Stupid Question? Faux Silencer/Suppressors?

ma6907

I keep seeing more and more weapons listed as having "Faux Suppressors."  Forgive me if this is a stupid question but do they DO anything?  Why would anyone want one, other than (a feebile attempt) to look cool?  Do they serve ANY purpose?  Added size and ostensibly added weight.

I keep seeing more and more weapons listed as having "Faux Suppressors." Forgive me if this is a stupid question but do they DO anything? Why would anyone want one, other than (a feebile attempt) to look cool? Do they serve ANY purpose? Added size and ostensibly added weight.

Duh bro! It's for when they post a pic of their cool gun on Facebook people that don't know any better will drool over their "silencer".

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
Looks cool mostly.

I suppose it COULD help a little with muzzle rise by having that weight on the end of the barrel like that, but that's not the primary purpose.

This is in the handgun section so I am assuming you meant on handguns. On some rifles I can kind of see it because guns like Kriss Vector or a MP5 just look really weird with a 16" legal barrel and at that point it's more of a barrel shroud than a fake suppressor.
  • Like 2

I traded for a .22 rifle with one, it is a GSG 522 SD, the faux suppressor is for looks only. The barrel actually goes all the way through the tube. In this case I doubt anyone would buy it without the tube. They do make an adapter to actually use the tube as suppressor but I don't know how effective it will be since the barrel would only be inside the suppressed portion a couple three inches.

Mine looks like this one.

XGer4020119a.jpg
The actual MP5 it's based on

KAC-SD-b_1200.jpg

Without the tube/faux silencer

GSG-522-3.jpg

I'd stay away from them, I understand situations such as that that Omega has where the gun comes like that.  Otherwise if that fake suppressor reduces the sound of the gun firing at all you could be subject to being charged with having a suppressor that you didn't pay your tax stamp on.  You can go on and on about your rights to put fake suppressors on your guns and whatnot but at the end of the day for me, if I don't need it, it doesn't serve a purpose, and it will attract the attention of the ATF then it's not going on my gun.  I don't want to have any conversations with those guys regardless of whether or not I did anything illegal. 

• Like 1

ATF has been known to "cruise thru" public gun ranges posing as regular shooters but looking for violations of gun regs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not once have I heard this.

Please lets us know where you gleaned these "facts".

Personally is sounds like more fear mongering. Are you by chance a dealer who favors gun shows?

• Like 5
Happened while I worked at a range. The agent walked thru then IDed himself and asked us to report anyone with a silencer or automatic weapon. We told him we check for stamps; no stamp, no shoot. He left. Believe it or not, true story. PS - I am not a dealer, don' t give a rat's a** about gun shows one way or another. Just sharing an experience. I never said anything about charging for a faux silencer; you read that into what I wrote.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk Edited by Bill4282

I don't know if ATF trolls ranges or not but them bastards will charge you if they can: http://www.wnd.com/2011/04/289181/ Its not for a faux silencer, but Fd up just the same.  I don't know how ATF got involved here, but somehow they got wind of it then charged and convicted him.

Here is another BS ATF "ruling" concerning my particular rifle: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/17/atis-fake-suppressor-deemed-illegal-by-batfe/  I don't know how they deem it a suppressor even in its pre-recall state, the barrel goes all the way through the shroud and no gas ever enters it... Idiots.

And of course most everyone has heard of the infamous shoestring ruling:

ATF-shoestring-machine-gun-2004.jpg

Like I said, a bunch of idiots working at that Bureau.

Seems like if they say a shoestring could make a rifle a machine gun, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to expand that to bump fire setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the stupid part, attaching mechanical things to quickly pull the trigger are considered legal by the ATF (for now), just not electrical.  How a dang shoestring crosses that line is beyond understanding.  The same goes for the guy who was arrested, convicted, and served all his time for a malfunction.  I hope there is something not being reported about that situation, because with all these trigger jobs, and upteen AR triggers out there, there are many stories of malfunctioning triggers.

• 5 years later...

Found an excellent reason for a faux suppressor….to cover the permanent 8.5 inch barrel extension for my galil ace gen2 pistol, if the atf pistol brace worksheet is applied and my pistol is ruled a bsr. I was on the phone this morning with iwi looking for options and this seems to be the best way to convert the pistol in to a rifle. The barrel can not be replaced due to the mounting method used.  I will have the outer case threaded for inspection purposes. I have no intention of registering it as an  sbr. If the atf can change the rules then so can I. This is not a new concept as there is a couple of companies already making plans to employ this method. I will also then be free to mount any optic and stock I choose. Again this will only happen if the galil ace pistol is reclassified as SHORT BARREL RIFLE 

On 3/21/2016 at 9:37 PM, 10-Ring said:

Otherwise if that fake suppressor reduces the sound of the gun firing at all you could be subject to being charged with having a suppressor that you didn't pay your tax stamp on.  

The key word there is "fake". 

Fake cans CANNOT reduce sound signature, end of story. Fake cans should also not be confused with these so-called "solvent trap" oil filters. 

As already shown, the fake can on the USG MP22 makes the gun look much better, IMO. It adds little to the weight as it's aluminum & adds nothing to sound reduction. It does help protect the barrel from getting bent or dinged as well. Nice design, IMO.