Gun shop owner refuses to sell gun to eligible customer

DaveTN

While I believe a business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone what is the difference between this and say....I don't know....a bakery owner refusing business? Just askin'?

While I see your point, the gun store owner provides a product that can cause a lot of potential damage to himself and others. Not much damage with the bakery except causing someone to get fat. :)
  • Authorized Vendor

While I see your point, the gun store owner provides a product that can cause a lot of potential damage to himself and others. Not much damage with the bakery except causing someone to get fat. :)

If I was a liberal I wouldn't agree with you.

• Like 1

While I believe a business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone what is the difference between this and say....I don't know....a bakery owner refusing business? Just askin'?

This wasn't based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.   This was on mental instability with the potential for death.  

I understand what you were getting at, but for me these are really apples and oranges.

I don't want to second guess any posts here but I think the gun store owner made the right call on this one. I trust my gut feelings a lot and most times I am right. He went with his gut and it turned out to be the right move.  There is little doubt that after the fight with the Hockey coach and dropping out of school and then going straight to a gun store to purchase a gun is a disaster in the making...........jmho

Any business owner has the right to refuse service to any customer for any reason.

I had a FFL for a while back during the 1980s. IIRC the rules stated that a dealer not only had the right, but a DUTY to refuse a sale to anyone who appeared to be intoxicated, suspicious,  unstable or otherwise mentally incompetent. I don't know if that's still in the rules today. Any current FFLs care to chime in on this?

I believe anyone should be able to refuse to do business with anyone for any reason. Let the market determine whether their choice is the right one. I have zero problem with a store owner refusing to sell to someone as long as they have not gotten any assistance from the government. If they have then they should but if they have not they should be able to refuse.

If I want to refuse to sell to someone because they are a protected class that should be my choice and I should never be forced to do business with someone I would not normally do business with. I am disabled but I completely understand if a business owner doesn't want to accommodate me in order to sell me something.

For a long time I refused to sell anything to anyone from California. I have even ignored offers based on their opinions and nothing more.
  • Like 7

I believe anyone should be able to refuse to do business with anyone for any reason. Let the market determine whether their choice is the right one. I have zero problem with a store owner refusing to sell to someone as long as they have not gotten any assistance from the government. If they have then they should but if they have not they should be able to refuse.

If I want to refuse to sell to someone because they are a protected class that should be my choice and I should never be forced to do business with someone I would not normally do business with. I am disabled but I completely understand if a business owner doesn't want to accommodate me in order to sell me something.

For a long time I refused to sell anything to anyone from California. I have even ignored offers based on their opinions and nothing more.

+ bazillion
  • Like 1

Any business owner has the right to refuse service to any customer for any reason.

I had a FFL for a while back during the 1980s. IIRC the rules stated that a dealer not only had the right, but a DUTY to refuse a sale to anyone who appeared to be intoxicated, suspicious,  unstable or otherwise mentally incompetent. I don't know if that's still in the rules today. Any current FFLs care to chime in on this?

This is no longer true.

Edited by Raoul

Howard, who has a history of mental illness, is being held on $125,000 bond for the possession of a firearm while allegedly being drug dependent or in danger of becoming so,"

What the heck?

Minority Report is being phased in -- soon, we'll all be under investigation for future crime.

- OS

• Like 2

Howard, who has a history of mental illness, is being held on $125,000 bond for the possession of a firearm while allegedly being drug dependent or in danger of becoming so,"

What the heck?

That's exactly what caught my eye.  So now if you break a bone or have surgery and need prescription meds, you can be charged with a crime if you own a firearm for having the potential to become addicted.

From that generic statement they could charge people that drink alcohol.  That's the kind of stuff the NRA ILA needs to be going after.

I don’t believe it’s a charge. It’s a term usually used in pretrial diversion that allows people with a drug problem to get their charges dropped if they complete a drug abuse program. It may also be used in mental health hearings; but I don’t know that for sure.

As with any job I’m sure there are those that don’t feel they have a duty to do anything. And there are those that take their responsibilities very seriously. My guess is this FFL is one of those.
  • Like 1

You mean you don't buy into the idea that there is a hidden clause in the Constitution that allows the Federal government to force business owners to have to serve "protected classes"?

I agree with you 100%. Neither the federal or TN constitution says that the government has the power to force people to have to serve everyone, but people would lose their minds if you suggest such an idea.