What drills are you running?

These are obviously handgun drills. Hope you find them useful.

One I run regularly is Todd Green's F.A.S.T. Drill.... "Fundamentals, Accuracy, and Speed Test"...it is much more of a Test vs a Drill

I find it deceptively challenging LOL.  My goal, yet to be achieved by me, is to break the 5 second mark. Maybe one day...

btw...Gabe White is not like most earth walkers...he's pretty darned incredible, but works hard for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWYxy2noA4

Another drill I find useful is the DOT Torture Drill...another Todd Green / Dave Blinder drill.

The Dot Torture is designed to be run at 3 yards...then work at greater distance as you choose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WPda8eT2i8

Here's a link to printable targets, just scroll through for the F.A.S.T. and Dot Torture...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2124-Printable-Targets

I also have a pdf for a Dot Drill that we ran in Andy Stanford's "Surgical Speed Shooting" way back when that is excellent for working sight alignment, trigger control, and follow through...

but I haven't a clue how to upload the pdf... any suggestions?

I can always e-mail the pdf to you shotgunshooter...if you'd like.

I am "cyberchallenged" obviously... :wall:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A good test of CCW skills is the 3M Drill. Tom Givens uses this and it is actually a variation on the original "DTI Dance" from John Farnam. 

You will need....

IDPA target 5 yards away. Electronic timer. 9 live rounds and a dummy round. 1 spare mag. 

Pistol is loaded with 6 live rounds and 1 dummy round (1 live round in chamber and 5 live and 1 dummy in magazine. Dummy is not the 1st or last round in the mag.) Spare mag on belt (or however you carry it) loaded with 3 live rounds. 

Shooter starts holstered with hands up in front of chest . At the buzzer you will sidestep, draw and shoot until gun malfunctions. Sidestep as you clear the malfunction (tap/rack) and keep shooting until slide lock. At slide lock sidestep , emergency reload, and fire 3 rounds. The side steps are so you are not standing still in the same spot clearing or reloading while the bad guy is theoretically shooting at you.  

Scoring is Pass/Fail. Any round outside the -0 zone (8" circle in the chest of IDPA target) = Fail.

Failure to move on the draw, on the malfunction clearance or on the reload = Fail.

Failure to tap before racking the slide on the malfunction clearance = Fail

The "par time" is 15 seconds for students, 12 seconds for instructors. Of course the faster the better, but those are the "official" par times. 

Instead of pass/fail you can also score it with the Comstock method counting hits in the -0 as 5pts, hits in the -1 as 3pts and hits in the -3 as 0pts. Also subtract a 10pt penalty for any miss . This will generate an actual score vs simply passing or failing. So you would add up your points and then divide by time and then multiply that number x 30 . So a perfect 45 points (9x5=45) shot in 12 seconds (45/12 = 3.75 x 30 ) would give a score of 112.5 . According to Tom Givens a 100 is "very good work" and a 125 or higher is "extremely high skill". 

• Like 6

Dry fire before live fire.

Draw from concealment 5 times super slow thinking each part of the draw in your head with 1 trigger press.  Then,

Draw from concealment 5 times faster this time focusing on shot placement with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times as fast as you can with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving left with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving right with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving forward with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving back with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw, move to cover 5 times with 5 trigger presses.  Then

Draw, find a good close retention position 5 times with 5 trigger presses.  Then

Draw, activate your light 5 times with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Live fire each of those based on how much ammo you have.  Sneak some malfunctions drills into the live fire and you should be pretty good.    

9 hours ago, ehull20000 said:

Dry fire before live fire.

Draw from concealment 5 times super slow thinking each part of the draw in your head with 1 trigger press.  Then,

Draw from concealment 5 times faster this time focusing on shot placement with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times as fast as you can with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving left with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving right with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving forward with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw from concealment 5 times moving back with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Draw, move to cover 5 times with 5 trigger presses.  Then

Draw, find a good close retention position 5 times with 5 trigger presses.  Then

Draw, activate your light 5 times with 5 trigger presses each.  Then

Live fire each of those based on how much ammo you have.  Sneak some malfunctions drills into the live fire and you should be pretty good.    

How do you manage the 5 trigger presses with dry fire in a striker fired gun?  Seems like cycling the slide after every shot would be a bad habit to develop. 

I fold a piece of paper like a post it note about two or three times, insert it across the chamber and drop the slide.  It allows the trigger to be pressed without resetting the slide.  It isn't perfect, but it's alot less money than a SIRT Glock.  

• Like 3

Rubber bands also work. Take the thicker ones like the post office uses and cut it so that you have a piece maybe 2 inches long and fold it over. That will give you a length just big enough to insert into the ejection port and double the thickness of the standard rubber band. That will hold the slide just slightly out of battery so you can work the trigger multiple times on striker fired guns. Also because it is soft and malleable it will not prevent you from holstering so you can do multi shot dry fire work from the holster. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 3
On 7/27/2016 at 10:45 AM, Cruel Hand Luke said:

A good test of CCW skills is the 3M Drill. Tom Givens uses this and it is actually a variation on the original "DTI Dance" from John Farnam.

That is a lot of good stuff in a simple drill to set up. Will try this soon in the future.

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this back up to see how folks are doing, and if anyone has any new drills they are running.

I had to take about a 3 month hiatus from shooting to recover for a surgery I had. Getting old sucks...

I'm back to shooting the Dot Torture drill, FAST Test, and running Bill Drills to try and improve my split times while maintaining accuracy... always a challenge for me...

I'm using the 6" circle with the 1" square for the Bill Drills.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2124-Printable-Targets

I was working with some friends that are relatively new to shooting yesterday, and as they are new (Randy knows them...Tammy & Alex), incorporated some ball & dummy rounds into mags I loaded for them. I do the same for myself as It helps me practice malfunction clearances. It helps me diagnosis fundamentals for them.  

I also use the six 2" circles and practices non-dominate (weak hand) shooting from 3-7 yards with my J frame BUG. 3-5 yards are fine, I struggle with 7 yards...but accept the challenge.

I've printed out the 3M drill Randy posted above and will be running our group through it our next range session. I should have already done this...I'm a slacker...:mad:

So, what are you folks doing? :)