how much would you pay for surgery for your dog?

Ask if you'd spend that much on yourself because that's really what you are doing.   The answer becomes easy after you answer that question.

I used to foolishly say in disbelief that there is no way I'd spend that kind of money on a dog.   I now have one laying at my feet that is very near and dear to my heart.   If I knew that he'd be fine and enjoy a reasonable quality of life after a several thousand dollar surgery I'd do it in a heartbeat.  

• Like 2
What Monkey said. Right now we're sitting on about $1,000 in bills. We're lucky it isn't cancer but now he might need a blood transfusion and he'll be on steroids and meds for the next 4-5 months at least. For us, we're a single income family and while we can make it, it's going to be tight. Luckily we have emergency money we can tap when needed. Max is between 10-12, as long as he is not in pain, I'll pay whatever it takes.

If you can't afford it all, there are organizations that are set up to help you cover payments. Dog charities. I'm not kidding. Let me do some digging through my Facebook messages and see if I can find some links for you!! Again, it will depend on his quality of life, but goodness gracious, if he's your pal and can recover, let's try. So I'm going to go looking for those groups!

Edit: http://www.thepetfund.com/

http://www.care-evanston.org/pet-financial-aid/

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 1

I know a girl who started a gofundme page then shared it on social media when her dog was diagnosed with cancer, she ended up raising a little over 3k to put twards the vet bills.

So true! But I would recommend YouCaring. It's geared more towards medical expenses and they won't take as much of the donations for profit.
  • Like 1

You have already received a lot of good input in the above posts.  I feel for you and wish I had more to offer.  I love my dogs, all of which are rescue animals from bad situations.  I would say gather all the info you can as to treatment options, cost and subsequent quality of life then make a decision based heavily on logic rather than emotion.  I know this can be hard and I hate that you and your pet are dealing with it. 

• Like 1

I spoke with the vets again today.  Going to look at the results early next week and most likely proceed with a bile acid test next in order to narrow the possibilities down to (hopefully) the shunt or chronic active hepatitis.  The hepatitis diagnosis means lifelong treatment (however long that is), but the vets all seem to think they can repair the shunt.  My wife has been a basket case...crying quite a bit.  We're all torn up.  But if the shunt is the problem, we're mostly likely going to proceed with the surgery and go all the way with this guy.  My main vet (a good friend of ours) says the surgeons lined up to do this are awesome...one was a department head at UT and was one of her teachers.  More to come...

We used to go to a vet that had you check a box on the paper work when checking in

It said "pet or member of the family"

Was a good way for them to understand how to approach you with treatment choices

Member of the Family. Where's the box for "Alternative Child Choice"?!? LOL

My friends sadly hit a dog yesterday. There's a house by us that has a ton of dogs all loose and they always run into the road. My friend was cautious but one was determined. They rushed it to the vet for care. Covered in blood they went back to inform the owner and they non-chalantly just said "it was bound to happen, did you put her down"? Needless to say my friends are now paying a lot of money for a new dog. I told her to name it Lucky and she said she was naming her Xena. I didn't have the heart to tell her she's a lesbian in the reboot they're planning.
  • Like 1

I don't know how I will react if anything happens to Kasey that would require me to make a decision that would require losing her. We have been best friend's for over 16 years. She goes with me every where I go and she thinks the jeep belongs to her and she lets me drive her around. I have a few very close buddy's and one of them mentioned his concern about the companionship there is between me and the mutt but he said I am afraid if I lose either one of you I will lose both. If anything should happen to me he will be the one that will take over her care. He knows all of the special things I do for her such as cooking her foods and only giving her Jacks Links jerky snacks. She gets nothing dog food related cause I won't let the Chinese poison my mutt.

• Like 1

We spent $2000 on our Great dane when he was 4 in an emergency stomach flip. It was two days before Christmas and a big part of our family. He lived another 4 years and passed about a month ago from the same thing. We couldn't get him to the vet but I wouldn't have put him throughthat again. It has been very hard on our family but the best for him in the pain he was in.

• Like 1

We spent $2000 on our Great dane when he was 4 in an emergency stomach flip. It was two days before Christmas and a big part of our family. He lived another 4 years and passed about a month ago from the same thing. We couldn't get him to the vet but I wouldn't have put him throughthat again. It has been very hard on our family but the best for him in the pain he was in.

My in-laws had two great danes - both died from the same thing.  Sorry to hear about yours...

Well all the tests are in and Axl most likely needs the shunt repair around his liver.  He tested positive for Von WIllibrand's disease, so they will need to do something different during surgery.  The surgeon and the other vets called today and are scheduling his surgery for 4/11.  He has to take antibiotics and some other meds, along with a special diet for 2-3 weeks (had already started those) prior to the surgery.  He doesn't feel good and he hates this new food - he is slowing down and just not right.  Hopfully he can wait until 4/11...B

Well all the tests are in and Axl most likely needs the shunt repair around his liver.  He tested positive for Von WIllibrand's disease, so they will need to do something different during surgery.  The surgeon and the other vets called today and are scheduling his surgery for 4/11.  He has to take antibiotics and some other meds, along with a special diet for 2-3 weeks (had already started those) prior to the surgery.  He doesn't feel good and he hates this new food - he is slowing down and just not right.  Hopfully he can wait until 4/11...B

I want you to know how sorry I am for you. We just found out that our Max has a tumor wrapped around his left aorta. Given his age and how expensive it was just to get the diagnosis, we aren't pursuing it further. Chemo isn't an option and in order to have surgery he would need a cardiologist from UT or elsewhere. My vet was very blunt with me that it just isn't something that is possible. I will keep Axl in my thoughts and prayers. I hope his outcome is much better.

Very much in thought and prayer...

We just found out that our youngest Cavalier Lou Lou (she is 7ish) has the onset of glaucoma and will need some drops for her eyes for the remainder of her years... Hopefully it is something I can find via other source than the local vet as it is like 40+ for a tiny vial. Our oldest Cavalier Ruby is 10+ and has a tiny heart murmur but I can't see putting her on lifelong meds as she shows no systems to speak of and her quality of life is very/very good; you can see that in her eyes and actions... Our middle child Bella well she has just been a special and odd girl all her life....

Don't know what I would do without anyone of our 3 stooges...

• Like 1

I want you to know how sorry I am for you. We just found out that our Max has a tumor wrapped around his left aorta. Given his age and how expensive it was just to get the diagnosis, we aren't pursuing it further. Chemo isn't an option and in order to have surgery he would need a cardiologist from UT or elsewhere. My vet was very blunt with me that it just isn't something that is possible. I will keep Axl in my thoughts and prayers. I hope his outcome is much better.

So sorry to hear about Max...sounds like your vet is a very honest person. Thanks for keeping Axl in your prayers. I'll keep you posted.
  • Like 1

If you follow this thread .. you can see that all of these dogs are purebred dogs.Each purebred dog has its own devastating diseases  to content with ..What does that tell us as what we are doing  and have been doing to these animals? Its not  just dog. Its cats, horses ,cattle anything we strive to make bigger, badder, cuter.. and the list goes on..Sad..

I hope there is a better outcome in the future for all of these babies..

• Like 1
I would go to another vet and get a second opinion in the meantime if your dog appears to be in pain you will have to make that decision so he can either have a good life for a painful life or go to doggie heaven I know it's not an easy decision but that's just my opinion. There are so many vets out there that will grind people for every last penny trying to put food on their table I understand it is how they make a living but you also have to be realistic about your expectations and your budget. Had a vet do a bunch of work on my rat terrier and tell us that she would only live for two weeks to six weeks all that was eight months ago and 1500 bucks later. Hope my input gives you something to think about it is not an easy decision to make but I pray it works out for the best for you and your pet