TN College Employee Carry Bill

It looks like the college employee carry bill made it through house sub committee yesterday.  The bill was already pretty restrictive because it only legalizes carry for a employee carrying at the college he works for.  The bill was modified and made even more restrictive by requiring these college employees to notify the campus police that they are carrying.

What person is going to want to notify the campus police (basically also their job) that they are carrying?

So it looks like another worthless bill for the politicians to get their NRA brownie points in an election year and say they are 'pro gun' but in reality not help people with permits. 

Actually, if you read it closely, it only protects against criminal charges. It doesn't go so far as to protect the employee against adverse employment action (termination) for violating an employer's policy prohibiting guns as does the guns-in-trunks law from last year. While one couldn't be charged if this becomes a public chapter, one could still be fired.

Which the employer will find out when the employee notifies the campus police that he is carrying.  So basically no employee will carry legally in addition to people who aren't employees and still won't be legal.

Edited by 300winmag

Which the employer will find out when the employee notifies the campus police that he is carrying.  So basically no employee will carry legally in addition to people who aren't employees and still won't be legal.

I didn't listen to all of the testimony, but I think legislative intent would cover that.  

It looks like this bill has made it through committee in the House and the Senate a couple of days ago.  It will be voted on the floor in the Senate and move to a House education committee.

The bill has some changes that make this bill even more restrictive.  Basically the employee must notify the campus police that he will be carrying.  He also cannot carry in the school stadiums, any sort of hospital owned by the school, and disciplinary hearings.

This is just another highly restrictive bill that helps very few people trying to carry and protect themselves.  If I visit a college, I can't carry because I'm not an employee. 

I DO NOT support selective legislation regarding who can carry where. This being said, as a college professor I have to welcome any legislation that allows me to help protect the children under my care. I have felt hamstrung for years by stupid liberal head in the sand policies that are nothing but feel good garbage. ffr1910

• Like 3

I DO NOT support selective legislation regarding who can carry where. This being said, as a college professor I have to welcome any legislation that allows me to help protect the children under my care. I have felt hamstrung for years by stupid liberal head in the sand policies that are nothing but feel good garbage. ffr1910

Glad to see not all professors are anti-2A liberals. :up: 

In my area, most all of us are gun enthusiasts, or as some may say, right wing nut jobs. The libs think if students/staff have guns, it will be a wild west shoot out when grades are posted. The "gun in bars" legislation didnt result in druken ok corral, but this is different.....eyeroll

• Like 2

In my area, most all of us are gun enthusiasts, or as some may say, right wing nut jobs. The libs think if students/staff have guns, it will be a wild west shoot out when grades are posted. The "gun in bars" legislation didnt result in druken ok corral, but this is different.....eyeroll

This website might interest you: http://concealedcampus.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/ConcealedCampus

I did a speech in my public speaking class at MTSU on Campus Carry. I'm sure it shocked everyone. :D

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the public college employee carry bill will be voted on in the state senate today.

The bill does require the employee carrying at a public college to conceal the handgun.  The employee can't legally carry at college athletic events or employee disciplinary meetings.  The employee also must notify someone that he is carrying on campus, such as campus police/security.

Too bad the legislature could not get a decent college carry bill through that would just legalize anyone with a handgun carry permit carrying on college property.

Too bad the legislature could not get a decent college carry bill through that would just legalize anyone with a handgun carry permit carrying on college property.

Can't have that, the Chamber of Commerce, Sheriff's Association, Police Chief's Association and UT would get the vapors...why allowing the permitted little people to carry just everywhere would lead to blood in the dorms and stadiums, positively unconscionable.

• Like 1

Looks like this passed the house today and is headed to haslam's desk.

Seems to me if I'm reading the amendments correctly, it simply allows carry if the college allows it. If that's the case, bets that any will? Like even one?

- OS

• Like 1

Seems to me if I'm reading the amendments correctly, it simply allows carry if the college allows it. If that's the case, bets that any will? Like even one?

- OS

After reading the amendments, this law is pretty much useless.  Perhaps this is the foot in the door to change it later????  I agree with OS, no college will allow handgun carry on their property.   Haslam wanted the the "opt out" provision and he got it. 

Edited by phiferran

- OS

Do you have the linkable details on this OS?  I tried to search for it late last night but my google-fu wasn't running apparently.

Looks like you are correct.  The House substituted with the Senate bill, which was passed in the Senate with amendments 1, 2, 4 and 5 attached.  SA0999 was Amendment 3.

Yeah, looking closer now, that's the way I get it, too.

Looks like this passed the house today and is headed to haslam's desk.

Looks to me like the House still has to vote on the substituted Senate bill?

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot