Help me choose an A/T tire.

2015 Ram 2500.

I had issues with vibrations at highway speeds when I first got the truck. Had them balanced and it went away. 10k miles later it's back. I had them balanced again today and it didn't go away.

The tires I have now are Firestone Transforce HT with 41k miles on them. Plenty of tread left but I;m tired of messing with them and am looking at going with something a little more aggressive anyways. 

I like the looks of the BG KO2, the Nitto Terr Grappler and the Cooper Discover ATP.

I plan on going to Discount Tire and having whatever I get road force balanced. Anyone have any suggestions?

These will be Load Range E tires.

They are not the best looking tires, nor are they the cheapest but for function I can't say enough good things about Michelin M/S 2's. Though not aggressive looking they do great in mud and snow. Plus they are quiet, ride smoothly and quietly, and they will give 80,000-90,000 miles if cared for properly. I have them on my Tundra now and had the E load range tires on my F250 service truck. Very pleased with both sets.
  • Like 2

Been usin Dick Cepek Fun Country II's on the Wrangler...... Plenty smooth... All that bein said; its hard to beat Michelins of any flavor... If ya want smooth and long lastin, look no farther than Michelin or Bridgestone...

leroy

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD crew. It came with Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires. I hot 63k MI out of them and put them back on. Never any vibration and very quiet. This is the only time I ever put the oem tires back on a truck! Not very aggressive but I never had traction problems.
  • Like 1

I just got my 2nd set of Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on my Dodge 2500. They are great, I average around 38,000 on them. 35x12.50x17's.

I assume you have a level kit and aftermarket wheels? I was wanting a larger tire but can't seem to find any bigger with the 18" wheel that would fit stock.

I assume you have a level kit and aftermarket wheels? I was wanting a larger tire but can't seem to find any bigger with the 18" wheel that would fit stock.

Fabtech 4 1/2" lift front and 3" blocks on the rear.

Older pic...

image_zpspmngdxz2.jpeg Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1

I just got my 2nd set of Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on my Dodge 2500. They are great, I average around 38,000 on them. 35x12.50x17's.

Ditto on the Nitto.   :D    (Trail Grapplers on the Wrangler, like them a lot)

It sounds like I'm in the minority, but I've had horrible luck with Michelin on several different vehicles with tread life and traction. They were smooth and quiet but didn't hold up.

On my Ram and Yukon I like Nitto Terras, Goodyear Wrangler or BFG. Edited by Wingshooter

I'm on my second set of nitto terras. I like them alot.

Gomer...

How did these guys wear...?  Did they stay good n smooth and quiet as they wore...?   My nephew is at Nitto fan, but he hasn't run 'em far enough to have a "real" opinion on 'em... I like their looks too...

leroy

2015 Ram 2500.

I had issues with vibrations at highway speeds when I first got the truck. Had them balanced and it went away. 10k miles later it's back. I had them balanced again today and it didn't go away.

The tires I have now are Firestone Transforce HT with 41k miles on them. Plenty of tread left but I;m tired of messing with them and am looking at going with something a little more aggressive anyways. 

I like the looks of the BG KO2, the Nitto Terr Grappler and the Cooper Discover ATP.

I plan on going to Discount Tire and having whatever I get road force balanced. Anyone have any suggestions?

These will be Load Range E tires.

Years ago I had a similar problem with Firestone on my F-150. Long story short, they were out of round. Only way to fix that was to grind off material until they evened out. Naturally by then, not much tread left. Pulled them off & replaced them with something other than Firestone. Had another issue with Firestone on a T-bird years later. These were orig. equip. tires.  Never have another one.

Have Kelley tires on my current truck. They run, drive, quiet, great. on so good in slick fields.

Thinking my next set will be either Goodyear Wrangler or Toyo.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I have run all makes and models of all terrain and mud terrain tires over the past 20 years.  Presently I am running Cooper ST Maxx tires on my truck and have had a really good experience with them.  They are slightly more aggressive than an AT but not near as much so as an MT.

• Like 1

I have these on my 2010 chevy 4x4, Rocky Mountain  http://www.discounttire.com/rockyMountainATS.html  I had them also  on my wife's 2005 trailblazer ext 4x4. until last year.  I love them.  The only thing I don't like, we both lost about 3 to 4 MPG after installing them....

These replaced Michelin's that I had on hers.   Except for the MPG drop we could not tell the difference between these and the Michelins.  She was very happy with them.

It is my understanding that the Rocky Mountain tires are the same as the Falken Wild Peak tires.  The Rocky Mountain are suppose to be a direct tire brand!

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/4x4-tech/gear-review/falken-rocky-mountain-ats-review/

Edited by ou812