Neck Sizing 30-30's

I've been shooting my Contender Carbine in 30-30 and it does present some reloading challenges(at least for me). You can't just full length resize the cases or they will headspace on the rim and not the shoulder. That was fine for my Marlin, but not the Contender. So I don't want to touch the shoulder for now anyway.

I have been "partially full length" resizing the cases, but was wondering if I could get away with just neck sizing. The fired cases won't just drop back in the chamber everytime. I think the body needs some resizing too.

But, to the question. Could I use my Lee 308 Collet Die to neck size the 30-30? Same diameter neck. The 30-30 is longer in the neck than the 308. I tried it a few minutes ago with a smoked case. It looks like it sizes the neck about 3/4 of the way down the neck.

Any suggestions? Caster, any ideas if this would work?

Thanks.

Why can't you just back your 30-30 sizing die off until it only neck sizes?

Because no matter how much you back it off, it still sizes the body a certain amount. To get the neck sized without touching the shoulder, I now have it backed out about half a turn, but the body is still being sized quite a bit.Just trying to extend my brass life.

I use 2 sets of dies for same caliber but different rifles to keep from changing dies each time I reload for the other rifle. You should be able to adjust the die so shoulder isn't moved back.

That's what I thought. Just back it out some more.

You can also purchase either a 30 caliber, or a 30-30 neck sizing die.

Edited by gregintenn
I've always used a dime with a hole drilled in it. Lay it on the shell holder, screw the die down like you normally would. The space the dime takes up keeps you away from the shoulder.

If you were rally serious about it, Redding makes some bushing neck sizing dies OR Lee will make a collet neck sizer for your 30/30 on special request.
Lee, obviously being the more cost effective of the two.
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

options:

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Neck-Size-Die-308/dp/B003HHNZUA

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116484/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-neck-sizer-die-30-caliber

to partially full length resize the body of your brass will not cause detriment at next firing.

I full length resize completely at each reloading. (30-30, 30-30AI, and 308 Bellm)

good shootin'

Jimmy 

• Like 1