Shotgun help!!!!

SALK

I have a 2 yr old stoeger p350, no matter which choke tube I put in it the pattern shoots low and left. I patterned the gun at 20 yrds on a 10" circle and the majority of the pattern was barely touching the circle. The gun didn't do this the first year that I dove hunted with it. Any thoughts?

How do you know it didn't shoot low left when hunted doves?  Did you pattern it before you hunted then?  Have someone of slightly different stature and height shoot it and see where it patterns for them.  My guess it's the way you are mounting and holding the gun.  Sporting shotguns are made to fit the average person.  Some better shotguns are sold with shims to change comb height, cast and or pitch.  Just .125" in comb height can change your POI by 4.1" at 40 yards.  Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun and where and how you mount the gun will change the point of impact on a shotgun.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Like 1
Are you sure that the gun hasn't been dropped, or leaned on, etc.? A gunsmith familiar with shotguns should be able to detect a bent barrel easily enough as a well as eliminate other mechanical causes.

If it all checks out then it is likely how you are mounting the gun. Have you changed your hunting clothing, eye glasses, or anything else that could cause a change in your shooting?

Having someone else that you know shoots well with their own shotgun pattern yours is a very good idea.
The barrel is tight as I can get it. I can still however twist it some left to right. The first year I dove hunted with the gun I was hitting the birds real good. This year I could hardly hit them. When we patterned the gun two different people of different body types shot the gun.
Predator Masters.com has a topic in the "Firearms" section on pattering shotguns. This is geared more toward coyote hunting but some of the information is relative to small game. The topic is 63 or more pages but I am sure if you have time to read this info you will pick up some valuable info. There are some very knowledgeable people on PM. I was logged in as a member when I copied the link but you should be able to go to the forum and view the info from what I have given if link isn't good. The link is:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351&gonew=1#UNREAD

When we patterned the gun two different people of different body types shot the gun.

I assume you had the same POI result?  Like deadeye111 said, I have seen different brands of shotgun shells pattern totally differently as well as reloads with all the same components except for the wad have drastically different POI.  I would also shoot it from a supported rest and line it up with as near a flat rib as you can hold.  One more suggestion is maybe someone here has a P350 as well that would be willing to meet at a range and swap barrels to get the results.  This would definitely give you information about the barrel.

The only thing I haven't tried is off of a bench. The gun sits in a safe in the off-season and I am the only one that has used it. Time to upgrade I guess..

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout! Gitchoo a new one! Sometimes that's the best answer. ;-)

Had one a while back did same thing. Talked to my gunsmith and said drop it off and he would bend and pattern it until correct. Older pump not worth repairing,sold it. Gunsmith said he gets quite a few in a year. Come that way new? get dropped? who knows.

I have a Stoeger M3000 that I bought for 3gun. I had a rough time with patterns and recoil when I first got it. Felt like it kicked me right in the face every time, lol. I shortened the stock, added a Kickezze recoil pad and changed the included shims to adjust the stock. It was like shooting a totally different gun after I did that. Patterns are spot on, and the recoil is multiple times better. You haven't had the stock off have you? Maybe the stock has changed as some others have said. I wouldn't have believed the difference it can make if I hadn't experienced it for myself.
  • Like 1