Cast Bullets

Can someone enlighten me as to any pro's/con's to using cast bullets in a handgun?

I carry hollow points, but practice indoors and out, and have always used FMJ commercial rounds (American Eagle, Blazer, and Speer Lawman ordered in bulk w/ the occasional box of range-special). I'm getting into reloading, and looking to purchase a bulk quantity of bullets to use regularly (1,000+).

Will the lead wear/foul the barrel or cause any other differences from the FMJ I've been using? Is there a difference in performance? Not looking to cast my own (yet....), but purchase commercially made in quantity, and it appears I can save ~ $25/thousand by buying cast lead vs. jacketed. Rounds are just for practice, plinking, etc, but I will be using them @ indoor ranges and a lot outdoors as well (Member @ ORSA). FWIW - 9mm, S&W M&P or Ruger LC9s, looking at ~ 124 grain to match the Gold-Dot's I carry.

Thanks for the info.

- Kevin

You will get more smoke, and possibly leading in the bore depending on your load. Both aren't deal breakers, but things to consider. I pretty much only shoot lead outside. I use plated 75-80% of the time. Not as cheap as lead, not as expensive as FMJ, but pretty much all the benefits of fmj.

Dolomite nailed it!

We've run 130 gr cast powder coated bullets through an OEM Glock 34 up to 1350 fps and the barrel remained pretty darn clean and absolutely no signs of leading.

Our range rounds are at 1000 fps + and are incredibly sweet shooting.

Commercial lead bullets: I just this past week worked up a load for some 147 gr Falcon bullets I had on hand using Lovex Clean Shot DO32 powder. Primarily because of the lube with non-powder coated bullets, they do smoke a little...but not much. It's just part of the deal with such.

Slugging your barrel(s) and matching with the appropriate bullet diameter and running them at a reasonable speed minimizes the chance of leading.

Since I run Glocks primarily, I do have a couple of Lone Wolf barrels. No worries using the plain lead in my Shield though. (This refers to non-PC bullets)

When you get ready to cast and powder coat Kevin, let me know and I'll help however I can.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I think I should do some more research to understand better.

I've seen cases of FMJ's for about $100, and cast for ~$70, so thought I could save a few bucks more, but if I've got to coat and lube them... I'm thinking as a reloading rookie maybe just spend the extra bread right now to reduce the number of variables in my process. 1m rounds won't take me too long to breeze through... :D

I've got a handful of coated .38's from a good buddy, maybe try a few rounds of that to give it a try?

- K

Do the bullets have to be lubed in order to fire them, or is that from reloading (case lube)? Powder Coating eliminates this need?

I guess I'm not seeing much advantage to cast over FMJ (aside from a few bucks difference, cast seem to be quite the PIA vs FMJ, assuming FMJ are available to readily purchase - I _can_ see situations where cast might be the only option...)

- K

I've shot a lot of cast over the years and in my experience if you keep the velocity at 1000 fps or so, and use good lube the leading is not all that bad. I don't cast my own. I was going to get set up for it and just never got around to it.

You might try Bayou bullets, they have a Hi-Tek ,baked on liquid coating , instead of lube. I believe Federal is also selling coated lead ammo.With proper barrel fit,coated cast bullets will not smoke or lead your barrels. Can read about cast lead bullets at The Cast Boolit forum, you might decide to cast your own.Lot of information at this sight if you want to do research.

Do the bullets have to be lubed in order to fire them, or is that from reloading (case lube)? Powder Coating eliminates this need?

I guess I'm not seeing much advantage to cast over FMJ (aside from a few bucks difference, cast seem to be quite the PIA vs FMJ, assuming FMJ are available to readily purchase - I _can_ see situations where cast might be the only option...)

- K

Yes and yes, the bullets need to be lubed but the powder coating acts as a lube.

Beware getting into casting, it's a whole new addiction    :D

• Like 1

Yes and yes, the bullets need to be lubed but the powder coating acts as a lube.

Tell me about it, I'm trying to get a mold for over $100 and not even sure it will suit my purposes yet.

LOL! I used to mold/cast miniature figures for Dungeon's and Dragon's in the basement w/ my Dad's plumbing torch (back before we knew lead could kill you). I think I still have some of the lead ingots! Would mix it w/ Antimony, and old printer's type... Gawd, the things we used to do that could kill someone today,

.... Come to think of it, I don't think I'd let my 12-year old play w/ that thing these days, WTF were my parent's thinking?!?! LOL!

- K