De-Prime before or after tumbling

De-prime - Before or After Tumbling  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you de-prime your brass before or after tumbling?

I'm preparing to start reloading for the first time.  Been reading about tumbling media and learning that some folks don't de-prime until after tumbling to help keep pockets clear of debris.  This seems to make lot's of sense to me.  What's the downside of tumbling after de-priming...is pocket inspection very arduous?  I'm thinking about starting with the lizard litter from Walmart (finely crushed walnut shells) as my media.

I now tumble with Stainless media, but never used to I always used walnut in a rotary, or corn cob in a vibratory. I never had problems with the media getting stuck in cases. This is with DRY media. If you add a cleaning agent to your media let the tumble run for a good while until it is absorbed by all of the media before adding the brass.

Walnut and corn cob media won;t clean your primer pockets well anyway so I wouldn't sweat it if the brass inst heavily used.

Stainless will clean the primer pockets like new and I now de-prime my brass every other or every third time to clean the pockets good.

When time and funds allow get a wet tumbler and SS media. It does a great job and cleans the bras in only 2-3 hours vs. 8+ for walnuts in a rotary.

just my 2 cents...

Deprime before here (Lee Universal Depriming Die), I have had media stuck in the flash hole (easily removed) but I started going with corncob with a larger grain and it worked out.  Now I do the wet tumble bit and haven't had an issue.

Shiny brass isn't required for reloading, but clean brass protects the equipment.  I deprime after tumbling and scrape out primer pocket grunge during case inspection.  If I were reselling the brass, it would be worth my while to make them sparkle, but for now clean and serviceable brass is my main concern.

• Like 1

I appreciate everyones input.  I'm going to start out tumbling before de-priming.  We'll see how that goes.

Just don't clean your brass too much or too long. That is why I made a post a few days ago about how my brass was sticking inside the die when I was expanding them. I called Lee and they said I was cleaning it too long. I had cleaned my 45 brass for 4 hours. I only cleaned my 9mm for an hour and never had troble outta it .

I now tumble with Stainless media, but never used to I always used walnut in a rotary, or corn cob in a vibratory. I never had problems with the media getting stuck in cases. This is with DRY media. If you add a cleaning agent to your media let the tumble run for a good while until it is absorbed by all of the media before adding the brass.

Walnut and corn cob media won;t clean your primer pockets well anyway so I wouldn't sweat it if the brass inst heavily used.

Stainless will clean the primer pockets like new and I now de-prime my brass every other or every third time to clean the pockets good.

When time and funds allow get a wet tumbler and SS media. It does a great job and cleans the bras in only 2-3 hours vs. 8+ for walnuts in a rotary.

just my 2 cents...

This  ^  although I don't deprime first, never had the primer inspector come visit.  But, if I were shooting bullseye or long range I probably would.

Just don't clean your brass too much or too long. That is why I made a post a few days ago about how my brass was sticking inside the die when I was expanding them. I called Lee and they said I was cleaning it too long. I had cleaned my 45 brass for 4 hours. I only cleaned my 9mm for an hour and never had troble outta it .

I don't get this too clean stuff.  Clean brass is clean brass.  If trouble sticking, try a little shot of Hornady case lube.

Edited by chances R

I've tried it both ways on my plinking ammo and I can't tell a difference.   My bolt guns on the other hand are tumbled for about 30 minutes and the they are neck sized and deprimed and go back in the tumbler for a few hours.    I think I'm going to try a wet tumbler soon.  For those that have them are they noisy or about the same as a tumbler?

I have an extreme tumblers 17 and its not bad. I can have a conversation next to it without yelling. It has a very thick rubber liner in the drum that helps a lot.

I doubt I'll ever use a vibratory cleaner again. Its a bit messy to drain, rinse, and remove the pins, but a rotary separator makes it very easy.

I can't see the brass being too clean and getting sticky, but I made a mistake once and used too much lemmi shine, and tumbled for maybe 5-6 hours and the brass was clean, but looked like it might actually have a bit of a patina on it. I wonder if this would cause sticking? It didn't seem to with me, but then again I'm using old CH dies that have loaded 30K + 45 ACP, so everything is worn very smooth.

Yea, I took note!  I could see myself cleaning for too long easily!

I always tumbled first until I started wet tumbling with ss media. I don't mind the extra step of depriming before tumbling. It gives me an extra chance to inspect, sort, and cull out the military crimped brass from the good stuff.