Cracked windshield... what to do?

jgradyc

I have my third cracked windshield in the past 5 years. It's not a chip... it's a real crack that extended about two feet across the windshield on my Dodge 3500 pickup. 

The last two times this happened, I paid the $250 deductible and had it replaced by Safelite. But I've heard that some companies pay the deductible or part of it. I'd prefer to pay less than $250. 

Any suggestions on who I should use for this? I have USAA insurance and I'm in Nashville. 

• Authorized Vendor

I had mine replaced by Safelite a few years back and all I paid was like $50 if I remember correctly. May ask your insurance agent if they recommend someone and see what they say. Sometimes if you work with someone they are familiar with it may help you out. I'm not saying that may necessarily be right but I've heard that it sometimes happens.

I'm going to Safelite next Tuesday AM to have the windshield replaced on my 4Runner as it has a crack that grows daily. Called my insurance company (Erie) before doing anything.  They said go wherever you like and if it can be repaired they would waive the $250 deductible.  They've got a program with Safelite, just like many insurance companies do it sounds like, so I said that was fine with me as long as it's OEM glass.  That supposedly is what I'm getting.

• Authorized Vendor

I'm going to Safelite next Tuesday AM to have the windshield replaced on my 4Runner as it has a crack that grows daily. Called my insurance company (Erie) before doing anything.  They said go wherever you like and if it can be repaired they would waive the $250 deductible.  They've got a program with Safelite, just like many insurance companies do it sounds like, so I said that was fine with me as long as it's OEM glass.  That supposedly is what I'm getting.

I got OEM from them when they did mine.

USAA has coverage which covers windshields, tires and other items that can be vandalism related or incidental with no deductible.  We just had to replace my wives windshield and had to pay a large deductible, so we changed our coverage.

I had a windshield on a new GMC P/U replaced several years ago by Farm Bureah Ins. I called them, reported where the incident happened, they asked if I wanted it repaired or replaced. Once I said replaced they set up an appointment date, a window replacment company sent a truck to my house and the windshield was replaced with an OEM one. There was no deductable fee imposed on me.

I drove the roads and highways in FL for 20 yrs. Never once had rock hit/crack a windshield, Been in TN 10 years had to replace 4x and need a 5th. Most happened driving construction zones on I-65.

Yesterday morning my work truck got hit by two different rocks 50 miles apart, by yesterday afternoon there was a 2' crack. This morning I got hit with a third rock and then this afternoon a bird flew into it. 

I have an appointment with the glass folks next week. 

I would shop around.  depending on the vehicle, windshields aren't that expensive and if you are going to take a hit on your insurance, it would be worth it just to pay a few hundred out of pocket.

had the truck done last year, but we had bumper to bumper kinda coverage form liberty mutual, didn't cost a penny and wasn't listed as a claim.  Windshield without insurance was only like $300 though.

• Like 1

The windshields are of the same quality per regulations. The difference is in the install and warranty that comes with it.

For the most part that's correct, they all have to meet minimum standards.  On my Sequoia, I replaced the windshield twice, the first time I got a non OEM glass, all they had at the time.  It looked the same except the black mask near the rearview mirror, on the OEM it's raised like, while non OEM wasn't.  The tint was also different, not as good, less sun block.  I asked for OEM on the next one and they ordered it, no price difference, both through Safelite and USAA.

Edited by Omega

Yesterday morning my work truck got hit by two different rocks 50 miles apart, by yesterday afternoon there was a 2' crack. This morning I got hit with a third rock and then this afternoon a bird flew into it.

I have an appointment with the glass folks next week.

The only good thing about your bad luck was all of that was on the same windshield.
  • Like 1

For the most part that's correct, they all have to meet minimum standards.  On my Sequoia, I replaced the windshield twice, the first time I got a non OEM glass, all they had at the time.  It looked the same except the black mask near the rearview mirror, on the OEM it's raised like, while non OEM wasn't.  The tint was also different, not as good, less sun block.  I asked for OEM on the next one and they ordered it, no price difference, both through Safelite and USAA.

^this.  Make sure to check it out after install.  Some of the aftermarket ones are cheaper, thinner and if you look through it, you can see distortions in the glass when you look from the driver's seat out to the sides or from any other angle other than directly forward.  When they replaced mine I told them I was going to check it for any distortions and if there was a single one, they would be putting a different one in.

The non-oem ones may meet DOT standards, but that doesn't mean they are nearly the same quality as an actual OEM.

I would shop around.  depending on the vehicle, windshields aren't that expensive and if you are going to take a hit on your insurance, it would be worth it just to pay a few hundred out of pocket.

had the truck done last year, but we had bumper to bumper kinda coverage form liberty mutual, didn't cost a penny and wasn't listed as a claim.  Windshield without insurance was only like $300 though.

Agreed.  I bought a windshield for my Volvo last year and it was $200 including new trim.  No need to have that coverage on my insurance. :up:

• Like 1

I had a windshield on a new GMC P/U replaced several years ago by Farm Bureah Ins. I called them, reported where the incident happened, they asked if I wanted it repaired or replaced. Once I said replaced they set up an appointment date, a window replacment company sent a truck to my house and the windshield was replaced with an OEM one. There was no deductable fee imposed on me.

Same here. No costs. Covered under Comprehensive.

For the most part that's correct, they all have to meet minimum standards. On my Sequoia, I replaced the windshield twice, the first time I got a non OEM glass, all they had at the time. It looked the same except the black mask near the rearview mirror, on the OEM it's raised like, while non OEM wasn't. The tint was also different, not as good, less sun block. I asked for OEM on the next one and they ordered it, no price difference, both through Safelite and USAA.

Okay, the black mask around the mirror is the third visor frit,that is to help block the sun where the flip down visor do not cover. It is screen printed onto the windshield, it also completely outlines the windshield and basically the only purpose for the outline is to cover the gaps between the interior panels of the car. As far as the tint it is optional. A typical part number on a windshield would be DW1341GBY, this would indicate it was a Domestic Windshield and the GBY would indicate with tint strip and molding attached. A GTN would indicate no molding attached and no tint strip. They also have different colors. You could order an OEM windshield for a Lexus but then you would have to let them know if it was blue with or without shade, bronze with or without and a few more colors. Then there is always showing up to the customers with an OEM windshield but its wrong because they did not know they had a rain sensor. All's OEM means is who had the contract that year. Ppg and LOF have both had contracts for most all the major mfg and stamp their logo on them. The only other glass mfg that has not ever held one of those contracts is Safelite, therefore if you have a Safelite window it is NOT OEM but it does meet OEM specs. The difference in all of them is the quality control. Sorry if this seems like a rant but I had a customer this week that ordered a windshield for his new F350 and said he wanted a PPG windshield cause he didn't want that foreign crap in his truck so when I got there I showed him the PPG label that said Made In China, then there was the 2 separate jobs that had rain sensors on their windshields but didn't know it. It's funny how people act when they find out they can make the wipers work without having to turn them on everytime after driving them for a couple of years. Oh and I almost forgot the best one. A lady calls me up raising cane about me leaving the molding off of her windshield on her new Camry. I tried to explain to her that it was the way that most vehicles are being made with the raw edge glass and underlay molding and she wouldn't stop so finally I asked her to stop by the Toyota dealer on her way home and check the other Camry's. Can you believe she actually called me that night and apologized.
Yes, it's all about the install, if a windshield is bad they will or should come back and replace it. If its a bad install it maybe months or years before you find the irreversible damage that was done. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they are stupid ones and don't be afraid to stay and watch. I always invite every customer to stay and watch and ask questions. It's when they think they need to help is the problem. Edited by toby1304
  • Like 1

I needed one back in 2013 for my 2010 chevy pickup....I used  http://www.abraauto.com....I went online on a Thursday night, picked out what color of tint I wanted,,  got a price and an appointment for the next afternoon.....the installer came out to the house took about 40 minutes to install.  I paid him after the install.   

I am very happy, it has a darker and a larger tint area than the OEM  otherwise I can tell no difference between the OEM and the replacement.   I have no complaints.

I think the total bill was just under $200 

Edited by ou812
I'm in the same boat. I was driving up 27 going to Dayton last fall and a hickory nut fell on my windshield and caused a small crack in the corner. A few days later on a cold morning when I turned on the defrost it cracked all the way across.