2016 Spring Turkey Season thread

So some of y'all may have seen this bird on Facebook, but I got to see it in person. My buddy Greg killed this yesterday and it is a true trophy, IMO. You'll never meet a nicer guy than Greg, and you would be hard pressed to find a better turkey hunter.

6 beards KY stud. It wasn't even the strutter.

There are more pics on the Jebs Chokes Facebook page and the NWTF Kentucky Facebook page.

51a72d5dff0f134633794a9a7e482479.jpg

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

• Like 3

Congratulations Whiskey. Another good bird. I've still not had much luck. This is got to be my worst season in about 5-6 years.

Hang in there. We called in 6 gobblers on 4 different set ups today. They are finally starting to act right.

Got to witness a tom flying up to his roost yesterday at dusk. Very cool.
1e5380f5149837c4cb94ea3311f97a21.jpg

This brought back memories of when I found out turkeys can fly; I'm not a turkey hunter and had only seen farm turkeys up to the point where I came to Fort Campbell on a training mission from Fort Bragg.  We were out in the back 40 doing a patrol when a ruckus erupted and our pointman started blasting away.  We expected an ambush by the Opposing Forces (OPFOR), so we began a break in contact movement, I was carrying the M-60 machine gun so laid suppressing fire as the team peeled off one by one .  After getting to our pre-designated rally point, we found out that it was a flock of turkeys we disturbed out of the trees and had a good laugh about it, which made the exercise that much better as the OPFOR had never even been close to finding us that night. 

• Like 1
Had my first turkey hunt ever today, was a great time, heard a couple hens and a gobble or two, but no luck, had a lot of fun and look forward to spending some more time in the woods trying to get me a thunder chicken. Enjoyed reading all the stories so far, good luck to everyone!
  • Like 1

Hunted Indiana this morning with a couple buddies. All 3 of us tagged out before 9am.
445251939a0aba01e72240871d4b56ba.jpg

9e434012c00fcfa108e6aaa33b2860d4.jpg

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 3

Got #6 of the year at Fort Campbell on Saturday. I should have gotten two, but I missed the second one. Best bird of this season. 20lbs, 10.5" beard, 1.25" Spurs.

d6a1bf65675e03e1b39e89966ee30d7f.jpg

• Like 2

I took a buddy out hunting this morning for his birthday. We've hunted a few other days this season with no success. He closed the deal this morning on a pasture bird.

96f01deaca61cba7ae3dc7f315d0c539.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Little late, but we didn't have any luck this year at our family farm.  It was our first year though, purchased some land in Fayette County back in February.  Heard some gobbles as well as a good bit of hens, but no luck, have seen plenty of both since the season has ended, I think they know!  In the past few weeks we have seen a hen with 8 poults and another with 10 on our game cameras, looking forward to next year.  Will hopefully take out some coyotes/raccoons which seem to show up more than anything on our game cameras between now and next season.

Enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures.

WGI_0010_(3).JPG

Edited by TomUT07
  • Like 2