New motorcycle for this riding season.

Spots

So a club friend knew I was looking to replace my 95 Vulcan with something more comfortable and suitable for two up riding. So we made arrangements and I sold my Vulcan 1500 to a guy from North Carolina Friday night. Saturday morning I picked this up and put 500 miles on it that day. It's a 2001 Honda Valkyrie. Flat 6 cylinder motor, 110 horsepower or so, quiet pipes, aftermarket saddle bags and windshield, Ultimate touring seat for driver and passenger with backrest. Highway pegs, etc. It rides like a Cadillac and has no problem running 85 up the interstate for hours in complete comfort. My only complaint is gas mileage. It hovers in the upper 20's, lower 30's. Probably not bad for a 6 cylinder in a heavy bike running kinda hard, but I'll probably add a belly tank at some point for extended range. Anyways, I was excited to share.

My old Vulcan 1500

20160316_190919_zpsnyyjg6af.jpg

My new 2001 Valkyrie

My new 2001 Valkyrie

20160327_100258_zpsueuw5f4x.jpeg

Sent from behind the anvil

• Like 11

I agree about looking into your MPG. However congrats on the new to you bike. Ride safe as everyone in 4 or more wheels is trying to kill you on your 2 wheels. I ride a 01 Springer Softail and my head is always on a swivel while riding.

Edited by buck1032
  • Like 1

I would check the carb sync, air filter and spark plugs. Also make sure the tires are air properly. Should be getting 36 or better. Has it been sitting a lot. Run some seafoam through it.

Nice bike. Had a buddy that had one. It was a hoss. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I would check the carb sync, air filter and spark plugs. Also make sure the tires are air properly. Should be getting 36 or better. Has it been sitting a lot. Run some seafoam through it.

Nice bike. Had a buddy that had one. It was a hoss. Enjoy!

I know the plugs are new as is the filter. But he did say he hadn't had the carbs synced, so I will probably do that. The guy is very meticulous about maintenance so the bike is in excellent shape. I love it. Thanks for the kudos y'all

I agree about looking into your MPG. However congrats on the new to you bike. Ride safe as everyone in 4 or more wheels is trying to kill you on your 2 wheels. I ride a 01 Springer Softail and my head is always on a swivel while riding.

I learned this long ago, and practice it every day. I ride very defensivly and do everything in my power to control what I can and keep a good eye on anything I cant. Because we all want to come home

• Like 2
Nice upgrade. Those are some strong running proven motors.

I'm always checking every direction and always staying ahead of traffic. Some may call it unsafe riding, but I'd rather be watching what's ahead of me than having to concentrate on what's coming up behind me too.

Nice ride. Is the engine bigger than the one in the car behind it?

It's the same size. 1.6 liter lol

Good for you. Also glad you now have the time to ride.

You and me both man. I rode 50p miles this weekend

My buddy says his typically gets 35-40 mpg, worst mileage he ever got was around 20 fighting a 40 mph headwind out west.  He also says it seems to be common to rejet the carbs (all 6 of them! :eek:  ) way too rich, particularly when installing aftermarket exhaust.  So you might have a look into that.

My buddy says his typically gets 35-40 mpg, worst mileage he ever got was around 20 fighting a 40 mph headwind out west. He also says it seems to be common to rejet the carbs (all 6 of them! :eek: ) way too rich, particularly when installing aftermarket exhaust. So you might have a look into that.

Everything is stock, so I think I'm gonna start with a carb sync and go from there. The plugs and filter, etc are fresh. Not a biggie either way.