrelated but kinda related.
If a motorcycle is tailgating me I wash my windshield till he backs off.

I ride a motorcycle, and do the same thing to a bike that just "has" to ride my butt.

• Like 1

And let us not forget: This cop had no way of knowing these were the same bikers, nor is there any evidence they were doing any of this at the time. He sprayed them because he could. He will get away with it. He committed assault and not a charge will be filed. I wonder how it would have turned out had the roles been reversed.

Well, as there are laws against such things as reckless driving, etc.and as breaking the law constitutes committing a crime I have to disagree with your definition of 'crime'.  Further, the cop pulled the pickup truck over because it was blocking traffic, etc. so, yes, they were engaged in at least some of those activities at the time and were, therefore, obviously the group of bikers on whom had complaints had been called in.

Again, the jerk cop was not justified in the actions he took and I am not defending those actions.  Some people are jerks and some of those jerks happen to have a badge and uniform.  Heck, I am one of the members of this forum who is often most critical of rogue cop behavior and I do not buy the, "It's a hard job and you wouldn't want to do it," stuff as a justification for being a jerk.  All I am saying is that the group of bikers were engaging in jerkish (as well as illegal) activity, as well.  As I said, some people are jerks and some jerks happen to have a badge and uniform - just as some jerks happen to ride motorcycles, alone or in groups.

Edited by JAB

Well, as there are laws against such things as reckless driving, etc.and as breaking the law constitutes committing a crime I have to disagree with your definition of 'crime'.  Further, the cop pulled the pickup truck over because it was blocking traffic, etc. so, yes, they were engaged in at least some of those activities at the time and were, therefore, obviously the group of bikers on whom had complaints had been called in.

Again, the jerk cop was not justified in the actions he took and I am not defending those actions.  Some people are jerks and some of those jerks happen to have a badge and uniform.  Heck, I am one of the members of this forum who is often most critical of rogue cop behavior and I do not buy the, "It's a hard job and you wouldn't want to do it," stuff as a justification for being a jerk.  All I am saying is that the group of bikers were engaging in jerkish (as well as illegal) activity, as well.  As I said, some people are jerks and some jerks happen to have a badge and uniform - just as some jerks happen to ride motorcycles, alone or in groups.

And I'm not defending jerkish behavior. But, no victim, no crime. Just because the state has said it is don't make it right. Hell, the state has said that teaching someone to braid hair without four times the number of hours required to become and EMT is a crime. The state has said that massaging someone's horse for money without a veterinary license is a crime. Yea, I get that in the "legal" sense it is, but from a justice standpoint, it's a crock.

• Like 1

And I'm not defending jerkish behavior. But, no victim, no crime. Just because the state has said it is don't make it right. Hell, the state has said that teaching someone to braid hair without four times the number of hours required to become and EMT is a crime. The state has said that massaging someone's horse for money without a veterinary license is a crime. Yea, I get that in the "legal" sense it is, but from a justice standpoint, it's a crock.

There is a BIG difference between what is just and what is legal in this day and time.
  • Like 2

If they would have had the least amount of respect for the officer and gotten over to give the officer room to safely do his job this wouldn't have happened. Not saying that the man isn't a douche or anything but it was avoidable.

Absolutely wrong, watch the video and see - that cop got out of the car with his finger on the trigger.  And ALL of the bikes in that video were at least half a lane over.  Were they supposed to crash into each other trying to pack into a single lane?

Cop is an idiot, should be fired at a minimum for that.  It would be no different than one hopping out and throwing a spike strip at your car as you pass.  If you can't see how absurd the entire situation, I'm sorry.

Absolutely wrong, watch the video and see - that cop got out of the car with his finger on the trigger. And ALL of the bikes in that video were at least half a lane over. Were they supposed to crash into each other trying to pack into a single lane?

Cop is an idiot, should be fired at a minimum for that. It would be no different than one hopping out and throwing a spike strip at your car as you pass. If you can't see how absurd the entire situation, I'm sorry.

I didn't say that the entire situation wasn't absurd. I said it was avoidable. Regardless of whether or not he had his finger on the trigger of the pepper spray, if they wouldn't have been in that lane he wouldn't have been able to hit them even if he tried the exact same thing. It's pretty simple actually, they could have sped up or slowed down and merged safely in to the other lane and the cop couldn't have reached them with it. I'm not arguing the case for either side here because I think that both sides are morons. But no matter how pissed off the cop is, he can't pepper spray you if you are out of his range.

Endangering the lives of other drivers by creating traffic hazards and driving recklessly is hardly the same as braiding hair without the 'proper' training.  Those things are hardly 'victimless' crimes as every, single person whose life, health and/or property was endangered by that behavior is a 'victim' of the behavior/crime.

Edited by JAB

Endangering the lives of other drivers by creating traffic hazards and driving recklessly is hardly the same as braiding hair without the 'proper' training. Those things are hardly 'victimless' crimes.

Sorry, I missed the part where someone was injured or had other property rights violated. Could you point me in the right direction so I can better understand who the victims were and how they were injured?

Sorry, I missed the part where someone was injured or had other property rights violated. Could you point me in the right direction so I can better understand who the victims were and how they were injured?

If you are walking down the street and someone is walking toward you, pointing a loaded gun in your direction with their finger on the trigger then as long as they walk on past you without shooting you - meaning no one was harmed - then would you say there was no crime?  Would you say that there was no, real threat?  Would you be okay with that?

Creating traffic hazards and driving extremely recklessly as complaints against these bikers stated they were doing is no less a threat to life/limb/property than someone walking down the street pointing a gun at you.  Heck, it could be more of a threat to a larger number of people.  More people are killed in traffic accidents than in shootings each year.  Many times more.

Edited by JAB

So if you are walking down the street and someone is walking toward you, pointing a loaded gun in your direction with their finger on the trigger then as long as they walk on past you without shooting you - meaning no one was harmed - then there was no crime?  Okay.  Gotcha.

Creating traffic hazards and driving recklessly as complaints against these bikers stated they were doing is no less a threat to life/limb/property than someone walking down the street pointing a gun at you.  But, hey, what's a little danger to innocent bystanders when these guys were having fun, right?

You know what? You've convinced me. Some people may have had to move their foot to the left a few inches and apply the brakes and use their steering wheels for its intended purpose rather than as a stand for their newspaper or their bowl of soup. I say we nuke them all from low earth orbit. Hell, this is practically a gang of Hitlers on two wheels.

In fact, fuck it. I say we just legalize running these bastards off the road if you so much as have to use your mirror for something other than applying your lipstick.