Shipping a firearm

Zydon

First off, if this is in the wrong place mods, my apologies. Question: My son is currently a Marine officer in 29 Palms, California. It is looking like he will be deployed in the very near future. He has a handgun that I purchased for him as a gift, and unfortunately he will not be able to come home and leave it here while out of country. It is my understanding he can ship the firearm from a dealer in California to my dealer here so I can take possession and safe keep while he is deployed. Please correct me if I am wrong..

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, if this is in the wrong place mods, my apologies. Question: My son is currently a Marine officer in 29 Palms, California. It is looking like he will be deployed in the very near future. He has a handgun that I purchased for him as a gift, and unfortunately he will not be able to come home and leave it here while out of country. It is my understanding he can ship the firearm from a dealer in California to my dealer here so I can take possession and safe keep while he is deployed. Please correct me if I am wrong..

Thanks

Z

It is actually perfectly legal by federal law for him to ship the gun to himself c/o you for safekeeping.  But actually doing it is problematic, since:

- can't do handguns by USPS

- UPS and FedEx won't ship between non-licensees anymore, so that's a no go assuming you inform them of firearm in shipment, which is required by both their TOS and federal law for shipments between non-licensees.

He doesn't need a FFL to ship it on his end, he can do it himself to FFL here. The problem is that FFLs on the receiving end expect to be transferring a firearm from one individual to another via a 4473, and I doubt if any would, or even legally can, simply give you the gun to keep for him, so you need to work out that part with an FFL on your end first before he ships it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Take it apart, ask UPS if they'll ship gun parts.

The frame/receiver of course is a firearm -- if you're gonna risk breaking federal law, might as well send it intact, likely easier to seek mercy of the court for ignorance that way. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Take it apart, ask UPS if they'll ship gun parts.

A "gun" is not the sum of its parts. You can disassemble it and send all the pieces mostly anywhere you want. The serial numbered receiver however is what the man and the various carriers consider the firearm. It must go through an FFL.

Apart from paying the triple whammy fees (pay extra to ship b/c its a gun, pay FFLs possibly twice..) I have a couple of suggestions..

- FFLs can send guns cheaper; I think they even have an "in" with the post office that allows it somehow.  So ffl to ffl with them doing the shipping is cheaper if the FFL is honest they won't charge you anything like the overnight/danger/gouge price of UPS or FedX.  

- its cheaper still if he has a very good friend that he can trust to store it for him; perhaps you are not the best choice? 

- Depending on estimated length of deployment, a gun range might have a place to store it that is cheap.

Edited by Jonnin

I truly appreciate all of your responses and suggestions. This is a very difficult time for us right now and we both agree if I can get procession of it by him shipping it would be a better thing for us. I actually got this handgun for him when he graduated OCS, so it is a very sentimental thing for me. I asked him about storing it on base, but he responded " Really don't want to do that, I might not get back there." I will call my local dealer tomorrow and ask for any suggestions they may have.

Thanks Guys!!!

Z