Man blows off leg shooting Tannerite rifle targets

Pete123

Read and viewed this earlier off site. The reporter I viewed did a suprisingly unbiased job of reporting and you could tell the local Sheriff was a bit put out by Tannerite explosion calls. In this case someone went to far and is now crippled due to his own reckless actions, he's lucky to still be alive. I'll hazard a guess that a lawsuit is going to end up being filed over this incident.

He could file a lawsuit, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on. Warning label says not to shoot it closer than 100 yards.

• Like 1

He could file a lawsuit, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on. Warning label says not to shoot it closer than 100 yards.

The lawyers that are the cause of those labels are the same ones that will sue.  There is always some sleazy shyster out there who would sue just to see if there a settlement to be had.  Maybe the warning label was not big enough or written in plain enough language for this unfortunate dolt.

It's going to be tough outlawing this stuff, seeing how its a binary explosive and these ingredients are not able to be classified as an explosive by itself.  No, I see the use of these being outlawed not the sale, sort of how they try and control fireworks.  But I had the same thought when I first seen it, it won't be long.

I did my fair share of,  lets see what an exploding target will do to this ................... (fill in the blank).  Not so much anymore.

Currently in Tennessee  it is legal to possess but as soon as you mix it you violated the current law.  You still see this stuff for sale in Tennessee but most retail stores have quit stocking it for liability reasons so they say.  You can read below what the attorney general has to say about exploding targets.

http://attorneygeneral.tn.gov/op/2015/op15-12.pdf

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
Hopefully it "de-manned" him as well so he can't pass on stupid genes. Dude was extremely lucky he did not kill his buddies or maim them.
Yes when I was younger we did stupid crap but none of my friends or myself blew our own legs off. Even when we played with explosives we used a little common sense.

I did my fair share of, lets see what an exploding target will do to this ................... (fill in the blank). Not so much anymore.

Currently in Tennessee it is legal to possess but as soon as you mix it you violated the current law. You still see this stuff for sale in Tennessee but most retail stores have quit stocking it for liability reasons so they say. You can read below what the attorney general has to say about exploding targets.

IANAL, but That opinion letter is pretty weak IMHO

IANAL, but That opinion letter is pretty weak IMHO

In what way?  It pretty much agrees with what the law says.  I don't like the wording here because it claims they can inspect and create problems for having/storing gunpowder,  and if you read it literally the act of shooting might be setting off a small amount of explosive which is therefore illegal.   There are probably exceptions for shooting in the laws proper, I am only speaking to the careless wording of this opinion.

In what way?  It pretty much agrees with what the law says.  I don't like the wording here because it claims they can inspect and create problems for having/storing gunpowder,  and if you read it literally the act of shooting might be setting off a small amount of explosive which is therefore illegal.   There are probably exceptions for shooting in the laws proper, I am only speaking to the careless wording of this opinion.

They sort of shoot themselves in the foot regarding these opinions though.  On one hand they treat these as law, while totally disregarding others, such as the whole Guns in Parks opinion.  

I did my fair share of,  lets see what an exploding target will do to this ................... (fill in the blank).  Not so much anymore.

Currently in Tennessee  it is legal to possess but as soon as you mix it you violated the current law.  You still see this stuff for sale in Tennessee but most retail stores have quit stocking it for liability reasons so they say.  You can read below what the attorney general has to say about exploding targets.

Outdated info, statute amended last year to allow for legal use of Tannerite and similar if 18 years old,  see current 39-17-1302, 39-14-702, and 68-105-120.

The bill history:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0874

- OS

• Like 2

Outdated info, statute amended last year to allow for legal use of Tannerite and similar if 18 years old,  see current 39-17-1302, 39-14-702, and 68-105-120.

The bill history:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0874

- OS

Thank you OS for this updated information.  An excerpt of the summary is below.

AMENDMENT #1 replaces the provision of the bill that would create a defense to prosecution for an explosives related offense for persons whose conduct was incident to using an explosive or exploding weapon to create an exploding target for use in lawful sporting activity or using an exploding target in lawful activity. This amendment instead creates an exemption from the present law offense for the possession, manufacture, transportation, repair, or sale of an explosive if:
(1) The person in question is 18 years of age or older; and
(2) The possession, manufacture, transport, repair, or sale was incident to creating or using an exploding target for lawful sporting activity, as solely intended by the commercial manufacturer.

This amendment limits the applicability of the other exemptions from present law that are described in the Bill Summary to situations where the person possessing part of an explosive intended to be used as an exploding target, or using explosive materials intended to be used for an exploding target, is 18 years of age or older.

I feel bad for the guy, but:   If you listen to the amount of tannerite that was used, ... calculate the forces involved ...  and/or when you watch the video and try to find the microseconds between when the round was fired and the shrapnel flew past the camera, I think you might deduce that... while you may have done something as dangerous as this... very few people on the planet have (recreationally) done anything way more dangerous than this even once... much less lived to tell about it.

The fact that any of them lived... much less all of them, is pretty remarkable.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 2

If you guys grew up in the south like I did, then I'm sure you guys can find it in your hearts to feel bad for the guy. When I was younger I did way more dangerous stuff and lived to tell the tale, only because I was a lucky sumbitch.

This is a fact.  If the price of being a "young dumbass" was losing an appendage, this would be my profile pic

weeb.jpg

• Like 2

I was a young dumbass but had enough sense to know that when blowing things up you don't want to be anywhere close.  I guess maybe I wasn't as big of dumbass as I thought.  

I just can't seem to muster up much sympathy.  I am more pissed that on top of his dumbassedness (I like to make up words  :nervous: ), we will probably also pay for his "disability" for the rest of his life :wall: .  

Edited by Hozzie