Holster help needed

I'm looking for something that I don't believe exists!

What I want, is a secure holster for a 3.3" XDS, that carries the pistol lower than my waist band.
I guess I really want a western 'cowboy' style holster.
I've considered a drop leg, but for my intended use, it would be too restrictive.

This would be purely for hunting trips out West, where carrying a backpack & hiking long distances in steep terrain is the norm.

I've considered a chest rig, but carrying a large pack, plus a bino harness makes this impractical. I've also thought about carrying a regular, pancake holster on my pack belt, but the webbing isn't strong enough to keep it tight & I do have to remove my pack leaving me away from my pistol.

Does anyone know of anything that would fit my needs?

I've never seen one either, but Blade-Tech and 5.11 also make drop and offset rigs that accept Tek-Lok holsters. Might be cheaper to have someone make you a leather holster like you describe.

Do you dabble in Kydex at all Robtattoo? If you already have some of the Kydex working tools it would be fairly easy to make your self a drop/offset for an existing holster or make your own holster with a drop. I could probably send you some pictures to try and replicate if interested.

This is actually a common request from guys that wear body armor a lot that don't like their love handles.....I mean extra life experience skin....getting pinched between their plates and their belt level holster.

I say use a Blackhawk leg holster like the Serpa platform , they are not that restrictive and are very secure.  I have taken one of those into much rougher terrain than I imagine you will be in.  I have a leg platform I could let you borrow to see if it will work for you; but it has the Berretta 92 or 1911 holster, if you can find a Serpa for the XDS it will mount right up to it. I think I may even have a Safariland version for the 92 as well.  But honestly, if you will be up in the high country, I suggest you pack a little heavier, such as a .44, .45 or even 10mm.  Some of those critters up there get pretty big.  PM and let me know if you want to try it out.

541634.jpg

Is there any chance you could post a photo of you (or, preferably, some chick in a bikini.....) wearing the Fury holster please?

I've never actually owned any holster that was non-leather & I can't picture how all the bits fit together & where it would hang.

Omega: thanks for your experience, I'll give a drop-leg a second look. It's the band's around my thigh that put me off the idea.
Oh, my XDS is the .45 loaded with Buffalo Bore +p 255gn hard cast.
After toting heavy-ass Ruger .44s around for the last few years I figured I needed to lighten things up a bit.
I'll be honest, I've never dared touch off one of the 255s. I don't think the XDS is rated for +p. I'm betting my life (literally) that it'll hold up to 2 shots & from everyone I've spoken to, if a grizz decides I'm dinner, that'll be all I'll have time for anyway!
In the areas I hunt, that's the only thing I'll ever need it for. Down in the willows, the chance of bumping a moose are fairly high & for that I carry the mag loaded with 230gn flat noise solids

Is there any chance you could post a photo of you (or, preferably, some chick in a bikini.....) wearing the Fury holster please?

I've never actually owned any holster that was non-leather & I can't picture how all the bits fit together & where it would hang.

Omega: thanks for your experience, I'll give a drop-leg a second look. It's the band's around my thigh that put me off the idea.

The bands are pretty elastic, and comfortable enough.  The holster holds the gun real well so there is little chance of it coming out unless you want it too (practice drawing).

Oh, my XDS is the .45 loaded with Buffalo Bore +p 255gn hard cast.
After toting heavy-ass Ruger .44s around for the last few years I figured I needed to lighten things up a bit.
I'll be honest, I've never dared touch off one of the 255s. I don't think the XDS is rated for +p. I'm betting my life (literally) that it'll hold up to 2 shots & from everyone I've spoken to, if a grizz decides I'm dinner, that'll be all I'll have time for anyway!
In the areas I hunt, that's the only thing I'll ever need it for. Down in the willows, the chance of bumping a moose are fairly high & for that I carry the mag loaded with 230gn flat noise solids

Yea, those guys are formidable, and quick.  I've only run into one, and luckily I seen him before he seen me so I backed off, even with my 30-06 I wanted no part of that one.

• Like 1
I hear that! I had one on my antelope gutpile last year. We watched him from the truck at about 400yds. All I could think was "that's about 10 seconds!"
This year I'll really be in their back room.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry, no bikini chicks around here this time of year.  Best I can do is a couple of crotch shots.  But, ask and ye shall receive.  

49D1CCAA-07EC-4CAF-AA8C-283B17B4B126_zps

D4015518-0DAC-4E44-8062-77397FE0FEF2_zps

DF95DB5F-51FA-462B-9389-8F3E3B88893D_zps

Oh I see! That looks to be the very thing, thank you!
I like the fact that's it doesn't suit too tight to the body too. Plenty of room for a winter jacket to sit inside of it (open carry only in Wyoming for me) & easily accessible around my pack hip belt.

I'll give then a call on Monday to see if they can make one for the 3.3 XDS (they list the 3.8" so....)

I hear that! I had one on my antelope gutpile last year. We watched him from the truck at about 400yds. All I could think was "that's about 10 seconds!"
This year I'll really be in their back room.

Bears are pretty fast, but they can't run 80 mph.

I think any holster that drops below your belt will need to be tied down in some fashion, or it will flop around annoyingly.

I haven't used a thigh holster very much, but I keep one in case I want to carry and wear a backpack. That's also what Park Rangers use when they patrol the backcountry wearing a backpack.

Have you considered a chest holster? I've never tried it, but I think the shoulder straps and sternum strap could be arranged around the holster or vice-versa.
  • 3 weeks later...