Extension cable ends

Anyone know where to buy male and female extension cord ends that will fit a 3/4" OD cable?  No one carries anything local.  Lowe's and Home Depot either.

I've googled and I can't find squat.  Even the overpriced RV suppliers don't show anything with a standard wall socket type plug.  

I have 50ft of (3) wire extra heavy duty insulated wire.  I wanna make a cable for my generator.  I need three male plugs and one female.  I want to use a short piece as a jumper with two male ends so I can shut off the breaker to a complete circuit and then plug the generator into a wall socket, thereby powering everything on that entire circuit breaker.  

If ya'll try this SHUT OFF THE BREAKER FIRST!!!!  If the power comes back on and the generator is feeding current in, you can kiss the generator goodbye and may be looking a nice fire too.  

Thanks

Edited by Caster

I just installed a panel interlock plate in my breaker panel.  That way you throw the main, slide the plate and switch on the generator breaker.  You can then power any circuit in the house that you want to without worrying about back feed on the generator or back feed to the main which could fry a lineman.  This is a good safe way to have plenty of options as to where you direct power.  The breaker for the generator input is run to an exterior weather proof box on the porch.   The design of the interlock plate is such that you cannot put power from the generator into the panel until you have disconnected the main from the utility pole.  This is quite a bit cheaper than a transfer switch and panel and it allows you to still be able to direct power anywhere in the home.  You can get the interlock plates for your breaker panel at Lowes or Home Depot.

Edited by tacops
  • Like 1

Please hook it up correctly. My life depends on it. You may have good intentions of flipping the breaker off but what happens if you forget or your not home and your wife hooks it up?

Hence the isolator switch!

I've been told it is possible for electricity to jump a main breaker in the off position. I don't understand how this could happen, but I do not want to be responsible for the injury or death of some poor guy trying to get my power back on.

As of now, I run extension cords to each appliance I want to power in an outage.

Edited by gregintenn
You wouldn't believe the people I deal with everyday! LOL
But, on a side note, everyone makes mistakes and forgets things. I realize doing it the "correct" way is expensive, so if you can't afford or are not willing to pay the price, please use extra caution every time you hook it up.

I have mixed emotions on the "correct" way. I think it's overboard but I guess like safety rules, they have to go overboard to protect the intelligence lacking folks.

Hence the isolator switch!

I've been told it is possible for electricity to jump a main breaker in the off position. I don't understand how this could happen, but I do not want to be responsible for the injury or death of some poor guy trying to get my power back on.

As of now, I run extension cords to each appliance I want to power in an outage.

My comment was intended towards you, it was a public announcement. Lol. Tear a breaker appart sometime, there is not much of a gap to bridge.
  • Like 1
Is it always going to be the same circuit? If so you could get the correct type of recessed twist lock, tie it into the circuit somewhere convenient and make a safe generator extension cable.

Just a thought, Mark

back in 92 we lost most of the house to hurricane andrew.  i was able to get the correct plugs from northern tools to make a cable to plug my generator into a house wall outlet.  i turned off the two main circuit breakers and plug the generator in. had power to the whole house.  i could drop rooms off the power by turning off breakers.  lived this way for months.  check with northern tools and these people, http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/.  

This probably isn't the solution you're looking for, but I have something similar to this for my boat. Converts the heavy guage wire and 50amp plug down to a standard wall outlet. I'm sure there's a cheaper and more efficient way to do it for your particular application though since you would need 2 male plugs and 2 pigtails. There has to be a better way.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14422-Pigtail-Adapter-Connector/dp/B002IZJD5S Edited by Wingshooter

Anyone know where to buy male and female extension cord ends that will fit a 3/4" OD cable?  No one carries anything local.  Lowe's and Home Depot either.

I've googled and I can't find squat.  Even the overpriced RV suppliers don't show anything with a standard wall socket type plug.  

I have 50ft of (3) wire extra heavy duty insulated wire.  I wanna make a cable for my generator.  I need three male plugs and one female.  I want to use a short piece as a jumper with two male ends so I can shut off the breaker to a complete circuit and then plug the generator into a wall socket, thereby powering everything on that entire circuit breaker.  

If ya'll try this SHUT OFF THE BREAKER FIRST!!!!  If the power comes back on and the generator is feeding current in, you can kiss the generator goodbye and may be looking a nice fire too.  

Thanks

What you want is a suicide cord.  If you call local eletriction one might be willing to sell you one.  They are very dangerous and no one in there right mind should be recommending them to you.  The proper way to do it isn't that expensive and will safe guard you, your generator, line men who are working on power, and your freedom if you make a mistake.  As long as you make no mistakes everyone should be fine but if you make one mistake you could be found guilty of a crime besides the guilt of hurting someone.  Way to much in my option to risk over a $100 in parts and maybe another $100 in labor.  

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

I think I got everything to make one up at the local Ace Hardware. I haven't used it, as I've yet to find anyone willing to install an isolator switch.

I need to look into the interlock plate tacops mentioned.

Interlocking plates are cheap and legal if you pay to have someone install then they can replace out your cord with the proper male outlet at the same time and you can use a standard cable.

Thanks

Robert

You might try McMaster-Carr for your girthy plugs.

As Gomer noted above, it might be someone other than ourselves putting our backup plans into use. For example; power goes out while you are a state away and the Mrs. has to figure out how to get the backup power going, and she may have been too busy rolling her eyes during the weekly SHTF drill to know that this breaker over here has to be switched off or on before this one lest the house burn down or a lineman gets fried somewhere. My dad remedied this concern at his house with a handy laminated card posted next to the breaker panel and one next to the generator to go line by line with the breaker/transfer switch directions and the generator start up procedures. He then labeled each applicable breaker, switch, ect with a number corresponding to the instruction lines.