FFL dealers in TN that won't ship to C&R holders.

I've got to rant a bit. I was recently looking at several guns on GB and came across two different FFL dealers in TN that made a point of stating that they do not ship to C&R license holders and that all shipments must go to another FFL dealer![emoji35]

I understand that dealers and individuals in a couple of states are hamstrung by the laws in their states and have difficulty sending directly to a C&R holder. I can also understand when there is a question or disagreement regarding whether or not a gun is C&R eligible. However, when an FFL takes the position that these idiots have done in a state like TN, why would anyone do business with them. I know I won't buy anything from these two dealers in Cleveland and Columbia, TN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't imagine who you might be referring to! :dirty:

Seriously, the great thing about the free market is that they are free to make silly decisions, and you are free to send them a very polite note stating "I was very interested in (name gun).  But since you won't sell to me because I'm a C&R, I bought one of those from another dealer outside Tennessee.  Have a nice day!"

• Like 2

Seriously, the great thing about the free market is that they are free to make silly decisions, and you are free to send them a very polite note stating "I was very interested in (name gun). But since you won't sell to me because I'm a C&R, I bought one of those from another dealer outside Tennessee. Have a nice day!"

If I were to send them a note, it wouldn't be too polite, so I've decided not to send them anything. Karma has a way of catching up to businesses that make stupid decisions.

I do buy from other dealers inside TN. I just wont buy ANYTHING from those two idiots. I actually found a gun similar to what I was looking for at another TN dealer that I like and they do accept C&R licenses. [emoji3]

If I remember correctly, firearms, including handguns can be shipped within the state, just like it was a face to face - NO licensing agent required.  They must be shipped by common carrier, NOT USPS

Sure between private parties. But the FFL that has the gun he wants can’t do that (unless he decides to accept his C&R)

I can understand a FFL not wanting to take any risks. I had a C&R that expired recently, I would be curious to know if there is some kind of issue that makes these dealers not want to do it.

Sure between private parties. But the FFL that has the gun he wants can’t do that (unless he decides to accept his C&R)

I can understand a FFL not wanting to take any risks. I had a C&R that expired recently, I would be curious to know if there is some kind of issue that makes these dealers not want to do it.

There are NO risks as long as a gun is C&R eligible. With a C&R eligible gun, then the transfer is just like any other transfer between FFL dealers.

The only thing I can think of is that C&R FFL (Type 03) is difficult to validate that it is legit.  All other types of FFLs (that a dealer would ship to) can be validated through the ATF FFLeZCheck website.  Name, expiration date, and premises address can all be verified using that website, but not for a C&R FFL 

Other than calling the ATF Licensing Center (and jumping through God-only-knows how many hoops), I know of no easy way to validate a C&R.  Some dealers may just wish to not deal with the headache if they cannot easily verify the license.

It's not to hard to verify that the license is valid. Whether or not something is C&R eligible could be the reason or ATF auditors may have found a flaw in the 01's books that involved a C&R and handed a fine. (This tends to make people shy away)    

There's a lot of dealers that don't accept C&R's, not just in Tennessee.  I imagine the verification is one reason, others just don't want to deviate from their normal procedures, and I imagine the volume of business from current C&R holders is negligible enough to validate their decisions ...

Seriously, the great thing about the free market is that they are free to make silly decisions, and you are free to send them a very polite note stating "I was very interested in (name gun). But since you won't sell to me because I'm a C&R, I bought one of those from another dealer outside Tennessee. Have a nice day!"

+1
If any business chooses not do sell something, or conduct their business to your liking, move on.