AR Upper/Lower Receiver Vise Block Options

Is the upper block strong enough to withstand barrel changes?

The DPMS one is. Similar style. I started out with the clamshell. It scuffs the finish on the upper when you torque down a barrel, and won't work with billet receivers. I have probably 10 barrel installs on my DPMS block. Looks like they are out of stock everywhere. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730930/dpms-upper-receiver-action-block-ar-15-delrin

I would not go the clamshell route since it limits which receivers it fits well.    I have the one mikegideon linked above and it works well.    

I received a Magpul Bev block as a present and it is a very good option as well.   The nice thing about that one is the steel lugs index into the barrel extension and it will not transfer any torque to the receiver body when torquing a barrel or muzzle device.     

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855360/magpul-bev-block-ar-15-action-block 

I would not go the clamshell route since it limits which receivers it fits well.    I have the one mikegideon linked above and it works well.    

I received a Magpul Bev block as a present and it is a very good option as well.   The nice thing about that one is the steel lugs index into the barrel extension and it will not transfer any torque to the receiver body when torquing a barrel or muzzle device.     

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855360/magpul-bev-block-ar-15-action-block 

I was actually just looking at the BEV Block. Based on your experience with it, is it good enough to replace the other type of receiver blocks? I'd much rather buy one tool that can be used for the upper and lower, but will I end up needing to buy another receiver block anyway?

I was actually just looking at the BEV Block. Based on your experience with it, is it good enough to replace the other type of receiver blocks? I'd much rather buy one tool that can be used for the upper and lower, but will I end up needing to buy another receiver block anyway?

I didn't receive the BEV block as a gift until after I had already built my last AR so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.    I did try the fit on my upper to see if it engaged the barrel like it should.    Everything looked correct and I have no doubt it will work as designed.   I believe it is a good "one vise block" option.   

Shoot me a PM if you want to borrow mine if you are unsure.    

I have put at least 20 lowers together without a block. I'm starting to believe I don't need one.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 3

Do you use the Geissele reaction rod for barrel install/removal too? Or just hand guards and muzzle devices?
Was buying today on amazon but the Internet abounds with warnings about not using for barrel work. Im assembling an odd shaped side charger and the reaction rod seems my best bet. Thanks for any info.
Edit- I've already ruled out the brownells version.

I have lots of faith in Bill Geissele as an engineer. I own 5 of his triggers. But, holding the barrel in that fashion scares me a little. Mainly, if you break a tooth on the barrel extension, you have big problems.

Edited by mikegideon

Do you use the Geissele reaction rod for barrel install/removal too? Or just hand guards and muzzle devices?
Was buying today on amazon but the Internet abounds with warnings about not using for barrel work. Im assembling an odd shaped side charger and the reaction rod seems my best bet. Thanks for any info.

I've used it for everything and haven't had any ill side affects.
  • Like 1

I've used it for everything and haven't had any ill side affects.

I have lots of faith in Bill Geissele as an engineer. I own 5 of his triggers. But, holding the barrel in that fashion scares me a little. Mainly, if you break a tooth on the barrel extension, you have big problems.

Either of you guys -  I listen to, and value opinion.

Now - my question - if the forces of a bolt slamming to & fro don't damage an extension, can Bert's puny efforts succeed?

Edited by R_Bert

Either of you guys -  I listen to, and value opinion.

Now - my question - if the forces of a bolt slamming to & fro don't damage an extension, can Bert's puny efforts succeed?

The bolt isn't putting that kind of force on it. If Geissele says it is ok, then I am sure it's ok. I assumed that he was the one discouraging barrel installation. If that's just a bunch of guys on the internet, I will take Bills word over it. I'm sure he did the math.

• Like 2

The Magpul BEV block works on a similar principle as the reaction rod by engaging the barrel lugs but it also doubles as a lower vise block and is about half the cost.
  • Like 1