Any Holster suggestions for wife?

Hello Ladies. (I feel strangely awkward like I'm in the women's section of a department store asking for help. :P )

My wife and and a friend of hers are looking for concealed holsters. Just wondering what is working for you ladies. I understand there are some made specifically for women and have found a few. (And yeah I'm trying to get her to join the forum. She is just busy chasing our kids around, and Christmas isn't helping any.)

I'm not going to just pick one out for her, it will be her decision. I just wanted to narrow down the options a little for her.

Here are some stats that might help...

Height: 5'2"

Weight: What do you think? I'm stupid!

Weapon: M&P 9mm compact

Dress: Normally casual, form fitting shirts but doesn't mind a light jacket, or loose shirt over top.

Work: Mainly a stay at home mom, but cleans a couple of houses so she is bending and moving around a lot.

Experience: Raised around guns at an early age.

What she has said to me: Completely apposed to "purse carry". Is not comfortable with the idea of a "button" she would have to engage to release the weapon. Plastic, or leather she doesn't care as long as it is comfortable. She has already had problems with my holsters pushing the butt into her side while on the range.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm bigger than your wife (5'11"), but a belly band or a fanny pack is my favorite way to carry. I've been using both for many years. A belly band would probably work very well for your wife because it allows complete freedom of movement, it's very secure, it's so comfortable that sometimes you completely forget that you even have it on, you don't have to wear a belt, you can wear the gun at whatever position you choose, and it will work with any kind of clothing....not to mention it's probably one of if not the most concealable ways to carry a gun. I also like a fanny pack, because I've had my purse stolen before and I can carry my gun and my checkbook/wallet in it. If your wife decides to try a belly band, tell her to get a 4" wide one....they also make 5" and 6" and they're a little less comfortable than the narrower ones. If she'd like to try a fanny pack....Walmart carries a GREAT one for like $5.79.....it has a large back zippered (quick access) pocket that's perfect for a gun, and a front pocket for wallet, phone, etc.

I'm sure some more ladies will chime in and let you know what their favorite ways to carry are. Everyone's different and it will probably take some experimenting for your wife to decide what's best for her.

My wife carries a NAA Guardian in an R.L. Graham Poptop holster. It's the most comfortable combo she's found. It's an IWB holster that positions the pistol completely below the top of the belt.

I don't know what a woman's comfortable, concealable waistband holster for a medium/large handgun would look like. It seems to me to be a contradiction in terms.

Man that's a tuffy.

I never tried to hide a gun on a woman so that she could draw it and not look like an exibitionist doing it.

I can see the bad guy would be like "alright" when shes drawing and then "ooo:poop:" when he sees the gun

• 2 weeks later...

OK ladys time to pick your brains. I bought my wife a Taurus titanium 38 and she shoots the bulls eye out with it but says it is to heavy for her purse and to uncomfy to carry any other way. Does anyone have any good suggestions for her on a more comfortable way to carry concealed with a 38 snubby. I know all of you guys have an ideal but this is for the ladys as we are built a little diffrently ( good for us huh guys!!!) and things fit different on us.

Thank you for any info and Merry Christmas:)

Rando

I'd recommend that she give a belly band a try. Find a 4" wide one...the wider 5" or 6" ones aren't as comfortable as the 4" ones. The wider ones are useful for carrying heavier guns as they distribute the weight better and don't "sag" down where the gun is....but for a gun as light as a Taurus .38 Titanium, the 4" would work very nicely and they're super comfortable. I carry my Taurus .38 Ultra-Lite in mine and I can hardly tell I have it on.

eBay is a good place to find several different brands and sizes of belly bands.....Pro-Tech Outdoors makes a decent one for around $20.

Note: Rando, I moved your post to this thread because it was more relevant to this topic.