Kidney stones and lithotripsy...

• Admin Team

I was a part of a conversation one time between a doctor and a patient regarding kidney stones and treatment.  I'll always remember the doctor's words.

He said, "it hurts about as much as cutting off a finger.  You wouldn't try that without anesthesia, so why try this?"

Wife had this done a few years back.  Was given anesthesia for the stint (spelling?), but not the lithotripsy.  She's had kidney stones since she was about 16 -- says it hurts worse than giving birth when those little buggers start moving.  So a procedure that breaks the stone up into smaller pieces (as I understand lithotripsy -- but I'm not a doc), she's all in.

As others noted --- sometimes we just hafta go with what the doc says.

I've been put under over 30 times and never had an issue, if you are worried about that, don't.  Especially if you are getting it done at one of the big hospitals like Vandy.

They will pop you with some stuff beforehand if you get anxious/nervous.  It's also the best sleep you will ever experience in your life.

• Like 1

Been there, done that several years ago - three times.  Might be different now but I remember they stopped the general anesthesia a little before the procedure ended.  They wanted you mobile quickly when they finished.  Imagine a giant rubber band hitting the same spot over and over.  Each zap hurts a little more than the one before it (or maybe I was waking up more).  You can suffer through a lot if that's the only option but why do it.

+1 on Mrs. safeandsecure's comment on passing a stone.  If you've never seen one imagine a 3-D object made of broken razor blades that are  pointing in all directions.  I can't compare the experience to giving birth but the fact others do gave me a whole new perspective on the females in our lives. 

The dope helps you stay still and calm. This helps the docs get at it. You dont have to get completely knocked out but I prefer it. Best damn sleep I get. Take some meds after in case some are still big. But I've been good to go after every time I've been zapped.

I USED to think general anesthesia was no big deal since I had it a few times in my 56 years with no issues. That all changed a couple months ago when I went under for a basic Prostate TURP operation. It was supposed to be one hospital night stay and home. Instead of going home the next day, I find out my kidney's had decided to shut down. The only fix for that was an arterial catheter they shoved into me about 3" from my groin under a Local. That was still felt quite well...... Then that catheter kept clotting on the blood dialysis machine so after a few more try's to no avail, they pulled that one out and put in a longer 21 cm long catheter in on the opposite side of the groin. Its not pleasant feeling a pair of rubber pipes being shoved up into your leg artery off the end of a wire to get them in place. That one was supposed to give me a full 3 hours of blood cleaning on dialysis also but no.... clots and more clots cut the treatment once again to just an hour. By then, Im so swollen, they are having trouble getting blood samples out of me. Creatine serum was up to 14 ( should be under 2) and BUN up to 68 from a normal 20. I was dying at that point from blood poisoning. The next move was to put a permanent arterial catheter in my neck but THANK GOD !!! the dialysis nurse figured out a chemical procedure that worked in clearing the clotting in the groin catheter.  This all took 15 days and I lost 16 lbs in those 15 days. I was a normal 200 lb guy that never smoked and drank moderately if at all with no issues what so ever. Not even a aspirin pill !  Come to find out, having a Kidney shut down is not unheard of after a General and more common than any Dr. is willing to talk about. Whats more, the chances of permanent memory loss skyrockets from General Anesthesia as a person gets into their 70's and its a given problem in their 80's. Good thing I had this prostate issue fixed now since the memory is bad enough as it is!

Sorry to rain on the parade here but there is always another side to the coin. 

As I understand it, there are various agents used for various "levels" of general anesthesia.

Some milder agents such as Propofol are used for procedures that are less invasive (such as lithotripsy).

I suggest asking your doc what will be used. It is likely a Propofol like agent that has much lower risk than many other anesthesia agents would be used in your lithotripsy. Edited by Djay3

Just tell them in prep that you are nervous, they'll fix the issue. Surgery prep/waiting is always the worst.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but...It don't get no better as ya' get older buddy.

Take my word for that. I'm more than twice your age. Not twice as smart by a long shot, but been thru a wee bit o' the anathesia myself.

• Like 1