Man blows off leg shooting Tannerite rifle targets

Pete123

43 feet? That's stupid. I've shot Tannerite no way would I shoot it at that distance, especially when set in a way to send shrapnel with the blast. Modern medical technology is the only reason idiots like this get to tell the story about the time that they blew their leg off instead of just dying.
  • Like 3

Read and viewed this earlier off site. The reporter I viewed did a suprisingly unbiased job of reporting and you could tell the local Sheriff was a bit put out by Tannerite explosion calls. In this case someone went to far and is now crippled due to his own reckless actions, he's lucky to still be alive. I'll hazard a guess that a lawsuit is going to end up being filed over this incident.

I wonder if it mangled his leg or tore it clean off.
It's amazing he is alive regardless. That would be a lot of blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the video he seems to scream, "It tore my leg off." I'm guessing that's what he meant.

Don't be too hard on the guy. How do you think he's feeling right about now? We've ALL been young and stupid. He was trying to have a good time and his lesson will hopefully help save many others the same fate.

Tannerite has warning labels for a reason, and that reason is to warn people who don't have enough common sense to realise that Tannerite may be dangerous. Guy is a moron plain and simple, and before you ask, yes, I did do stupid things when I was young, but nothing that stupid, which is evidenced by my still having all of my extremities, including fingers and toes.
  • Like 2

If you search YouTube for "tannerite lawn mower" you'll find a stupendous amount of videos of folks blowing up lawn mowers and cars (and my favorite, a barn). Looks like it has become knuckleheads favorite past time. Hopefully this incident will give others a moment of pause. (yeah, right...)

And thanks to that moron, media backlash about how "smart" gun owners are is starting to crop up again. Every time a moron does something stupid with a gun, it's reflected badly on all of us.

• Like 1
It's clear he and his friends didn't even consider the possibility of shrapnel from the explosion when he setup for this YouTube moment of fame. I feel bad for the guy; he had a momentary glitch in his logic processing. This mistake may cost him his leg, his job/career, tons of money, embarrassment, but luckily not his life. Just saying, this particular lapse in judgement shouldn't ruin a guy's life. Now if he'd been drinking or clowning or whatever, I would have less sympathy.

On the other hand...I know it sounds cold to even to ask this question, but should an insurance company have to pay out for AD&D or even hospital bills for an act of negligence like this?

The first time I shot a can of tannerite, I made the remark that this chit ain't gonna be legal long. I stand by that.

It's going to be tough outlawing this stuff, seeing how its a binary explosive and these ingredients are not able to be classified as an explosive by itself.  No, I see the use of these being outlawed not the sale, sort of how they try and control fireworks.  But I had the same thought when I first seen it, it won't be long.