Anyone Install GPS Tracking on Car?

My daughter is about to start driving, and I'm having a tough time deciding whether or not I should install a tracking device on the vehicle.

While I desperately want to completely trust her to make smart choices, she is a teenager. Not only that, but she went through a period of a few years where she made some very poor choices, forcing me to question just about everything she said or did. The last year or so have been much better, but there are definitely lingering concerns.

Has anyone else decided to install one of these devices? If so, what equipment did you use?

3a1eca672638a7e5b59b6979e76f405e.jpg

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I'd consider doing both the "find my phone" app and a car mounted GPS. I'd also install a dash mounted camera. Then I'd sit down with her and have a discussion with her. She has the freedom to use the vehicle and go where you allow her to go so far as she abides by your rules. You have the right to check on her vehicle operation skills and be able to locate her if you are concerned for her safety.

Additionally the GPS and dash mounted camera can be used to provide a clear and unbiased representation of the facts if she's involved in an accident or is stopped by a police officer. If her friends have issues with this then they aren't true friends. If she has issues with this then she doesn't understand it can either save her life or save her drivers license.

• Like 1

I have a friend that has a car lot, "buy here, pay here" place.

He puts a GPS system in every car. Guess where I had my daughter buy her car, yep and I got the

GPS code to track her, worked great.

+1 for an OBD port device - they normally record parameters of the vehicle as well so you can watch her driving habits as far as braking, accelerating etc.) in addition to the GPS

I don't have a child, but texting on the phone while driving would be my first concern.  May want to look into an app that blocks texting/calls while the vehicle is moving  Not sure who your carrier is, but here is a list from Verizon.  http://www.verizonwireless.com/mobile-living/home-and-family/apps-to-block-texting-while-driving/

Edited by Sam1
I saw a movie once where a mother tracked the daughter's phone. When she wanted to go out with her boyfriend, she left the phone at her friend's house.

I could see a real teenager voluntarily leaving the phone behind if hormones are involved. I would track both the phone and the car, but I would be tempted to only tell her about one of the two.
In boarding school a friend of mine's dad put a tracker on his car and we ended up finding it. Not a good discussion to have with your kid. I would say in your case that it's a good idea and don't blame you in your case. Phone and car would probably be good, but only mention one.
  • Admin Team

As an old friend of mine used to say, "Trust isn't like a broken leg.  It takes a long time to heal."

You've already got some trust issues.  I expect your daughter may, too.  I would make sure that you have the conversation on the front end about your ability to see where she is and where she is going.  Otherwise, there's no positive outcome once you disclose the fact that you have that data.

You'd think that a conversation about trust, responsibility and oversight wouldn't be such a big deal, but in this day and age where those traits are so rare between parents and children, it has the potential to really blow up if you don't handle it correctly.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

In boarding school a friend of mine's dad put a tracker on his car and we ended up finding it. Not a good discussion to have with your kid. I would say in your case that it's a good idea and don't blame you in your case. Phone and car would probably be good, but only mention one.

Wasn't the tracking in Bell Buckle the local population?  I can't imagine you guys were able to set foot too far off of that property before all kinds of people would know what you were up to.

• Like 1

Wasn't the tracking in Bell Buckle the local population? I can't imagine you guys were able to set foot too far off of that property before all kinds of people would know what you were up to.

LOL. You know the area well it seems. Funny part is you're 100% correct about that. I have a pretty funny story regarding my speeding one day and the local cop. Edited by gjohnsoniv

As an old friend of mine used to say, "Trust isn't like a broken leg. It takes a long time to heal."

You've already got some trust issues. I expect your daughter may, too. I would make sure that you have the conversation on the front end about your ability to see where she is and where she is going. Otherwise, there's no positive outcome once you disclose the fact that you have that data.

You'd think that a conversation about trust, responsibility and oversight wouldn't be such a big deal, but in this day and age where those traits are so rare between parents and children, it has the potential to really blow up if you don't handle it correctly.

We've discussed the installation of the tracking device, and the reasons why I feel it's important. She doesn't agree. She got pretty upset after I brought it up again last night, even going as far as threatening to NOT drive the car. Of course I called her bluff. Needless to say, I wasn't even slightly surprised when she came begging for the car key this morning.
  • Like 1

There's a dash cam by Cobra that I installed in my daughter's car a few months ago when she started driving.  Not only does it record video and audio, but GPS data and speed.

She got a speeding ticked a few weeks ago.  She swears she wasn't doing 30 over the limit.  But, of course, the dash cam suction cup lost its seal, and she's not quite sure where it ended up...

Technology is nice.  When it works.  And, perhaps, when it isn't sabotaged...

ETA: Oh, yeah.  She's also paying for the ticket.  And the increase in insurance, if she can't get it dismissed with traffic school.  And she's buying a new dash cam.

Edited by Sheepdog
  • Like 1
Verizon has a product they sell that may fit your needs. I think it's called HUB or something. That and the app so text don't work while driving would be the minimum for my older daughter. Second oldest hasn't caused me to do anything besides the no text app, part of me says she learned from her older sister and I'm being bamboozled.
The product NcoMark is referring to is called HUM. Not only does it provide the GPS services, it functions as a roadside assistance service and helps monitor the vehicle function through the OBD2 port and remind you of regular maintenance necessities.

For phone apps, there are several. All require location services to be on. You can use Android Device Manager ID you know the Gmail info on the phone. It will display an alert on the phone saying it's been located. You can also try Lookout mobile security. I'm not sure if it alerts the user. With any apps, the trick is going to be this: Are you smarter with technology than she is?

I work for Verizon Tech Support so I've heard of some pretty creative ways to install and hide these things. I've also heard of elaborate ways to get around them.

My daughter wasn't very happy about the idea of being watched via this tracking device, but she has quickly learned to accept it.

It's not all about keeping track of a person, but there's also a safety aspect to it. I have a Ham radio license (tech). My Jeep is trackable via ARPS. I also installed a small, transmit-only tracker in my wife's car. She is diabetic, so should something happen to her (passed out etc), I know where she is and can direct medics, or hop in the Jeep and drive to her location. Since I have a GPS unit on my Ham radio, her location shows up on my GPS map. (I can even get turn-by-turn directions from the GPS to her location).

It can come in handy. Last year, after lunch with a girlfriend, her car wouldn't start. I hopped in the Jeep and drove to her to diagnose the issue, give her a jump, and drive to Autozone to replace the battery. All she had to say was "Honey, my car doesn't start." "No worries, honey, I'll be right there, wherever it is you are." :)

Edited by Obiwan
  • Like 2