Man blows off leg shooting Tannerite rifle targets

Pete123

Thank you OS for this updated information.  An excerpt of the summary is below.

AMENDMENT #1 replaces the provision of the bill that would create a defense to prosecution for an explosives related offense for persons whose conduct was incident to using an explosive or exploding weapon to create an exploding target for use in lawful sporting activity or using an exploding target in lawful activity. This amendment instead creates an exemption from the present law offense for the possession, manufacture, transportation, repair, or sale of an explosive if:
(1) The person in question is 18 years of age or older; and
(2) The possession, manufacture, transport, repair, or sale was incident to creating or using an exploding target for lawful sporting activity, as solely intended by the commercial manufacturer.

This amendment limits the applicability of the other exemptions from present law that are described in the Bill Summary to situations where the person possessing part of an explosive intended to be used as an exploding target, or using explosive materials intended to be used for an exploding target, is 18 years of age or older.

I think the key phrase in this is "as solely intended by the commercial manufacturer".  It could be argued that piling this stuff inside or under something and blowing it up is outside what the manufacturer intended the product to be used for and is, therefore, not legal. 

I was a young dumbass but had enough sense to know that when blowing things up you don't want to be anywhere close.  I guess maybe I wasn't as big of dumbass as I thought.  

I just can't seem to muster up much sympathy.  I am more pissed that on top of his dumbassedness (I like to make up words  :nervous: ), we will probably also pay for his "disability" for the rest of his life :wall: .  

This...and witnessing another kid my age who'd patiently removed the black powder from gosh only knows how many firecrackers to place into a match box. He rather cockily set it up at the base of a tree with a fist sized rock on it and a few firecracker fuses twisted together. To my credit I told him it was a bad ideal and walked away while he was setting it up. After leaving I was told he lit the fuse, tried to run and was knocked down by the rock he'd left on top of his improvised fireworks device. It almost killed the idiot and his girlfriend dumped him afterwards.  

This...and witnessing another kid my age who'd patiently removed the black powder from gosh only knows how many firecrackers to place into a match box. He rather cockily set it up at the base of a tree with a fist sized rock on it and a few firecracker fuses twisted together. To my credit I told him it was a bad ideal and walked away while he was setting it up. After leaving I was told he lit the fuse, tried to run and was knocked down by the rock he'd left on top of his improvised fireworks device. It almost killed the idiot and his girlfriend dumped him afterwards.  

The stuff I did as a kid with gunpowder from fireworks would surprise most. I used to take Tester's model paint bottles that were clean, fill them with powder, punch a hole in the lid, and run cannon wick in them. I stuck them in holes or threw them in the lake, (weighted), so they'd sink. I always thought the reports of "Kid blows off fingers with Blackcats" to be BS. I knew better. I think my parents were surprised that I didn't go into demolitions or EOD. I guess they didn't think about 99 lbs of powder pushing a 147 lbs round of Comp B through a huge tube was the same. :)

LOL!!!

Where can you get it, LGS?

I ask not b/c I wish to imitate, but may have a  large amount of tree-stumps to remove in the near future.... and frankly a little of this seems safer than dynamite!

- K

Its just a version of anfo.   You can make it with disel fuel and fertilizer or you can buy the aluminum mix at gun stores (in some places) or you can just buy a bottle of reloading powder.    It don't take all that much.   A pound of reloading powder is 7000 grains.  a 9mm uses 5 grains or so.   1/10 of that 1 pound bottle would put that stump in the neighbor's window if you compressed it and directed it and all that.'

If you MUST blow something up, at least study the physics and be very careful.   Novices who blow their legs off and so on do so because of 4 common mistakes

- they didn't understand how much they actually were setting off

- they forgot that if the explosion is more powerful than the containing / directing structure, it will send said container in pieces out as shrapnel

- they underestimated their fuse/detonation device and how fast it would go after being lit.

- they didn't get far enough away fast enough.

Edited by Jonnin

Its just a version of anfo.   You can make it with disel fuel and fertilizer or you can buy the aluminum mix at gun stores (in some places) or you can just buy a bottle of reloading powder.    It don't take all that much.   A pound of reloading powder is 7000 grains.  a 9mm uses 5 grains or so.   1/10 of that 1 pound bottle would put that stump in the neighbor's window if you compressed it and directed it and all that.

Hmmm... Methinks I need to start  a new thread.

Thanks for the info!

- K

LOL!!!

Where can you get it, LGS?
I ask not b/c I wish to imitate, but may have a  large amount of tree-stumps to remove in the near future.... and frankly a little of this seems safer than dynamite!

- K

No not safer... I've blown stumps twice and both times it dared the %#&% out of me. It always workout OK but only because of distance.

No not safer... I've blown stumps twice and both times it dared the %#&% out of me. It always workout OK but only because of distance.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking tannerite vs. powder... plink away w/ the 22 from a safe distance vs. lighting a fuse and running like a bat out of...

- K

First off, while this was a completely idiotic decision on their part, you have to feel bad for this dude in some capacity. Lucky his friends weren't hurt along with him.

Second...liberal anti-tannerite bill is being written as we speak. Edited by MrJones79

Yeah, that's why I was thinking tannerite vs. powder... plink away w/ the 22 from a safe distance vs. lighting a fuse and running like a bat out of...

- K

Rimfire won't set it off, most pistols won't either, requires a centerfire rifle...

The thing is you have to be able to see it to hit it. If it's buried under a stump where it will do good you can't see it to shoot it.

I'd find another way that's not as unpredictably exciting...

Maybe a .17 or other higher velocity RF but I don't think a .22 LR has enough energy to make it go off, reliably at least.  Are there any other brands or just tannerite?  I haven't seen tannerite marketed for RF, I was looking at it once to see if a hand gun could set it off but unless it's a new product they only recommended rifles to set them off.

Edited by Omega

On the other hand...I know it sounds cold to even to ask this question, but should an insurance company have to pay out for AD&D or even hospital bills for an act of negligence like this?

Why shouldn't they?  I'd hazard a guess that at least 90 percent of auto accidents are caused by acts of negligence and they cover those.  I'd have to check again but I don't think any of my many insurance policies have a stupidity clause.  

• Like 1